Now not to be confused with this thread here (Third Party Tires for Lego Technic Rims by Efferman), This Thread is Different in the Sense that I developed LEGO Modification instead of just wheel swapping. Now it is RC Tires Mods for Lego Technic Axles.

Here below is a Rubber RC Tire. The Wheel does not fit over Lego Axles to begin with. Its hard to tell from picture but trust me the hole on the RC wheel is too small to fit around the LEGO Axle. And that is where the First Modification begins.

rc-tire-modification-001.jpg

In this picture Below is the aftermath of the first Wheel Modification. Now because I live in U.S and measurements are defined in standard I'm using a 3/16 drill bit to make this hole which is 4.7 mm for those who know metric.I used a Drill Press for a center and aligned hole for it. Just take Note that the Drilled Hole is little smaller from the patented LEGO Technic Hole so the Lego Axle will have nice tight fit with it naturally if you use a Standard drill bit to do this.

rc-tire-modification-002.jpg

Now Once the hole was drilled my next step was attaching it to LEGO Axle Bushing. This is where the Challenge is because I needed to somehow fix this Axle Bushing inline with the Hole.

rc-tire-modification-003.jpg

Now I made this LEGO Wheel Stand here to fix the Lego Bushing inline with the RC Tire. I placed the busing on top of the Axle to show you what it looks like with out the tire.

rc-tire-modification-004.jpg

With the Tire sitting level on the Lego Part, I used Super Glue for a quick bond between the LEGO Bushing and the RC tire. Now the Super glue is just there to make a nice initial bond. The real Holding bond will be done with JB weld filling in the 12mm Hexnut wheel mount.

rc-tire-modification-005.jpg

Take note that the Pictures Below are with out the Lego Bushing and only relying upon the natural hold between the tire and the axle. I took these pictures because there will be plenty of pictures when the RC Lego Tire Mod is finished.

rc-tire-modification-006.jpg

rc-tire-modification-007.jpg

rc-tire-modification-008.jpg

rc-tire-modification-009.jpg

rc-tire-modification-010.jpg

rc-tire-modification-011.jpg

Edited by Boxerlego

I've been experimenting with rc wheels too. I found that the 12 tooth bevel gear tightly fits to the hexagonal hole. These wheels really shake up the aesthetics and improve steering geometry too by being offset. Some say is heretic though. :devil:

http://26974224633_b434aff439_z.jpgDSC_1397 by Attika Moc, on Flickr

Edited by Attika

Those rims look pretty cool in that model, they will surely be a great addition for more detailed cars; i also must say that at the first time when i saw the picture and the tires i was wondering why wasn´t this posted in the 3rd party tires topic, then i saw the rims and what you explained that this is not for tires but for rims, for me is okay, but maybe the topic name should be changed to "RC Rims For Lego Technic Axles", so it would be more specific, but these are very great rims, i really like them.

@Attika: Excellent, Its always interesting seeing other kinds of mods going on. Keep up the great work.

@ImanolBB: Thanks, I like how rims look on the Lego model also. I understand what you mean by the title change but I'm going to keep this simple and leave title as is. Yes there is modification done to the rims here but its all for the RC tires in the end.

@ScaleCarModels: Awesome, Looking forward for it.

Now here is a picture of the finished wheel modification. This is the same wheel rim just mounted to another size tire (108mm), so one of the great things about this Mod is that it can fit a nice variety of tires that can be mounted on the wheel rim.

rc-tire-modification-012.jpg

rc-tire-modification-013.jpg

thabks for tip! Already searching at aliexpress.

do somebody know, are druft whells fully platsic or tire is different than disk?

thabks for tip! Already searching at aliexpress.

do somebody know, are druft whells fully platsic or tire is different than disk?

No problem! Yea, Drift Wheels are made up of Hard Rubber/Plastic for the tire.

Nice modifications! Good to see you're always pushing the limit.

Have you attempted to use any of the RC wheel adapters yet? It's a simple printed part that clips in place and doesn't require drilling or glueing.Or is your approach done because you specifically wanted to use an axle to connect the wheels instead of a 3 pin hub?

Edited by SevenStuds

Coincidentally, I've done something similar recently when I built my AWD Quad Bike:

800x600.jpg

What I noticed is that RC rims have at least two hole sizes (perhaps for 1:10 and 1:8 models) - standard ones (mostly 1:10) come with a 12mm hex and smaller hole, while larger ones come with 17mm hex and larger holes that can allow technic axle to pass through easily.

So, using the 17mm variant, I found that I could fit a 16-tooth technic gear snugly. Not able to turn smoothly (thus serving its purpose), but can be improved by adding a thin sheet of plastic before shoving the gear into the 17mm hex depression. This is what I meant:

800x600.jpg

With that gear in place, no further modification is needed to any lego parts or the rim itself :laugh:

@SevenStuds: Thanks! Very interesting RC Mod you brought up. No I haven't tried using the RC Wheel adapters yet. But Yea I did this mod to connect the Lego Axle with the RC wheel.

@PorkyMonster: Awesome RC Wheel Mod. Its great to see this done to bigger sized RC wheels and fits nice and tight too.