Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

1 hour ago, makoy said:

To add a comment on design - compared to the old one, the new design has less contrast...?

I feel the same. It looks like white page with lots of grey text everywhere. A bit hard to find line between posts as an example. 

Notifications - cool new feature.

Is there a way to switch sound off for those notifications when someone posted while I was typing this?

Edit. There's only graphic mode whil typing post, no Text mode anymore. This was helpful, especially with lots of images or some specific post modifications to do.

Edited by zux
missed a point

None of the BB code seems to be rendering properly; I just dropped into both the Capitol Building review and the S16 collectable minifigs review and it was displaying all the markup code with the underlying links and image urls shown rather than acatually rendering them as links. I'm using Firefox, ABP and NoScript which might/might not be part of the issue although neither ABP nor NoScript have complained about anything.

It's a thankless task running a big site like this so I'll be one of the set that does say thanks and keep up the good work!

If I understood it correctly the BBcode issue should be fixed once all the posts have been rebuild. Jim said that it could take about a week for all posts. 

Also: I just noticed that the trade forums appear in the new content section. Is it possible to prevent it from appearing?

Edited by Legostone

51 minutes ago, zux said:

Notifications - cool new feature.

Is there a way to switch sound off for those notifications when someone posted while I was typing this?

Check the notification settings.

The forum looks nice and sleek. i admit, I have quite a soft spot for material-design, so the new look is absolutely fine for me. If I had to change back to the old layout it would probably look terribly outdated already ;-)

29 minutes ago, Legostone said:

If I understood it correctly the BBcode issue should be fixed once all the posts have been rebuild. Jim said that it could take about a week for all posts.

That's the bit of information that I was missing; I thought it might be something like that.

It might be worthwhile stating that a bit more explicitly in the front-page post; "it might take up to a week to rebuild all the old posts and that they might not display correctly until they have been rebuilt."

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Thanks for understanding! We had to upgrade numerous parts of the system and it didn't work out well. Some of the Admin have been working around the clock to fix the issues. I'd say that we still need a week or so to get things running smoothly and sort everything out. The most important thing was getting the update done!

There a eems to be an issue with Safari as the new site is not displaying on my Mac

Jim, works on my iMac OK on both Safari & Firefox - latest Mac software uploaded a couple of days OK - now OS 10.11.6

Doug

Edited by Doug72
omission

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Valid question. I have a 2560 pixel wide screen and it's....well....wide.

Let me check if we can max out the width or someting.

As far as I know, it was always a 'problem' that the site was constantly using 100% of the width.

At least, the previous version had it too. Nevertheless, I personally would like to see it a little less wide too, I'm using a 3440p wide screen and when using full screen... my eyes start to bleed (especially with this overly-white theme).

Which brings me to my 2nd point: all the white, light grey and a little more white. I do like the more flat design, but a little more color (or at least a little more contrast) would make things so much more clear and organized. Now it looks like a slab of text and images to me...

The site is nice, but I'm hoping the format of the forums address can be changed from the current /[number]-[name]/ format, since it simply being /[number]/ made it a lot easier to jump between frequently-visited forums.

I've also noticed that the edit function is a little buggy and sometimes takes very long to load.

As for the colors, I'd like it if it were either user-customizable or used a light blue rather than blinding white.

Edited by DraikNova

Thanks guys for all the work you do in your free time to keep the friendliest place on the net alive :classic:

Eh, I like the old colour schemes. I imagine the Historical Themes forum is missing them the most.

Save us, Hinckley!

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

Oh cool, thanks, for pointing this out! I looked through settings initially but wasn't lucky enough. Light grey text on slightly lighter background wasn't easy to spot.

Thank you already for bringing the forum back online after this upgrade!

I wish everyone on the team good luck with the remaining things to get them running!

:thumbup:

Keep up with the terrific work!

Even though my name and display name are the same the system did not remember my existence. Only the email address helped, otherwise this Eurobrick member would have vanished. :ugh:

I know that this update is going along with a lot of work, but I still need to comment that the look and feel is quite bad. :cry_sad:  Sorry!

3 hours ago, LXF said:

Looks horrible. too wide for my standart screen. previous version IS WAY BETTER. no longer shows from when the user is registered and his user number. 

HORRIBLE!!!!!

also creates spaces between lines if the "enter" button is pressed

The emoticons menu was better down. Also a lot of them are missing and the order is different

I HATE the new version. The downgrade IS the best option. I don't want to use this anymore. You should have asked before doing this,

Checked the mobile version.  VERY BAD. too hard to use. I'm out of here

Checked the user menu. My eyes hurt.

Somebody of the admins , please ban me , I will no longer use this new forum

I will be sure to ignore this. I volunteer to do this and have put a lot of time in to make this theme look less generic. I'm not the World's greatest CSS expert and this is what was able to do in the time I had to volunteer to the site. We're certainly willing to work on things that people want but you can be sure I'll leave the things that you don't like in because you are disrespectful.

If anyone has any constructive requests, please feel free to request them but if you talk to me like I owe you something, it won't get anything done.

3 hours ago, makoy said:

you can even resize your browser and see how it fluidly adapts to screen size.

There's more I can do on this, too. I need the time to get to it, but we have a lot more responsive capabilities. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I just switched that off. You now can use enter again like you used to.

It was you!!! That's driving me nuts! :laugh: Turn it back on!

3 hours ago, Bonaparte said:

There are still scripts running in the background for rebuilding all the forum content. This might take another week to finish.

Also our graphics department (Hinckley) will look into the remarks and do visual improvements.

You can all report stuff here, but please bear with us while we complete the post-upgrade work. 

Correction: I will look into constructive requests. I will not look twice at anyone who acts like a dick. :grin: Thank you.

I would also like to thank everyone involved in working whit this site. Take your time as I cant praise enough of all the hard work you guys put it to preserve the forums.

I will provide my feedback as well later when all the things have been worked out. Although I cant help but miss the old forum style, as it feels like it was like yesterday, as well when the Classic Pirates forum was re desinged... Time surely flies fast by! But im sure ill get used to the new looks soon  Humble Thanks!

Captain Becker

3 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Absolutely horrible on my phone. Can't see anything properly. Can't search anything. And theres a menu tab but nothing opens. Haven't checked pc yet..

If anyone wants to make comments like this, here is why it's useless to us:

1. Phone could mean this:

oldphone.jpg

Tell us what device you are on. What browser are you using. Is the OS up to date? Do you think we didn't check this on our devices before we performed the upgrade? We need more information to be able to help you.

2. Absolutely horrible is a better description of your attitude than it is of your experience. If you think you are entitled to have everything perfect and we are here to work for you, think again. If you think you should demand things from people who do work as customer service for you, then you are a horrible person.

3. Can't see anything properly. Is it a white screen? Is it a shop for men's motorcycle boots? Or is the table askew a little? The upgrade came with a fully responsive set of cascading style sheets so it should adapt to any screen. Maybe be helpful and take a screen cap for us. Or just pout and throw out crappy language. It's really up to you what kind of person you are. You choose your actions.

4. Can't search anything. Were you able to fill in a search field? Could you not find the search field? Did the lights go out and you dropped your rotary phone?

5. Nothing opens on the menu tab. So, just to clarify, you have opened the menu tab and then none of the links work? This would be where knowing if you have an outdated device, OS or browser would be pertinent information.

I say this a lot in the Rude Moderators thread, we are a volunteer staff and we dedicate our free time to this site and the Administrators have just dedicated weeks to this software upgrade. Why did we do this? Because a lot of people had complaints about their experiences that we couldn't do anything about since we were running on unsupported software. So we are giving our free time to improve our community and your experience and it only takes a couple seconds for you to poop on it. So, if you are experiencing any technical difficulties with the upgrade, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We continue to do as much as we can to make this a great community for LEGO fans. You are all very important to us, even those who aggravate us occasionally and we wouldn't dedicate our free time to you if we didn't have an abundant affinity for you and the entire community at large. So please, as most of you have, continue to be patient with us and provide constructive feedback with as much information as you can so we can do whatever we can to help solve the issues at hand as quickly as we can. And be warned, if you are rudely demanding of any of us, I will tell you what you can do with your entitled attitudes. Thank you all. 

oldphone.jpg.d257968aa09154aee43f591ff98

Just now, pittpenguin123 said:

:laugh:

Yes! Thats my problem! The whole forum is a boot store! 

See? That's specific. I can work with that.

Ahem...you have severe dementia. You need in–home care.

See? Problem solved.

This seems to have taken a lot of your valuable times, I'd like to say thanks to all the admins and other people who have been working on this for the past hours if not days, it's greatly appreaciated! :sweet:

I'll see how I will like the new features over time and will report back later here, so I'm not bugging you while you do the more important stuff first :wink:

First, I'd like to thank all of you moderators and admins who spend so much time to keep this forum running. IMHO, Eurobricks is by far the best LEGO forum on the web (and, generally, that one with the best manners) - that's why I'm posting here and not in a native-language forum.

One thing that I noticed after the update: I cannot see the members' signatures until I have signed in. Is that intentional?

Edited by Tenderlok

I personally think that they have done an amazing job in migrating such a large forum in such a short time, especially for a team of volunteers in their free time. So great job guys!

For the feedback, I like the new clean and plain look. The mobile version is working well on my Sony Z2 and looks better than the previous version in my opinion. 

The only remarks: I feel the quote and + sign are taking too much space/attention on each of the post, and a slightly darker gray background would outline each post better.