legoman666

Ball bearings!

If the axle is that tight, I think I would chuck it in a drill and use some steel wool on it to shine it up and that may be all you need to have a nice fit. Given the fact the lego parts are for toys afterall, I wouldn't always expect exacting tolerances with a part like the axle.

Can someone identify the bricklink numbers for the axle and wheel? 

I would want the version with the through hole wheel and matching axle.

Thanks in advance.

I believe so, I ordered several pairs before and they were the complete assemblies. Try and get the 2878c02, the axles and wheels are removable, and will make for much easier modification. So we've all seen the video of the world's fastest Lego train, right?

With these bearings, and some ingenuity, we could potentially surpass this. I lack resources and parts, but do you think we could do a volunteer group build, to see if we can build something to beat it? I can help design trucks and cars in LDD. 

So, I'm confused.  I thought the c01 variant was the one to get instead of 2878c02.   Doesn't the c02 varient require the side pieces to keep the wheels on the shaft?

1 hour ago, ukewarrior said:

So, I'm confused.  I thought the c01 variant was the one to get instead of 2878c02.   Doesn't the c02 varient require the side pieces to keep the wheels on the shaft?

Correct. The wheels like to fall off of the c02 variant. The c01 is what you want and are in every 9v era train set. There are no separate part numbers listed for the axle or wheels. 

If it's any consolation, the c02 wheels and axle will fit in the c01 axle holder. 

Hello!

I am also experimenting on this great idea. I have found cheap bearings on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-MR52-ZZ-2x5x2-5mm-Miniature-Model-Bearing-MR52ZZ-Ball-Bearings-2-5-2-5mm/361922341317?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I am struggling to find a method not to "melt" technic bricks, but if I won't find any other easier solution, my last option will be that. I have found out that the bearing fits in to a 1 x 1 brick, with stud and hole on sides. It forces a little, so it might crack. I will make a prototype and run it some time, let's see what happens.

Thank you!

P_20171130_154412_vHDR_On.jpg

4 hours ago, Lazlo said:

I am struggling to find a method not to "melt" technic bricks, but if I won't find any other easier solution, my last option will be that. I have found out that the bearing fits in to a 1 x 1 brick, with stud and hole on sides. It forces a little, so it might crack. I will make a prototype and run it some time, let's see what happens.

The bearings fit easily into the technic bricks without having to heat them up. Just line the bearing up with the hole and hit it into place with a hammer. Doesn't use much force and doesn't destroy the brick.

-Jeffinslaw

You could also try to press them in with a press or vise.  The opening could be enlarged with a drill so that the bearing doesn't put the plastic under more stress than necessary to hold the bearing in place.

Thank you all! I will try both methods. Looks like many of you have tried this technique out ;-)

The hammer worked well :-) I am looking for ideas to build a one axle fixed bogie for smaller wagons for now.