legoman666

Western Maryland SD40 in 7 wide

Recommended Posts

Greetings. My latest build which I have been dragging my feet on for several months. Still need 1 or 2 small Bricklink orders to complete the railings and then it should be done.

twCYHjXl.jpgHXpRk8Dl.jpg

The prototype.

29736739646_a659636a49_b.jpg

29736748016_f5a6f2796f_b.jpg

29736735376_7255beebdd_b.jpg

Unfortunately, 'bar holder with clip' is not available in red, so I can't make the railings as prototypical as I'd like. I might switch these out to black but I think dark grey looks ok, although if they ever become available in red, then I'll obviously replace them. I know my lettering is over the red instead of the white, but when I was building up from the base, it looked weird with one less row of red brick. Plus it would have made the hood tricky. Decals are custom printed.

This unit is powered by NWSL steel wheels that pick up 24V track power to feed a super capacitor bank. The unit can go for about 30ish seconds without track power and can recharge in about 15 seconds. No batteries. It's all controlled by Codefox's bluetooth motor controller which is powering 2 L motors.

For the train nerds, you might notice that my porches are each 1 stud shorter than the ones on my Chessie SD40-2. This gives an overall length of 52 studs from magnet to magnet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really great train with a lot of interesting details. I like the cabin windows a lot, and also the fact that is 7-wide. Thanx for sharing, many inspiration here... :)

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks awesome! I definitely like the cab design on this and your other standard cab locomotives.

Any reason you left out the step ~halfway down the long hood?

Ummmm I forgot it, guess I need to add it :) Thought it looked weird when I was putting the railings on... I never could find a photo of the right side of the locomotive but I guess I could find one with different heraldry.

Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful rendition, really brings out the thoughts of power these locomotives evoke. The colour scheme is striking and the decals look great too. And fancy tech inside to boot, just fantastic.

As far as the handrails go, would you be averse to using flex rods with red minifig hands inside instead of the DBG 3.2 rod holders with clip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one beautiful engine!! :wub: I'm also jealous of your setup. I don't really have space to display my trains. Keep us posted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful rendition, really brings out the thoughts of power these locomotives evoke. The colour scheme is striking and the decals look great too. And fancy tech inside to boot, just fantastic.

As far as the handrails go, would you be averse to using flex rods with red minifig hands inside instead of the DBG 3.2 rod holders with clip?

Thanks. I thought of minifig hands too, but they dont fit on to these: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=77053#T=C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question, why is the lettering on the long hood over red bricks instead of white? All the photos you showed for reference seem to show the lettering is on the white part of the hood. That is my only criticism.

Now onto the praise, this is a wonderful build! The angles and the shaping give it that SD40 vibe, and I am loving that. I can already imagine the sounds of the SD40 running through the notches hauling a train behind it (note even my profile picture has a subtle tribute to the SD40 locomotive...). I think one of the most impressive features is the shaping of the dynamic brake blister on your train, very well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2016 at 10:17 AM, xboxtravis7992 said:

One question, why is the lettering on the long hood over red bricks instead of white? All the photos you showed for reference seem to show the lettering is on the white part of the hood. That is my only criticism.

Now onto the praise, this is a wonderful build! The angles and the shaping give it that SD40 vibe, and I am loving that. I can already imagine the sounds of the SD40 running through the notches hauling a train behind it (note even my profile picture has a subtle tribute to the SD40 locomotive...). I think one of the most impressive features is the shaping of the dynamic brake blister on your train, very well done.

Glad you like it. The rear of the locomotive is 7 studs tall, so I had to make a choice between 4 studs white & 3 red, or 3 red 4 white. I probably should have gone with the latter.

 29275085414_e11be92d9f_b.jpg

29608024280_6602a29445_b.jpg

29275083444_9ecd815105_b.jpg

Finished the other side too. Railings done. Middle axle done. I guess the whole thing is done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey this looks really good! Just wondering, where did you get the decals and can you provide a link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, LowZones said:

Hey this looks really good! Just wondering, where did you get the decals and can you provide a link

Legoman666 is the owner of okbrickworks.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

Legoman666 is the owner of okbrickworks.com

I can’t find the decals. Maybe they were taken down or I’m searching wrong key words?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LowZones said:

I can’t find the decals. Maybe they were taken down or I’m searching wrong key words?

Well this thread is 5 years old. He is the decal maker for most of us serious modelers. if you send him a message via his site, you might be able to see if he can print you a set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Well this thread is 5 years old. He is the decal maker for most of us serious modelers. if you send him a message via his site, you might be able to see if he can print you a set. 

Alrighty thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.