BusterHaus

Legko-Shake.ru - Rebrickable.com clone

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, I will let the Moderators decide. I'm posting it here because quite a few Technic builders have their models on Rebrickable.

A couple of days I received the e-mail below. I have not answered it yet.

Sent: September 17, 2016 8:00:56 PM EDT

To: bart@busterhaus.com

Subject: Thank you for your wonderful Lego models

Dear Bart,

your creations are so interesting, that we would like to share them with russian lego lovers.

Don't you mind if we have placed them on our site www.legko-shake.ru?

Whole list of your models on the site is here: http://legko-shake.r...hors/busterhaus

We always write author's name or nick, and link to their personal page if they want.

Our site is recommended to the little lego fans and their parents. We try to give them opportunity to build more models from their lego parts.

We have blog about LEGO, there we write different stories about Lego designers like you, and their creations.

In the end of my letter let me one more time thank you for your wonderful work!

Sincerely yours,

(removed per sender's request)

After checking the website it looks like a Rebrickable clone, down to the MOC numbers. Tomik started a discussion on the same subject on Rebrickable a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't had many replies.

Has anyone else been contacted by them? How did you react, if at all? Is this considered theft? I'm kind of on the fence on this, as my instructions are free and they are not reselling them, and I don't mind the additional exposure. On the other hand, I do see it as a problem for Rebrickable, who is having their website cloned. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Edited by BusterHaus

It seems like it is Russian copy of Rebrickable that is aimed for children and parents. I know Russian as my native language and this site is really user-friendly for someone who doesn't know English at all. So, I don't consider it as a theft but I consider it as a good translation of Rebrickable into Russian.

As i understood - they not selling instructions. They selling ability to use their search engine. Also - there's no direct copyright violation. Clever bastards... sometimes i just hate to being one of that nation.

As i understood - they not selling instructions. They selling ability to use their search engine. Also - there's no direct copyright violation. Clever bastards... sometimes i just hate to being one of that nation.

Do they really sell ability to use engine? I registered, browsed the site and haven't found any functions that requires to be paid.

Just checked, as long they give the credits (maybe a link would be also welcome to the source) and don't sell these, I think it is fine to spread the MOCs to everyone who loves LEGO. :classic:

Shared knowledge.

p.s.: Can somebody please write them, that please add the author's name to each model, and a link to the source? Thank You in advance!

Can somebody please write them, that please add the author's name to each model, and a link to the source? Thank You in advance!

For most models author name is already there with link as it appears at Rebricable.com

As they said - they just started, and not all working as intended. I just contacted them and ask to correct my own models. Also i asked them to mark paid instructions somehow. I think this e-mail: info@legko-shake.ru can be used for any suggestions if anyone have it.

Money is the reason. Import as many models as possible > become popular > earn your buck from ads.

I'm not against sharing stuff I have made by other people. But this seem to be commercial. They didn't ask me if I wish my models added there. I have zero control over something shared widely like that (don't have account there). There's simply no way to change picture, description, parts, URL for instructions and anything else I wish to amend. This could result in negative experience and lack of feedback from people building the model.

Money is the reason. Import as many models as possible > become popular > earn your buck from ads.

I'm not against sharing stuff I have made by other people. But this seem to be commercial. They didn't ask me if I wish my models added there. I have zero control over something shared widely like that (don't have account there). There's simply no way to change picture, description, parts, URL for instructions and anything else I wish to amend. This could result in negative experience and lack of feedback from people building the model.

Agreed, but as i understand they will earn money with "purchase missing parts" button. At least they answer quckly and ready to make changes, add information e t.c.

At least they answer quckly and ready to make changes, add information e t.c.
That's not the way you do it. You wish other people add content to your page - make it so that people would want to contribute.

I got almost exactly the same message. I'm OK with it. They asked my permission, my name's connected to the models, and all images and videos appear to be linked to the source.

Update:

I received a second email from the representative, they are aware of this topic. I invited them to join the discussion here, hopefully they will.

Edited by BusterHaus

I sent them the link, because yesterday I have contacted them to remove my name, they can keep my models there as long as I am credited and the LDD files are linked to the original gallery. Being removed my name, I decided to gave them a hint - where they can find most of the mocers

I am not sure yet if this site has some of my models, but they sure used an image of my KrAZ without permission... Contacted them too...let's see what happens!

Yes, they are there:

http://legko-shake.ru/moc/technic/technic-moc/MOC-4027

I found even my MOCs (I haven't received any mail)...I'm not sure what's happening, I'll wait a bit to understand a bit more.

I do not like this. There is an original idea and lots of hard work behind Rebrickable (I mean people who found that and operate it). This is just sucking it out for free.

And without asking upfront. not OK.

However they communicate.

I asked to remove my MOC, because I asked them to, and they did. They were asking why, they were polite.

Edited by J_C

Dear builders,
My name is Marina. And I would like to write you in behalf of team legko-shake.ru. 
As some of you have right said above, our service is for children and their parents who love Lego and want to make more models from their sets.
It's in Russian and for Russian-spoken people.

We would like to make clear some moments of our work, because we see some misunderstanding here:

1. Yes, we're collecting Lego models all over the Web. And it's quite challenging to have all information around the world translated into Russian - names, tags, themes, categories etc.
2. Yes, we always write authors' name or nick and add link to their website.
3. No, it's not a clone of Rebrickable. It was our original idea and we saw Rebrickable much later. It was a little bit dissapointing but we decided to continue because our project was ready. First it was about helping people to choose new set with many new parts. MOCs was the second idea and we were asked to add this functionality from our users.
4. Yes, Rebrickable.com is one of sources, not the only one. And yes, we've contacted Nathan Thom from Rebrickable, he knows about us. We also have page with our respect to him: http://legko-shake.ru/blog/about/our-friends-and-partners
5. Yes, we're always looking for models' authors, to get permission from them to display new models on our web-site. And it's not so easy to find contacts. We thank Bart, this topicstarter, because it's a great opportunity to get in touch with authors.
6. We always remove model from our site, if author doesn't want it to be shown.
7. Yes, we promote authors with articles - for example, see article about Tomik here: http://legko-shake.ru/blog/tomas-vit-my-lego-story. And about his MOCs http://legko-shake.ru/blog/31034-moc. And Tom was also so kind to give us permission.
8. Yes, we promote authors with russian translations of their Youtube videos. See Jason Allemann's russian subtitles, for example - https://youtu.be/_AJYc3mPvRg?list=PLt0c_OsTbFxfnxH0-T7cCrVn31ChULX2E, https://youtu.be/aQru5c6GwFs?list=PLt0c_OsTbFxfnxH0-T7cCrVn31ChULX2E 
The articles about his mindstorms creation are here:
9. And last, but not least - No, we do not resell instructions.

We welcome all authors to partnership and to be promoted on our site.

If you have not received an email from us it is just mean two probability: 
We have not got your email address and we are searching it.
or
We have found your email address, but have not yet got enough time to write everybody from our list. But we are going to do it. Step by step.
You can help us to do it by writing us directly.

Thank you for your time and attention.
You are all great Lego builders!

As it was written above I've got email from them too and got suspicious. So I've made them contact Nathan Thom from Rebrickable and later gave them permission for showing my models. Basically it's just another promotion for my web site so I'm fine with it.

Although Russian people are well educated and many people know the English language well, I apreciate your idea and your big efforts! If only in China there would be more of such sincere people like you supporting and promoting LEGO sets and MOCs to fans (not bold Lenin copies, stolen instructions, books or similar crap). So I´m waiting for you, Marina, to contact me to get my permission for displaying my MOCs on your website :laugh: ! (joking, not necessary).

I did send a message indeed and did receive a decent reply. For now I am pretty excited about it after all it promotes my stuff. Currently I don't see anything happen that worries me, okay except for the order in which events took place...but hey nobody is perfect...

Just send an email to the owner of Rebrickable.com to verify things with him, just to make sure.

Does any of the moderators have thoughts on this matter?