Henjin_Quilones

Nocturnus Minichallenge I: Crossing the Sayn Gwinos River

Resistance sympathizer King Zalgel has sent Urkan, his chief general, from his city of Griznâg in the depths of the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia to join with his royal cousin, Frykka the Brown, in Nocturnus in battle against the traitorous Black Spire. To get there, the band of orcish soldiers has had to brave many hazards, from fierce-eyed Elvish hunters, roaming human cavalry patrols, deserts, fell beasts, and now, at last, the towering Rakath Mountains. On the eastern side of those lofty peaks runs a river, red as freshly spilled human blood, called the Sayn Gwinos River by those who have made the maps. A single bridge crosses the that crimson stream, passing through the ensnaring webs of many deadly spiders.
29691600351_70a131afbc_z.jpg

29774091595_4874afb79f_z.jpg

29774093425_1a6fff3cdc_c.jpg

29691597871_a00c25ff6b_z.jpg

Will the orcs make it to Frykka's warband alive, to swell the ranks of the Resistance against Raavage's tyrannical reign, or will they perish in the mountains, struck down by noxious rivers and venomous arachnids? Time alone will tell...

29691598291_11b1620806_z.jpg

Introducing my second build for the Nocturnian Minichallenges. The photography hopefully looks quite a bit better for this one as I took some advice I was given and took the pictures outside in a shady spot with my old point-and-shoot digital camera. All the grey for the rocks makes me appreciate LittleJohn's Nordheim Fjall that much more...

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Awesome build, I love that dark red-trans neon green combo, and the rockwork is just stunning!

Great rock-work, it looks fabulous in this enviroment. Love those trees but unlike the others, the red and neon green river does not appeal to me. Great build, can't wait for more!

Great build. I especially like the bridge.

Nice build! The rocks and bridge are very nice.

stunning bridge you got there... combined with the snotwork of the rocks a fantastic build!

Thank you! The bridge was fun to make, inspired by the one in the SW Ewok Village set but improved upon. And the rocks were a fun, multi-directional puzzle. Glad you like the result.

Awesome build, I love that dark red-trans neon green combo, and the rockwork is just stunning!

Thanks, Titus! I needed something to break up the dark red, and nothing seemed to work until I saw those trans-neon green pieces. I thought the effect was appropriate to Nocturnus and its hostile environment.

Great rock-work, it looks fabulous in this enviroment. Love those trees but unlike the others, the red and neon green river does not appeal to me. Great build, can't wait for more!

Well, I have to say that the dark red-neon green river is not supposed to appeal to anyone...personally I'll take a nice, crystal clear stream any day over a blood red-and-neon sludge. But it seemed to fit the landscape, and I lacked enough of other colors, like lime green, to have a go of it. I am glad you like the rest of it, though. Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Very nice build, Henjin, the bridge is fantastic, and the trees, base, and story are excellent as well! :thumbup: I agree with Maestro that the trans-neon-green does look a bit odd in the river - but then, this is Nocturnus! :laugh::grin: Good job with the rock-work also, although I think in a few places it looks a little odd - in particular, I would raise the long curving slope (the one with a bunch of studs under it) by the lower tree by a 2x4 plate on the thick end, and put some tiles under the other side (though a few studs wouldn't look bad - it just clashes a little with the rest with so many), and the 1/8th of a ball piece on top also gives the impression of a man-made dome instead of a natural rock-formation, though the other two fit in pretty well :wink:

Excellent job overall, though, and the photography is definitely a lot better! :classic:

Very nice build, Henjin, the bridge is fantastic, and the trees, base, and story are excellent as well! :thumbup: I agree with Maestro that the trans-neon-green does look a bit odd in the river - but then, this is Nocturnus! :laugh::grin: Good job with the rock-work also, although I think in a few places it looks a little odd - in particular, I would raise the long curving slope (the one with a bunch of studs under it) by the lower tree by a 2x4 plate on the thick end, and put some tiles under the other side (though a few studs wouldn't look bad - it just clashes a little with the rest with so many), and the 1/8th of a ball piece on top also gives the impression of a man-made dome instead of a natural rock-formation, though the other two fit in pretty well :wink:

Excellent job overall, though, and the photography is definitely a lot better! :classic:

Shoot, I was hoping no one would notice that spot with all the exposed studs on the rocks! I took off a few pieces there while I was trying out different things in that crack area, first a rat, then the snake, then two snakes, and back to just one, and then I forgot to put the pieces back in place at the end of it. I didn't notice until I was editing the pictures and by then it was night, and I figured it would not be a big deal. Oh well. What can you do, right?

There are actually eight of those 1/8th ball pieces in the rock, to the point that it became almost a stylistic theme. I chose to top the section of mountain with it for that reason. (The others are harder to spot as they are oriented in all different directions).

But thank you for your kind words!

...There are actually eight of those 1/8th ball pieces in the rock, to the point that it became almost a stylistic theme. I chose to top the section of mountain with it for that reason. (The others are harder to spot as they are oriented in all different directions)...

Wow! I never would have caught those other ones if you hadn't mentioned them! - well, even better job incorporating those than the other ones! :laugh:

Wicked entry! Nice work on that river and rockwork. I really like the smooth and varied look of the mountain. That's also a great looking troop there, I'm sure they will fit in well. The flag bearer is a sweet touch too. Also, everyone seems to have such nice hair!

Awesome entry all around. I'm having a ton of fun seeing all these Nocty builds!

lovely scene, rocks and bridge!

oh and 'Sayn Gwinos'.. not 100% sure if you meant the word play, but if so, then nice one! haha xD

Edited by en_zoo

Also, everyone seems to have such nice hair!

L'oreal because you're worth it.

Also really nice build!

Wow! I never would have caught those other ones if you hadn't mentioned them! - well, even better job incorporating those than the other ones! :laugh:

Thanks Garm! They give it an interesting look that is not often seen in Lego mountains, almost volcanic-esque in my opinion.

Wicked entry! Nice work on that river and rockwork. I really like the smooth and varied look of the mountain. That's also a great looking troop there, I'm sure they will fit in well. The flag bearer is a sweet touch too. Also, everyone seems to have such nice hair!

Awesome entry all around. I'm having a ton of fun seeing all these Nocty builds!

Thank you ME! I am glad you like the build. I used many of the black hairpieces that I have for these fine fellows (and two ladies, too!), even including a Superman curl there if you look closely. I always feel bad for Orcs and the like for getting the short end of the stick stylistically, so they got a makeover, a full spa treatment even. Most impressive is that their hair still looks this good after weeks on the march...

lovely scene, rocks and bridge!

oh and 'Sayn Gwinos'.. not 100% sure if you meant the word play, but if so, then nice one! haha xD

Thanks en_zoo! It was very deliberate, and I am glad you caught it.

L'oreal because you're worth it.

Also really nice build!

Well, it's actually Pantene Pro-V, but thanks! And the ladies use Maybelline products, or maybe they were just born with it. Who can tell?

Another one of those builds that reminds one of old school Nocty. The dark colors and brooding atmosphere are excellent here.

This build is very Nocturnian, since you included the river of red liquid (blood?) and the neon pieces, which are a nice touch. The rockwork is superb, including the trees on it. The bridge is also amazing, and adds to the rugged Nocturnian feeling of this build.

On 9/19/2016 at 11:38 PM, Blufiji said:

Another one of those builds that reminds one of old school Nocty. The dark colors and brooding atmosphere are excellent here.

Thanks! I love the feel of the old school builds out in the Darklands, and wished to emulate that. I'm glad it managed to capture something of that feel for you!

On 9/20/2016 at 8:43 PM, Brandon Stark said:

This build is very Nocturnian, since you included the river of red liquid (blood?) and the neon pieces, which are a nice touch. The rockwork is superb, including the trees on it. The bridge is also amazing, and adds to the rugged Nocturnian feeling of this build.

Thank you! Glad you like it. 

great landscaping and bridge.  The minifig posing is very well done

Delightful Nocty landscape! The bridge and trees are the biggest highlights for me, though the rockwork and unique river are also excellent :thumbup:

On 9/22/2016 at 10:28 PM, zoth33 said:

great landscaping and bridge.  The minifig posing is very well done

Thank you! Glad you like it. 

On 9/23/2016 at 4:06 AM, BrickCurve said:

Looks excellent!  The bridge over the river and river are particularly standout.

Thanks, BC!

16 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Delightful Nocty landscape! The bridge and trees are the biggest highlights for me, though the rockwork and unique river are also excellent :thumbup:

Thanks, SK! I'm glad you like the trees, as they were one of the more challenging parts of the build. I can build a dozen Avalonian trees without breaking a sweat, but Nocty trees, especially with a blood river and craggy rocks, are another matter. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Fabulous work here, Henjin! The rockwork and river are superb, though my favorite part is that bridge :wub:

Excellent trees as well, and the cobwebs were a nice touch :thumbup:

7 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Fabulous work here, Henjin! The rockwork and river are superb, though my favorite part is that bridge :wub:

Excellent trees as well, and the cobwebs were a nice touch :thumbup:

Glad you like it, LJ! Your Nordheim Fjall was something of an inspiration for the rocks. I like the bridge, too. 

Excellent work! The red river with neon bubbles evokes a very classic Nocty feel, and I really like look of the curved blobs incorporated into the rockwork! The photography is incredibly improved too! Overall a top notch Nocty build!

On 10/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, LordDan said:

Excellent work! The red river with neon bubbles evokes a very classic Nocty feel, and I really like look of the curved blobs incorporated into the rockwork! The photography is incredibly improved too! Overall a top notch Nocty build!

Thank you, LD! I am glad you have noticed the photography--it is still not professional quality, but at least it is no longer detracting from my builds, which is a happy medium where I can stay for a while (since a nicer camera is low on the list of priorities).