Dannylonglegs

Andromeda's Gates Non-Lego Art Thread

Why hello there, Fellow AG players, and random strangers who will likely view this topic at some point. I've had some freetime (sans-Lego) and did a few sketches of Dr. Long. 

Bob (or other moderator), I'm not sure this belongs in this subforum, since It's not a Lego creation. It's audience is here, but it may be better placed somewhere else? Not sure. :sceptic: I'll let you be the judge.

Anyways, here's a few drawings I made of Dr. Long. May make more if I have more freetime/the impetus strikes me. I decided on a silhouette format, since I'm not an amazing artist by any stretch of imagination, and up until recently hadn't really connected Dr. Long's face to an actual person's making it difficult to draw.

29210829224_d07023e9a8_z.jpgDr. Long Silhouettes by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

These scenes are all (at least loosely) based on scenes from builds I've made... save for one, which is from a build I will make a long time from now, but will be forshadowed within my next few builds, so I don't feel like it's a spoiler... 

One more:

29781315891_778b841544_z.jpgDr. Long silhouette by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

And a rather mediocre picture of what I imagine she'd actually look like in human form. Not the most flattering image, due to my lack of talent, and lack of a model that looks like her. As Goatman pointed out on Flickr, she does look older than I envision her.  

29863409575_40c11c37db_z.jpgDr. Long humanized by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

That's it for now, but I may draw more eventually, updating this thread as I do. :classic:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

By request:

29242800473_acc97d7484.jpg

"Yes, they are so like fruits! Bulbous and round, and fun colours! I so would like to squeeze them to test their firmness. Yes. They are like plump ripe fruits... in season to be plucked."

"Sure. Now about my research funding for project "Suburban Soccer Mom"..." 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I think it's great to have some non-brick AG works here. I've been wondering about how and where to present the historical maps I'm creating (my flickr followers have seen the first few)

Players doing things like this take AG to a new level of depth and interaction that only serves to immerse us further... 

... And I've just seen your drawring of Yseult so I'm buzzing right now : D

Glad you're enjoying them! I've been sketching things out since week 1, but up until now, most have been for planning future builds.... and they're not in any condition to display here. 

And, since you OKed it on Flickr, (I wanted to make sure you approved first before posting it) here is my sketch of humanized Yseult.

Pen:29797156231_2dc28b2c39.jpg

Pencil:

29868724485_ff767d1886.jpg

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Those are great pictures!

I use to draw my lego characters as humans too and now I feel like making AG Raven. Thank you! (inspiration to draw doesn't come too often)

1 hour ago, EpsilonEta said:

Those are great pictures!

I use to draw my lego characters as humans too and now I feel like making AG Raven. Thank you! (inspiration to draw doesn't come too often)

Thanks! I'd love to see how you envision her! Do you have an actress/public figure in mind that she looks luke to you? The more research I do on Potential character models, the less I like my drawing of Dr. Long, so I'll redo that at some point. It started as a doodle, anyways.

If you want to make this a "General AG non-Lego art" thread, that might be cool. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

14 hours ago, Dannylonglegs said:

Thanks! I'd love to see how you envision her! Do you have an actress/public figure in mind that she looks luke to you? The more research I do on Potential character models, the less I like my drawing of Dr. Long, so I'll redo that at some point. It started as a doodle, anyways.

If you want to make this a "General AG non-Lego art" thread, that might be cool

I havent managed to draw a face the same way twise so no real pearson in mind. If anyting, I would use a comicstyle drawn head for reference but usually I just use the look of the figure and hope the head don't turn out too horrible :grin:

If more peole want to draw it might be beter to use this as a general art thread instead of everyone having their own who will fall down and disapear. It might also encurage people to post scetches (not just of their characters but maybe aliens or plants too) if they dont have to start a new thread for "just my little drawing".

2 hours ago, EpsilonEta said:

I havent managed to draw a face the same way twise so no real pearson in mind. If anyting, I would use a comicstyle drawn head for reference but usually I just use the look of the figure and hope the head don't turn out too horrible :grin:

If more peole want to draw it might be beter to use this as a general art thread instead of everyone having their own who will fall down and disapear. It might also encurage people to post scetches (not just of their characters but maybe aliens or plants too) if they dont have to start a new thread for "just my little drawing".

I fully support this idea! That's a great idea. :classic:

Not drawing a face the same way twice is a big problem for me too... which is why I find it helpful to look at real people when drawing figures. My Dr. Long sketch suffered from my not looking at real faces while drawing it. :laugh:

Thanks, @Brickwolf!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Beginners and Historians, welcome to the unofficial corporate History of Andromeda.

I love the AG dynamic map that lives in my book marks but it only shows the 'current state' and while the timeline shows every build, you can't picture it from a list so just for fun, I've compiled the builds for the first month of AG and represented (hopefully) the development to the end of Maian 3815. It was a short month so not too much.

Dotted-line borders show 'built on but not controlled.

Solid colour shows 'control and is only faction to have built there'.

29757694371_0e13b2716e_c.jpg

You can see from the data that Octancorp gets off to a strong start. June will be the first 'full month' of building.

Please note that I'm not part of the official AG team, the logo and graphics here are my own designs just done for fun to assist this project, which I hope you will enjoy as new months are compiled and presented.

Thank you.

Ohh, I remember this! I was new and argued with the one week more senior Comander Turtle over wich routs to take (and neither of us was 100% clear of the rules).

But if you are going to continue this it should be in it's own tread "AG History" or "AG map progress" (don't think I can break it out or if my mod status even work again yet)

Edited by EpsilonEta

I find this topic fascinating, and love the contributions to it (you've got some serious chops, Danny!); it made me want to add my own, but then I realized that I have no conceptualization of my characters outside of their minifig appearance--they never existed to me in any other form.

That doesn't mean I won't add some artwork to this thread sometime, it will probably just be non-character based.

Love this, keep it up. :thumbup:

On 26 September 2016 at 1:00 AM, EpsilonEta said:

if you are going to continue this it should be in it's own tread "AG History" or "AG map progress" (don't think I can break it out or if my mod status even work again yet)

Happy to do that if you think it best. I will be continuing it in due course. When I do, I can just start a new thread and re-post May first if that's easiest.

When DLL started this thread I felt like drawing Raven.
It only turned into a small quick sketch like this:

29488544704_035b5fb3c6_z.jpg
-I look ridiculous.
-No you don't. And you have to ware something like that for them to take you serious.
-If I had my plasma rifle they would take me serious too.

But then yesterday I finally had some inspiration and made a larger version. When I finished (in the middle of the night) I was pretty happy with it.
Well, I must have been tired as today when I scanned it, it (the faces) look about as bad as they always do. I guess I just have to practice drawing faces but I prefer to imagine what the armor/clothing and hair look like (why do they need faces). Anyway, here it is:

29821812800_f86a3f9fd4_c.jpg

The armor is mostly based on the minifig but I got some details from the Varia Suit and an old character of mine that Raven is kind of based on.
Picture for reference:
18230417398_e7b1aa785a_n.jpg

Maybe sometime I draw a larger version of the head (but not likely)

18 minutes ago, Mr Greeble said:

That's me whenever I draw. :laugh:

And why I used to draw robots, aliens or people with helmets :grin: