ReplicaOfLife

[MOC] Outdoor Store - Modular Building

I'd like to present to you my newest moldar building: The Outdoor Store!

Some specs:

• Designed between January and the end of May 2016 in LDD
  • > 3500 pieces
  • Four floors with full interior; containing three businesses and one apartment
  • Color scheme: Light Bluish Gray and Dark Orange on the ground floor, Dark Orange and White on the upper floors. The roof is done in Dark Turquoise.
  • Pieces sourced from my own collection, 6 Bricklink orders and 3 copies of 31050 Corner Deli

More pictures in the full album on flickr: https://www.flickr.c...157672774050580

29110200054_a13884c090_c.jpg

29625614832_fc8505ceeb_c.jpg

29445648810_baa409c51d_c.jpg

29701388726_553b96e748_z.jpg

29625594562_b3dcdc5299_z.jpg

29625590992_bbf1ed2c8f_z.jpg

29655681611_1f8b0c9a7f_c.jpg
A small extension at the back contains a small bouldering area where customers can try out new shoes before buying them.
I had the two BURPs from a set I parted out, and figured out this way to use them in a modular.

29110303274_71df4e6932_c.jpg
The trophy on the wall is from the time the owner participated in quad bike races.

29737208515_662be2f201_c.jpg
The quad bike is the owner's pride. He always says it's up for sale, but when you ask he just names a ridiculous price...
This is a slightly modified version of the bike found in 31025 Mountain Hut

29737203535_7be8ae7dfb_c.jpg
A look through the windows. Also notice how the first floor balcony/patio structurally is part of the ground floor.

29445711430_10a2137cd2_c.jpg
The first floor features an office space. The business plan? Something to do with media...

29655655701_354d5319d3_c.jpg
Seems like everybody is having a good time at work!

29445699760_ae66ed9f67_c.jpg
The young guy in the airport shirt is a trainee. Having no other hardware to spare, he has to work on a really old computer. No wonder he rather chats with his colleagues!

29701457576_1ef6d13f57_z.jpg
The first floor landing was retrofitted with a small toilet.

29701445246_1fddc53494_c.jpg
The second floor features an apartment. The couple living here owns the house, the husband also runs the office downstairs.

29625641342_f7abae4fe3_z.jpg

29737153545_121c3a0f38_c.jpg
The small bathroom features a shower complete with glass shower cabin, toilet and a sink.

29625630402_a848a520c4_c.jpg
Top floor features a small piano school. The wife of the couple from the second floor fulfilled her dream here.

29737149195_689b4dda8d_c.jpg
The piano is based on this design by Masao Hidaka:

[/code]

29655603351_538c24754c_z.jpg
Desk area in the piano school. Depending on your disposition this either is cluttered or cozy ;)

Looking forward to hear your thoughts :) Edited by RogerSmith

WOW!!!

- Great Colours, I realy like the picture where you can look through the windows, it gives a real store like feeling

Love this!!!

Greetings

A beautiful building! The roof colour reminds me of oxidised copper so I think it fits perfectly.

Great interior details too! Nice work!

Personally, the dark turquoise roof doesn't do it for me, but beside the personal preference this is a great build! I really like the shaping of the building and all the details on the facade. Nice interior details as well. The compact kitchen is lovely, and the merchandise in the outdoor store along with the boulder equipment test area looks good. :classic:

Very nice! The exterior looks great; I love the touch of color that the roof adds.

The inside is lovely as well. There's a longstanding local outdoor shop in my town, and the interior of the MOC reminds me of this store.

Fine work how you finished the dark orange colums with the white borders!

I like the dark turquoise roof. It should even stand out more if it wasn't for the white, that tends to draw all attention.

It's nice how you gave the modular a story. The shop is very inviting!

Thanks, all of you :classic:
Very glad you like it.

I got the first batch of Dark Turquoise slopes on a whim when I saw them really cheap at a BL store I was placing an order at. I also instantly thought of oxidised copper.
When I got them and saw how intense this color is, I wasn't sure they'd work on a building.
But now that it's finished, I'm very happy I used them, as the dark turquoise and the dark orange work really well together.
(to be honest though: sand green is a much better match for oxidised copper)

This also is the first building where I had lots of fun designing and building the interior. I always seemed to run out of ideas when I got to the upstairs levels before, but for this one, the ideas just kept coming.
Nice to see that it shows. :classic:

Edited by RogerSmith

I really like your buidling! Also the interior is very nice made! I like the small bathroom very much!

I am remembering the time when I was working in an Outdoorshop during studying. We had quite a good time in the shop! The most fun was building the tents and try out everything new! The wall for the climbers is great! We also had something like a little bridge for testing the "normal" hiking shoes.

You can sell now some compasses and hiking maps from the new Minifigur, too!

You told some really nice stories!

I really like your buidling! Also the interior is very nice made! I like the small bathroom very much!

I am remembering the time when I was working in an Outdoorshop during studying. We had quite a good time in the shop! The most fun was building the tents and try out everything new! The wall for the climbers is great! We also had something like a little bridge for testing the "normal" hiking shoes.
You can sell now some compasses and hiking maps from the new Minifigur, too!

Cool, nice to know it evokes the right kind of memories :)
I actually thought about putting in a tent but could not fit it withouth using up too much space :sceptic:

Edited by RogerSmith

Another well done building. Do you have all of them still together? It'd be interesting to see them next to each other, especially with this being a 4 story building.

I see where you are going with the roof, but I agree, sand green would match the color better. But this does add an interesting touch.

The dark orange and the white are used well together. I like the snot work with the white trim in the middle area, but it almost feels like too much white in that area because of it. Maybe it's just me.

The window details work well. The interior works well too. I usually struggle with filling out the interior these days. So much that I end up just giving up. Maybe I should finish the interiors of some of my builds I've done recently.

Never built a modular, but what i see here, really caught my attention - so much, that i would now totally love building one like this :wub:

There actually is no better fit than this dark turqoise!

Simply because its the opposite (contrast) colour of red-orange.

Well thought through!

Using the contrasts of colour circles is pure magic - as seen here - and always works :wink:

Combined with all the nice facade details and the white aspects it rounds this build up very nicely!

I would also be interested in seeing a larger layout with your other modular builds :)

cheers

This is an excellent modular build. The exterior is really nice. The dark azure works so well with dark orange! Who would have thought? The interior of the outdoor shop is another highlight. Job well done!

I would also be interested in seeing a larger layout with your other modular builds :)

Another well done building. Do you have all of them still together? It'd be interesting to see them next to each other, especially with this being a 4 story building.

Yep, still have all my modulars assembled. Won't be taking any of them apart in the near future, too.

I'll try to take a couple of pics of the Outdoor Store together with my previous MOCs and maybe one or two official sets for size comparison.

I see where you are going with the roof, but I agree, sand green would match the color better. But this does add an interesting touch.

The dark orange and the white are used well together. I like the snot work with the white trim in the middle area, but it almost feels like too much white in that area because of it. Maybe it's just me.

Considering the main color of the building is Dark Orange, there isn't a lot of it visible on the facade, that's true. But in a way, that's what I wanted. I was aiming for an architectural style like you'd find on old buildings in cities such as Hamburg. They often had elaborate front facades using natural stone and stucco together with bricks, while on the back you'd find rather plain brick facades.

Never built a modular, but what i see here, really caught my attention - so much, that i would now totally love building one like this :wub:
There actually is no better fit than this dark turqoise!

Simply because its the opposite (contrast) colour of red-orange.
Well thought through!
Using the contrasts of colour circles is pure magic - as seen here - and always works :wink:
Combined with all the nice facade details and the white aspects it rounds this build up very nicely!

To be honest, I didn't know orange was the contrast color of turquoise. I just liked how the two of them looked together :laugh:

Edited by RogerSmith

On 21.9.2016 at 3:22 AM, Pickbricker89 said:

This is amazing! I've never thought about an outdoor store modular, but now I want it! Have you submitted this to Ideas?

Nope. At over 3500 pieces, it's way too big. I could leave out a floor and almost bring it to standard modular piece count, but it looks a abit stunted that way. (the floors are designed to be interchangeable, so it's no problem to do)

On 21.9.2016 at 3:26 AM, BrickHat said:

I really like this little store. It is very original and really reminds me of outdoor stores. :sweet:

How did you manage to put the rock piece upside down? Is it secured in place or is it loose?

Like this:

Pieces highlighted in bright yellow are 1x1 bricks with stud on side. There's two connection points at the bottom, and another one at the top in the back.

26900159af.jpg

Edited by RogerSmith

On 22.9.2016 at 9:24 PM, BrickHat said:

You do have a point. You could always make a smaller version of the store and submit it.

To be honest, I don't see the point in that.

I'd rather submit it in its >3500 piece glory then trying to design a scaled-down version. Even on the odd chance it went to review, it wouldn't get picked anyway (going pretty much directly against the direction Lego has taken with the modulars).