burlogh

Master Chen's Arena

My interpretation of Tournament of the Elements from Ninjago. The original story was a bit modified in this MOC, the ninjas cooperate with other elemental masters and facing against Master Chen instead of waiting for the revealing his evil plan.

The arena was inspired by LEGO Dimensions, though I've modified almost everything :)

29185216343_7b743d6750_h.jpg

29698152792_1f422ef84c_h.jpg

Beautiful MOC! It has just the right amount of detail — not so much that it distracts from the scene, but enough that the arena itself is a beautiful creation even without taking the minifigures and vehicles into account. It adheres really well to the color scheme and motifs of the Tournament of Elements sets, while also adding elements from the TV series like Chen's special chair.

If I could change one thing, it would be to add some small vehicles like these, or maybe some custom vehicles, to make the impending fight scene more exciting than just minifigures vs. minifigures.

It looks really cool. However, wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to make the floor pattern purple and the floor tan?

Also, there is reference material in at least two episodes the show (plenty of shots showing off important details), as well as the game, Ninjago Tournament, where you can walk around the arena.

I'm not complaining, this looks great. But if you did use these sources instead of just Lego Dimensions, why didn't you also add the totem pole at the center of the arena? It wasn't in Dimensions, but it was in the show and in Ninjago: Tournament.

Even in Dimensions you need to assemble a totem pole to progress, but it's drastically different from the real one.

Edited by gamejutzu

Thank you for the comments!

If I could change one thing, it would be to add some small vehicles like these, or maybe some custom vehicles, to make the impending fight scene more exciting than just minifigures vs. minifigures.

At first I've tried a more dynamic scene with effects and duels instead of just put on the minifigures, but unfortunately it ruined the mosaic completely.

It looks really cool. However, wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to make the floor pattern purple and the floor tan?

Also, there is reference material in at least two episodes the show (plenty of shots showing off important details), as well as the game, Ninjago Tournament, where you can walk around the arena.

I'm not complaining, this looks great. But if you did use these sources instead of just Lego Dimensions, why didn't you also add the totem pole at the center of the arena? It wasn't in Dimensions, but it was in the show and in Ninjago: Tournament.

Even in Dimensions you need to assemble a totem pole to progress, but it's drastically different from the real one.

Color choice wasn't really a question. If I would turn the scheme from purple-tan to tan-purple, price of the mosaic would have been quadruple :> (And there is no odd stud long tile in dark purple so I had to shape the snake with dark tans.)

I really wanted to build this MOC centered around the floor mosaic. All of the reference materials have small mosaic on the floor but I wanted a bigger one. That's why I removed the pillar from the center, it ruined it.

I haven't followed any of the inspiration materials accurately, simply built and modified the elements I liked and ignored anything else. That's why I changed the design of the shinto gate (the original was too wide and simple) or Chen's chair (the original was too wide and I've found the brick built snake on the top too rough). I know it is not accurate but I think it is much better :)

Edited by burlogh

On 9/21/2016 at 0:48 AM, burlogh said:

Color choice wasn't really a question. If I would turn the scheme from purple-tan to tan-purple, price of the mosaic would have been quadruple :> (And there is no odd stud long tile in dark purple so I had to shape the snake with dark tans.)

I really wanted to build this MOC centered around the floor mosaic. All of the reference materials have small mosaic on the floor but I wanted a bigger one. That's why I removed the pillar from the center, it ruined it.
I haven't followed any of the inspiration materials accurately, simply built and modified the elements I liked and ignored anything else. That's why I changed the design of the shinto gate (the original was too wide and simple) or Chen's chair (the original was too wide and I've found the brick built snake on the top too rough). I know it is not accurate but I think it is much better :)

Oh... Well if you're building this in your image, that's fine too. A lot of people who do Ninjago MOCs of things in the show, usually make it as accurate as they can. There's no problem with this though.

Edited by gamejutzu

I didn't see ninjago animation and I know sets with super battle arena only. One can make it  with 2519, 2520, 2254 and 2260. But your arena is just super. Is it LDD?

On 2016. 10. 01. at 1:00 PM, Staslegomaster said:

I didn't see ninjago animation and I know sets with super battle arena only. One can make it  with 2519, 2520, 2254 and 2260. But your arena is just super. Is it LDD?

Thank you!

I've started the mosaic in LDD but got bored around 25% and abandoned the project and started the building instead.

You know... i was actually thinking of doing this exact MOC the other day, now that i've seen yours though... yeah, screw that :P

Also: Why did you give Kai another hairpiece? (or is that his original one? i think i have a different one with my tournament of elements Kai)

On 11/7/2016 at 7:59 AM, Darth Wayne said:

Also: Why did you give Kai another hairpiece? (or is that his original one? i think i have a different one with my tournament of elements Kai)

Yeah that's not his hair. Unless it's actually Ronin... 

On 2016. 11. 07. at 2:59 PM, Darth Wayne said:

You won't believe... I don't have any Kai minifigure with the proper hair :)

I became a fan of Ninjago in the last weeks.
Looked all movies an seaching for Ninjago MOCs.

This is amazing!!!
Right at this time, I like to rebuild it :-D