Paperballpark

[MOC] Virgin Pendolino

I thought I'd share photos of a cab and a coach of my Virgin Pendolino which I've just finished.

When the whole thing is done, there'll be five coaches and three cabs (one as a spare). The whole thing will be 3.5m (11.5ft) long, and have a total of just over 6800 pieces.

The Pendolino is very difficult to model in Lego, because of how curvy it is - especially the front of it - but I've done the best I can. I did eight(!) versions of the cab before I got to the current one, which I'm happy with.

I'm also intending to get the door details printed onto the bricks, as well as the Virgin logo.

29747534895_1944b93967_c.jpg

29712109036_747584e11f_c.jpg

29120679034_5e70f69e60_c.jpg

Edited by Paperballpark

Looks nice! Great job on the shaping! You've captured it well, and without a ton of gaps or obviously forced geometries, and still around 8-wide. Well done! :sweet:

Looking very nice indeed. You've really caught the shape of the Pendo very well.

Only comment I'd make is that the roof detailing looks a bit flat. There's actually quite a lot going on up there that is visible from an elevated angle that is not apparent from the platform. I can get you a few reference shots if you'd like as I get a great view of these trains every day at work. Let me know.

Hmm nice shapes... but I would change the front to make it more round somehow and and change the roof to more round.

Otherwise I like the tilted sides a lot and also the colored curved at the front side made of plates.

Max

Looking very nice indeed. You've really caught the shape of the Pendo very well.

Only comment I'd make is that the roof detailing looks a bit flat. There's actually quite a lot going on up there that is visible from an elevated angle that is not apparent from the platform. I can get you a few reference shots if you'd like as I get a great view of these trains every day at work. Let me know.

Thanks! The pictures don't really show it, but there's a nicely curved bit on the roof in the middle. I've got a couple of photos of the top, and the rest of the roof is actually pretty flat. There's a couple of coaches which have the pantograph and associated stuff on top, but I haven't done those coaches yet. I'll be adding the pantograph etc when I do :classic:

Hmm nice shapes... but I would change the front to make it more round somehow and and change the roof to more round.

Otherwise I like the tilted sides a lot and also the colored curved at the front side made of plates.

Max

Believe me Max, it's a lot lot easier to say 'change the front to make it more round somehow' than to actually do so! That is the 8th(!) different version of the cab, and honestly, it's as good as I could get it. If you think you can do better, by all means be my guest, and come back here and post the results.

Let's just say I'm pretty sure there's a reason why you don't see many MOCs of the Pendolino...

Not sure what you mean about the roof - it's not really round on the real thing, and I think I've done it fairly well.

Oh and I didn't mention in the original post, but it tilts around the curves. You can just (only just!) see that in the photos. :classic:

Paperballpark, no problem. I think that if you post something public, you want to hear also opinion of others. The most important is that you are satisfied. I know that it is very hard to implement all the details in such a scale and match the right curves.

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Paperballpark, no problem. I think that if you post something public, you want to hear also opinion of others. The most important is that you are satisfied. I know that it is very hard to implement all the details in such a scale and match the right curves.

Max

Trust me, if I could have made the front more curved, I would have done! I think the fact that you said 'somehow' indicates that you have no idea how your suggestion could be implemented. Well, neither do I!

I'm all for constructive criticism, but please can it actually be possible to do? :wink:

Awesome job on a difficult locomotive. Curve looks as good as it can get without doing trickery with stickers. Love the white & gray 1/4 circles under the red arch, very clever.

Thanks! The pictures don't really show it, but there's a nicely curved bit on the roof in the middle. I've got a couple of photos of the top, and the rest of the roof is actually pretty flat. There's a couple of coaches which have the pantograph and associated stuff on top, but I haven't done those coaches yet. I'll be adding the pantograph etc when I do :classic:

Yes a lot of it is flat, but some of it is curved. I think you could put a couple more plates of height onto the model without upsetting the size or proportion and take it from excellent to amazing. For example, the cab roof is quite domed before sloping back down again, the roof-mounted A/C modules (the curved shapes you mentioned) are larger and the angled side-fences are taller and more steeply raked than you've modelled them so far.

But I have to say that you've pretty much nailed the rest of the train. I understand that the cab front is always a compromise, and I can tell that you've decided that the curves in the livery are more distinctive than the curves in the shape, but I think it looks great. I'm also impressed with the way you've built the shape of the bodyside. I had visualised something similar for another project that I've not really got the time for at the moment, but it's good to see someone else try it and show just how effective it is.

If you'd like some photos please send me a private message so that I know where to send them and I'll try and get some sent to you during the course of the week.

Edited by Hod Carrier

Great locomotive. Very similar to the prototype. The forms and proportions transferred perfectly, highlights the complex color forms coloring certainly similar. Not necessarily all considered too close, under a magnifying glass. The main form of rapid trains stored author of this very good work .

29747534895_1944b93967_c.jpgvirgin-trains-pendolino-at-speed-warwickshire-uk-f28jdh.jpg

Edited by Nemo57

I hope you don't mind, but this was more the sort of thing I was thinking about for the roof. I don't know what you think, but it's up to you.

29741144426_3ac7843514_z.jpg

29694460801_548f831f11_z.jpg

29741144656_33e33d89aa_z.jpg

29484850790_91248ed70e_z.jpg

I did consider using the 1x2 plate with slope, as it's more steeply raked, but I decided not to, as it would have left a row of studs (I wanted as much of it studless as possible) and would also have compromised the lead-in to it.

Whilst your design solves that issue, it also compromises the curves on the AC unit, which I consider to have done pretty much spot-on (although it's difficult to see in the photos), and also the black curved section as well.

Basically, it's a question of what do you prioritise and what do you compromise on, as you can't do everything spot-on. I went one way with it, which I'm happy with. :)

Edited by Paperballpark

Yes, I'm not sure I would have used that as a final design either, especially the black cab roof section, but if it was me I think I would have aimed for this much elevation on the roof details.

However, it's not me. The important thing is that you're happy with the outcome and the design choices you made. I hope you don't think me presumptuous for my comments.

Nah it's ok, everyone does things differently.

Oh, and something else I just remembered which might have had a bearing on how you designed the roof - the roof is 7 wide on mine. Just to complicate things even further! :wink:

Really nice design, I like the tilted side. The train's nose is really well captured in bricks from sideview, however the front view seems a little boxy for me.

Dude I've always wanted to see someone try make a Class 390, and you've done it beautifully! If you haven't yet done the pantograph I can send you an image of a slim and easily modifiable design I use.

On 21/09/2016 at 1:12 AM, Bartybum said:

Dude I've always wanted to see someone try make a Class 390, and you've done it beautifully! If you haven't yet done the pantograph I can send you an image of a slim and easily modifiable design I use.

Sure, please post one on here. I already have quite a detailed photo of that section of the train, so I can't guarantee I'll use it, but I've not yet done the pantograph, so any ideas are welcome.

On 23/09/2016 at 0:30 AM, Paperballpark said:

Sure, please post one on here. I already have quite a detailed photo of that section of the train, so I can't guarantee I'll use it, but I've not yet done the pantograph, so any ideas are welcome.

There you go :)

29599475780_df4c85c62e_b.jpgPantograph by Bartybum, on Flickr

Nice work so far! I understand how difficult these subtle curves can be to replicate in lego. Just wondering, are you going to add a tilting mechanism in the train?

I thought I'd post a my pantograph design as it might be of use to you.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I also "cheated" a little bit to allow the arm to lay closer to a parallel position to the mounting. 

800x600.jpg

Hope this helps.