Sign in to follow this  
en_zoo

Laesonar 1 - Unexpected Encounters [Part 1]

Well then guys, the wait was long enough, but here we go! :sweet:

Please allow me to present my very first build for GoH as well as the first chapter of Laesonar’s * adventures: Unexpected Encounters [Part 1].

Please mind the pronunciation, it’s important, you’ll see :wink: – ‘ae’ sounds /ɪ/ as in ‘bin’. ‘s’ sounds /ʒ/ as in ‘usually’ or ‘treasure’. ‘ar’ sounds /ə/ as in ‘teacher’ or ‘ brother’.

For those who don’t know: this is my 5th MOC ever --> all C&C are most welcome! ^^

29837795181_8cdc4eb9b8_c.jpg

As for the MOC: I’m obviously working on landscape, especially terrain and trees. See more pics in my Flickr album: Encounters 1

UoP credits: I feel like I can claim credits for the ‘classical’ trees [the big ones with brown and tan trunk - Landscaping, Trees, only one type out of the 3 required]. On the other hand, I’m not satisfied with the design of those ‘fir’ trees, so any suggestions on how to improve them is encouraged.

As for the photography/editing: it’s my first attempt at doing something more than just ‘taking a pic’. Comments will be most useful for me to learn (I’ve got no camera, just a Lumia phone) – if you feel like giving advice, do check all pics on Flickr, I’ve posted few questions there  :blush:

As for the story: again, it’s my first attempt and, being the first chapter, is a bit lengthy – I hope you enjoy anyways and I promise: next time it’ll be shorter :grin:

Thanks for reading/watching! ^^

Laesonar - Episode 1

Unexpected Encounters – Part 1

Nice and fresh, yes. Hmm, such nice and fresh air.. Really fresh.. How is it so fresh? I did close the window last night. What is.. ?!” Laesonar opened his eyes. He was laying down, supine. He could now see the green tree tops far above. Under his body, something vaguely soft, yet definitely not his bed. Some rustles, birds singing, the fresh air of a forest.

Where am I??” He sat up, looking around. Only few rays of sunlight were reaching down to the humid soil, cutting through the dense foliage of the tree tops. Up there, leaves and branches were fluttering gently in the morning breeze, while the air of the deep forest underneath was rather still, yet rather nice and fresh, indeed...

29293629593_fea8a6af8a_c.jpg

“My, my.. Now what has happened this time? I remember going to bed last night in the tree house.. The wizard was smoking his pipe and I said Good Night..” He was worried: he looked around and listened harder. “Only my sleeping trousers. This confirms I was in bed after all.. But wait, my katanas are here? What on earth.. ??

He stood up, picked up the katanas and whirled them with a quick movement of the wrist – they were undoubtedly his own. Incredulous, he looked into the forest and felt lost. The sensation made him feel childish, to which he quickly reacted: “Well then, let me see. I have no idea where I am and no idea how I got here. Has my memory just got even worse? I do remember my training with the wizard, as well as the tree house with the garden, right in the middle of.. ? Oh great!” He couldn’t remember the name. He felt angry, becoming then resolute. “Very well then, not much I can do about it. So, this looks like a path, the moss indicates the North.. Hmm, I do feel a bit thirsty so first things first: let’s find a river or.. Hang on. Something is coming. Hmm.. two ‘something’, from two different directions. What could it be? A nymph perhaps? A nice forest maiden?” He smiled, passing a hand through his hair. He cleared his throat and listened harder: “Hmm, no ladies, I’m afraid. Three men instead, one is heavier than the other two. And what do we have this way? It’s faster, so it’s going to be here first. Oh my, horse hoofs, yet lighter than a horse.. could it be.. a goat?! Hang on, a goat.. on two legs?!

The thought amused him and his sense of adventure suddenly spiked – he felt serene now. He shook some leaves off himself, wielded his katanas and waited.

He could see him now: a middle-aged faun armed with a tomahawk was walking quickly uphill towards him. Noticing Laesonar, the faun stopped for a moment and looked around quickly, then stared at him. He frowned, then smiled sarcastically, whirling his weapon and carrying on walking, just a little slower than before.

Laesonar: “Smiling, uh? That’s the spirit! I mean, after all he’s just seen an armed half-naked half-elf all alone in the middle of a forest!” Again, he felt amused. “So, let’s see: an experienced fighter, quick and rather strong. I might even like the guy! Only.. Oh man he’s ugly.. !

29806390642_c5b8549a59_c.jpg

Laesonar: “Good morning, good sir. I was wondering if you could please point me in the direction of a river, if it isn’t too much trouble.”

The faun, smiling, nodding once in agreement: “Good morning to you. I happen to come exactly from a small river. Just follow the path. But please allow me a question: how do you happen to be in this area, this early in the morning?”

Laesonar, nodding: “Now, THAT, good sir, is something I’d really like to know myself.” He replied, raising his eyebrow.

The faun’s sarcastic smile turned into a sarcastic grin, to which Laesonar reacted by grinning in the same way, in amusement: “Yes, the guy definitely has the spirit!

However, he focused on the other approaching steps: he could now hear a light clang. Thus, he became serious.

Laesonar: “Say, do you happen to know this area? Do you know whether small groups of armed men are in the habit of passing by?”

The faun turned serious as well and frowned: “They do, actually. And to my knowledge, there’s none that I particularly like, I’m afraid.”

They waited shortly: three armed men, displaying unknown heraldry, popped out right in the middle of the two from behind a big rock formation. They were all startled, and immediately unsheathed their weapons, bearing their teeth.

29293132884_f16f75c48d_c.jpg

Laesonar: “So, the big one is kind of strong, yet slow. The swordsman just average. As for the archer, he’s getting too close: he doesn’t have a clue.

The big man shouted: “Both of you, drop your weapons now and surrender!”

Laesonar, looking up to the sky: “Surrender to what? And why? And who are you?”

The big man shouted: “You lower creatures have no right to question anything at all! Drop your weapons now and none will be hurt!”

Laesonar, getting irritated: “Lower creatures?! Someone is lacking respect here, which does not bode well for..”

The big man interrupted him, still shouting: “You think you’re allowed to an opinion?? A half-goat and a bastard elf! Haha! What a joke! You will just serve as slaves.. ?”

He couldn’t finish as Laesonar didn’t think about it twice. The archer had got too close - he jumped and slayed him with a single hit. He then jumped towards the swordsman, who tried to hit, but he dodged easily and beheaded him. The big man screamed and attacked with his heavy mace: Laesonar was right on time to use both katanas to block the hit right over his head, shaking slightly.

29885454206_e249db1781_c.jpg

Laesonar: “Well, he has strength after all.. Now let’s see if I can..

He saw something flying towards the man’s back, who screamed in pain and dropped dead. Laesonar managed to step aside right before the blood overflowing from the man’s mouth could touch him.

The unidentified flying object was, indeed, the faun’s tomahawk – he was still standing in the same position. They looked at each other and smiled slightly.

Laesonar: “Well, I didn’t think you’d do that.”

The faun: “I could say the same.”

Laesonar: “Eh, what can I say, I hate people when they’re not polite!” They grinned again at each other, in agreement. The faun approached and picked up his weapon.

The faun: “I must say, your agility is rather impressive” He gave his hand to Laesonar: “My name is Ogrik.”

29626159590_931436157d_c.jpg

Laesonar, shaking the faun’s hand: “Ogrik? Really? But you are no ogre.”

Ogrik, chuckling: “Hehe, what can I say.. And you are.. ?”

Laesonar: “Oh, how rude of me! My name’s Laesonar.”

Ogrik, smiling: “Laesonar? Why? I mean, your enemies do have lesions after meeting you, I can tell. But you have no idea where we are, do you? So isn’t it rather you having a lesion? No offence meant..”

Laesonar, smiling back: “None taken. And well, both, I suppose.”

29293177834_9040f034a1_c.jpg

Ep. 2

Edited by en_zoo

It's great to see your first Avalonian build, and what a strong start you've made! Lovely forest look, and I think the landscape is your best yet. Nice color blending, plus height changes make it pop :thumbup:

Very fun story as well, and I don't think it was too long, just right I'd say :classic:

16 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

It's great to see your first Avalonian build, and what a strong start you've made! Lovely forest look, and I think the landscape is your best yet. Nice color blending, plus height changes make it pop :thumbup:

Very fun story as well, and I don't think it was too long, just right I'd say :classic:

Thanks Isaac, really glad you like it ^^

As for the story, well that's a relief! :grin:

Well done! This looks very nice. The foliage is nice and thick, the terrain is varied, and the trees are diverse in color, trunk, and style. It looks like, well, a forest, which is a great compliment. My favorite part is the tree with the tan/dark tan trunk; the colors look good together and create a beautiful birch-looking tree. The story was engaging and the fig posing complemented it well. My only criticism is formatting: in the future, start with the story right away and leave the notes and additional, overview pictures until the end. That way you can hook a casual reader more easily. The explanatory material can be a bit dry and might turn some people off before they look through the whole thing. Otherwise, though, it is a great start to your story and a wonderful build!

Great Avalonian build ! That's a great start !

You've perfectly caught the Avalonian style !

Great strong trees and vegetation all around are good representations of the forest in Avalonia. In particular, Congrats on your birch tree !

Good job ! A good MOC for a good intro to your story !

UoP DoH +1

The trunks are a bit basic, but the leaf-work counterbalances it nicely. For the next two trees credits, I will be expecting significantly different designs.

Very nice first build - you've got a very Avalonian landscape here with all that green! :thumbup:   Great work with the elevation changes as well!  +1 for the UoP tree credit - as gedren said, they're somewhat basic, but still well done.

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Well done! This looks very nice. The foliage is nice and thick, the terrain is varied, and the trees are diverse in color, trunk, and style. It looks like, well, a forest, which is a great compliment. My favorite part is the tree with the tan/dark tan trunk; the colors look good together and create a beautiful birch-looking tree. The story was engaging and the fig posing complemented it well. My only criticism is formatting: in the future, start with the story right away and leave the notes and additional, overview pictures until the end. That way you can hook a casual reader more easily. The explanatory material can be a bit dry and might turn some people off before they look through the whole thing. Otherwise, though, it is a great start to your story and a wonderful build!

thank you Henjin. You're right, the fact that it actually looks what it's supposed to, IS a great compliment - I'm very glad ^^ And good point about the formatting, I'll keep it in mind.

9 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Great Avalonian build ! That's a great start !

You've perfectly caught the Avalonian style !

Great strong trees and vegetation all around are good representations of the forest in Avalonia. In particular, Congrats on your birch tree !

Good job ! A good MOC for a good intro to your story !

I was hoping someone would say this, so thanks a bunch! :sweet:

7 hours ago, gedren_y said:

UoP DoH +1

The trunks are a bit basic, but the leaf-work counterbalances it nicely. For the next two trees credits, I will be expecting significantly different designs.

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Very nice first build - you've got a very Avalonian landscape here with all that green! :thumbup:   Great work with the elevation changes as well!  +1 for the UoP tree credit - as gedren said, they're somewhat basic, but still well done.

Thank you both. I didn't want to engage in any particular design for my first go, just feel like I'm ok with the basic. Next ones, though, they're a different story - I'll give it a good thought :wink:

6 hours ago, TitusV said:

ovely vegetation, just the amaount of leaves is stunning!

thanks Titus, glad you like it ^^

and yes, I've found a local shop with sales on, so I've stocked up a bit on leaves 

:tongue:

Excellent first build, en_zoo! :classic:  The forest aspect is captured very well with the amount of trees and undergrowth you have here, and the path and story are great as well! :thumbup:  Keep it up!

You're really improving rapidly, en_zoo, each build you post I like more than your last! :thumbup: I can't wait to see what you'll be building a year from now :classic:

The irregular base here is superb, as are the color choices for the path and ground. The variety of vegetation you have looks great, and is very fitting for a forest scene; my only suggestion for the trees would be to add just a few more branches that are lower on the trunk, instead of having most all of the leaves at the top. Great job fitting in those angled sections as well, they blend very smoothly with the rest of the landscape :thumbup:

+1 for the UoP credit!

On 27/09/2016 at 7:27 PM, Garmadon said:

Excellent first build, en_zoo! :classic:  The forest aspect is captured very well with the amount of trees and undergrowth you have here, and the path and story are great as well! :thumbup:  Keep it up!

thanks Garm, really glad to hear! ^^

On 28/09/2016 at 3:42 AM, LittleJohn said:

You're really improving rapidly, en_zoo, each build you post I like more than your last! :thumbup: I can't wait to see what you'll be building a year from now :classic:

The irregular base here is superb, as are the color choices for the path and ground. The variety of vegetation you have looks great, and is very fitting for a forest scene; my only suggestion for the trees would be to add just a few more branches that are lower on the trunk, instead of having most all of the leaves at the top. Great job fitting in those angled sections as well, they blend very smoothly with the rest of the landscape :thumbup:

+1 for the UoP credit!

thank you John - you're one of those few who followed me since the very beginning early this year, so hearing all this from you just fills me with satisfaction. ^^

.. but my next build is gonna be tougher, I reckon, so I hope not to disappoint.. :blush:

UOP + 1 for the credit.

The MOC looks great!  The trees and photography have both really improved!  The landscaping and rock work is good as well. :thumbup:

One thing that I think you could improve is that the trees look a bit flat on top, which can be fixed easily by adding more leaves.  For trees, one nearly always ends up using far more leaves than planned!

UOP + 1 for the credit.

The MOC looks great!  The trees and photography have both really improved!  The landscaping and rock work is good as well. :thumbup:

One thing that I think you could improve is that the trees look a bit flat on top, which can be fixed easily by adding more leaves.  For trees, one nearly always ends up using far more leaves than planned!

23 hours ago, BrickCurve said:

UOP + 1 for the credit.

Thanks Henry, really nice to hear! ^^ And you're right, I was already thinking about a second go to that shop for leaves, if the sale is still on ;)

12 hours ago, Dubbadgrim said:

Great build and a solid collection of foliage - looking forward to more from you :thumbup:

Thanks Henry ^^ And well, next one is already in my head - hopefully not too long of a wait.. :blush:

3 hours ago, Blufiji said:

Nailed the Avalonian atmosphere. Nice dense foliage and thick trees. Great work!

Thank you, Blufiji - I do love your trees, so great to hear coming from you! ^^

On 08/10/2016 at 4:38 AM, Mpyromaxos said:

Great start!! Beautiful texture and scene!! :laugh: Great work with the trees also!!

Thank you, really glad you like it! ^^

Been meaning to comment on this awesome build/story combo for a while...

I always love to see GoH builds accompanied by such fun story telling and illustrations. And with such a sweet build too! You did an awesome job of capturing that forest look and feel. I think the restrained undergrowth is a perfect and accurate touch, since plants are limited to how much they grow under trees. The various tree designs are great too. If this is just your fifth MOC, I can't wait to see your 50th!

Again, kudos to a finely told and illustrated story. I think my favorite part was Laesonar's tracking ability, that was nicely written and quite interesting. I think Laesonar might be my new favorite GoH character!

Hey thanks so much ME, nice to hear from you! You've really motivated me to go on with the story as well as the builds ^^