Hi all,

As an entry to the TC10 contest I would like to try to make a side loaded recycling truck based on Mercedes Atego chassis. The pneumatic is powered by single L Motor and it will be using 7 cylinders. I'm building it for a while so the actual progress is from the first chassis mock-up to current state.

Planned functions

Pneumatic functions will be following:

• Side loading of trash bins
  • Trash compacting
  • Body dump
  • Tail gate opening
  • Cabin tilting

Other functions:

• Hog steering connected to cabin steering wheel
  • Fake I4 engine
  • Front and rear suspension

Schema of pneumatic system

640x426.jpg

Inspiration

The idea is build something like this:

with Mercedes Atego 4x4 chasis:

Atego4.jpg

Actual progress:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Cabin design

800x598.jpg

Edited by RabbiT_CZ
Changed image links

Great idea for the competition. You're making good progress, I look forward to seeing more.

Edited by grum64

Finally I made all the photos and video for the TC10 entry.

The final MOC has minor changes from the original plan. The trash compacting is controlled by separated valve and to increase responsiveness there are two pumps instead of one.

Final functions:

• Bin lifting and dumping by two 2x11 cylinders
  • Waste compacting by one 1x11 cylinder
  • Body dumping by one 2x7 cylinder
  • Tail gate opening by one 1x5 cylinder
  • Cabin tilting by one 2x7 cylinder
  • Two pneumatic pumps powered by L-Motor

Other functions:

• HoG steering connected to cabin steering wheel
  • Solid axle suspension on both axis
  • Fake I4 engine connected to rear live axle
  • Openable doors
  • Battery access and remote battery switch

Here is the required video (sorry for low quality as I was unable to get a decent video camera, so it is done on my smartphone):

All photos are here:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/RabbiT_CZ/atego

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by RabbiT_CZ

The contrast between the modest look (although I love that grille!!!) and the brilliant functions is just incredible! The container tipping using one cylinder is ingenious! And it is actually works. The model is full of nice solutions, e.g. the scissor mechanism for the compactor and the suspension. The only minor downside is the filminess, but I understand this is a compromise in favor of functions. Great work!

Thank you. The tipping with one cylinder is not ideal but I was limited by cylinders I have. The dumping body is pretty heavy so mainly because of this I had to add the second pump to be able to raise the body in a reasonable time. The first version also had the cylinder under more shallow angle and it was almost impossible to raise the body.

I suppose you used a lot of bricks from 42043 arocs set but also some from others? Or is it 42043 C-model? Do you plan to create instructions?

This turned our great. I like the squat look of the truck, and the simple colors look great.

I'm impressed with how smooth the compaction function works. After building a number of garbage trucks, I'm familiar with how much work that takes. Great job.

Looks great. Well done.

All these great builds are going to make voting very difficult.

the sticker on the garbagecan, is that lego? I never saw it on lego before... Or I missed this somewhere?

23 hours ago, Kaero said:

I suppose you used a lot of bricks from 42043 arocs set but also some from others? Or is it 42043 C-model? Do you plan to create instructions?

Yes, there will be a lot of bricks from the Arocs for sure. But there are also parts from the Unimog, some white parts ordered via Bricklink and from the other sets including a lot of parts from the Creator (classic plates, tiles, ...). The Unimog and Arocs are my only sets with pneumatic parts so I used all but one cylinder from them.

I'm not sure if there will be instructions. I don't plan it now. I have some early version of the frame in the LDCad but then it was changed from the original idea several times.

6 hours ago, matth said:

the sticker on the garbagecan, is that lego? I never saw it on lego before... Or I missed this somewhere?

This is custom sticker. Also the Atego label, Mercedes logo and Bluetec 6 logo are custom. It is just printed on an uncoated self adhesive paper. I know that the quality is not best but it served pretty well.

Just wondering if there is any chance for instructions. Getting a bit tired of looking at my Arocs and I think this would be a great replacement:thumbup:

I'm thinking about making instructions - probably just in format of LDraw model. At least for the cabin and frame. But it will take a time.