Sign in to follow this  
ClassicLook

[MOC] Skull's Eye Cutter

Hi,

Let me share with you my custom pirate ship. It's not actually an own creation, it's just a re-design, but I tried to build in some unique solutions, so I think it's in the right topic.

I've always been a LEGO pirate fan, but I had only small sets. For a few months I returned to this passion and I started to collect bigger sets from 1990-1994. I prefer pirates and islanders subtheme. I've gotten the Renegade Runner, and I customised it (I've shared it in the improvements topic), but it wasn't enough! pir_laugh2.gif I wanted to have a more playable ship.

I didn't have so much space and money to collect big ships like BSB or SES, but I really liked the dimensions of the 6271 Imperial Flagship, so I desided to transform it into a pirateship.

I've seen good solutions on this site (for ex. from Cherno) and they also inspired me. A wanted to keep the shape of the original ship, with a design of the SES.

The sails I've used are from RR (which are perfectly match to the 6271), completed with the main sail from SES (that's also the same size as the 6271's).

I've added five minifigs from the SES and three animals too (monkey, parrot and rat).

It's not as creative as some ships here, but I'm very satisfied with it. Here's an overview:

29652689671_70b7f56d31_b.jpgIMG_4991 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Thanks for stopped by!

Edited by ClassicLook

On 2016. 09. 15. at 11:58 PM, deraven said:

Hi ClassicLook! Looks like a nice little ship - thanks for sharing!

You should review the section of the Eurobricks FAQs about image hosting and post etiquette to make your images easier to view and get more interaction and feedback on your MOCs:

http://www.eurobrick...41#entry1320172

Thanks for your advise!

Actually it's not so small, it was hard to find a place for it on the bookshelf! pirate_laugh_new.gif

But in comparison with the giant ships on this forum, yes, it's a little ship.

I've modifyied my first post and registered at Flickr, so I try to share my images again:

The details:

- Black, red and white bricks and extra cannons at the stern.

34944870644_8342f527df_b.jpgIMG_4993 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- Captain Redbeard with a parrot:

29622808732_5118d2103e_c.jpgIMG_4999 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- Additional ladder to the stern. There are two barrels with equipments and a rat under the deck. pirate_laugh_new.gif

29622808852_4d254c56bd_c.jpgIMG_5003 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- The deck is mounted with a working shipwheel, a compass, a treasure map, a telescope and a sextant.

35396802130_1ee4c53ca0_b.jpgIMG_5001 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- I didn't like the original cannons with wheels, so I created a sliding mechanism for fixed movement. There was enough space to make containers for the cannonballs too.

29622808632_f244d1097c_c.jpgIMG_4996 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- The biggest change was perfomed at the front. The nose is one brick higher, and the front mast goes up steeper. There is a skeleton as a front state. I completed the ship with a working anchor too. The idea of guns at the front deck came from the RR. They can be rotated due to a 1x1 round plate.

29622808922_3acc8cc177_c.jpgIMG_5004 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

- The mechanism of the anchor is based on a reel under the arch brick at the front. The rope turns 90 degrees to the anchor through a built "screw". It allowed me to mount a gun holder there too.

29622808622_b17911c6cb_c.jpgIMG_4995 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Edited by ClassicLook

An impressive creation based on Skull's Eye schoona. I'm surprised to be the first to comment! This set became a LEGO legend and was reissued in limited addition at the beginning of 2000-s. Perhaps we could exchange building technicks.

This is a perfect modification IMO! Now you have made me want to tear my SES apart and make two of these for my self! pir_laugh2.gif Only thing is.... Im missing the spanker sail though as I do not yet own the renegade runner.

Anyway, I like how you have kept loyal to the old and classical style whit your build here. If you happen to own the set: 6271-1 The Imperial flagship (Old one) Could it be possible to show them side by side to compare the two of them, maby in a fight?

Once again, great job!

Captain Becker

Thanks for your advise!

Actually it's not so small, it was hard to find a place for it on the bookshelf! pirate_laugh_new.gif

But in comparison with the giant ships on this forum, yes, it's a little ship.

If it makes you feel any better, when I posted my flagship here, which has four center hull sections, it was reblogged and described as "small but nice"...

This is a very nice mod to a classic ship- one that I've always wished I'd bought. It makes me want to actually do something with the black and grey small bow and stern sections that I've had sitting around forever.

If you happen to own the set: 6271-1 The Imperial flagship (Old one) Could it be possible to show them side by side to compare the two of them, maby in a fight?

Actually I owned it, because I used it as a donor to build this. I got it in an incomplete condition (no triangular sail, no big flag, broken nose mast, no cannons, no minifigs,...) for about 25 USD from an old schoolmate. To be honest, the colours don't match with my taste, so I didn't want to complete it at all (btw. the triangular sail is very rare and expensive). But I cleaned the items and put them together to feel the building once!pirate_classic.gif Off course I made a shot! Then I sold the sails and the rest of the parts to buy the original main sail of the SES and some extra parts. You can see a before-after picture here:

29717214801_ec238896c4_b.jpgÖsszehasonlítás by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I think the shape of the nose looks much better with a little curve in it (I built in one 2x2 inverted slope 45) and the use of white plates and bricks give it and elegant look.

Edited by ClassicLook

Just a little update.

I've modified the back of the ship. I've raised the window piece one plate higher. It looks more ergonomic now.

In addition, I've noticed recently, that the rudder wasn't accurate on the latest photo, so I've corrected it.

29622808532_ba85fa4ec6_b.jpgIMG_4993 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

29652689891_19fb5fb83a_b.jpgIMG_5001 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Edited by ClassicLook

I quite like it's classic look! And I too believe that this size is "just enough" for displaying purposes, at least for my limited space. I will definitely try to make one using the old instructions :wink: and a flavor of good old bluecoats!

The only spots that appear odd to me is the red line under the cannons and the also red slope at the rudder. Still it's a really nice alteration of a classic set!

On 2017. 07. 09. at 10:35 PM, blackdeathgr said:

I quite like it's classic look! And I too believe that this size is "just enough" for displaying purposes, at least for my limited space. I will definitely try to make one using the old instructions :wink: and a flavor of good old bluecoats!

The only spots that appear odd to me is the red line under the cannons and the also red slope at the rudder. Still it's a really nice alteration of a classic set!

Well, I'm not satisfied completely with the area under the cannons as well, but there's isn't so much space as at the SES. It could be light grey too, but I wanted to put some red in it.

I really like to see that bluecoats ship! Keep going! :wink:

Edited by ClassicLook

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted to my MOC's topic. The new IDEAS set has just arrived and I started to read the Pirates forum again.

I'd like to share now an addition to my ship, what I was working on last year. The idea came from the Ship in a bottle set. I like how that little ship swims in the 1x1 transparent round plates. I decided to make a water base and cover the whole creation with a transparent "box", protecting it from dust.

Here is the final result:

49724778588_7ab3422659_b.jpgDSC_0043 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637732_aa2f1e0e95_b.jpgDSC_0046 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637647_64dcd94f57_b.jpgDSC_0047 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49724778318_2bd7878dac_b.jpgDSC_0055 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637422_4347b2802b_b.jpgDSC_0056 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637302_c5cab9061f_b.jpgDSC_0063 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637202_aee3468299_b.jpgDSC_0067 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725317216_8fda00031c_b.jpgDSC_0076 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49725637027_7feb939d82_b.jpgDSC_0096 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Thank for stopped by.

Edited by ClassicLook
correction

On 9/16/2016 at 5:31 AM, ClassicLook said:

really liked the dimensions of the 6271 Imperial Flagship, so I desided to transform it into a pirateship.

So if 6271 Imperial Flagship mated with 6268 Renegade's Runner, this would be their offspring?

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So if 6271 Imperial Flagship mated with 6268 Renegade's Runner, this would be their offspring?

Yes, exactly! :wink:

It looks amazing as if it was a real set of the line! Love it. Would be a great addition with the Barracuda Bay.

I share you some details of the display.

Size: 52x33x45 cm (L x W x H)

Water base: 48x32x5 studs (L x W x H) with about 4000 1x1 round transparent blue plates

These were my inspirations (a can't name the creators, sorry):

49729142717_5936bc02d7_w.jpgInspiration to my MOD by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49728824781_96e8999112_w.jpgInspiration to my MOD by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49728278653_e3d1b95a15_w.jpgInspiration to my MOD by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

This was my first try to create water/sea effect. There are several ways to achive it. I decided to make it with 1x1 round transparent blue/clear plates/tiles. It could have been done more wavy, but it's a good start, I'm quite happy with the final result. 

I've had some issues with the 1x1 round transparent blue plates. One of my big order contained new, plant-based items, which have a little bit different shade, so I had to rearrange the structure. By the way, I felt these new parts softer too, they didn't fit as tight together as the older ones...

On 4/7/2020 at 2:09 AM, Elephant Knight said:

Wow. I did almost the exact same thing. Great minds think alike, eh?

Almost the same! Nice job!

How about the interior?

@ClassicLook well done, I always wanted to change the sails from one to the others stock-lego ships to see how they would look with different colours but you even changed the style of the boat itself to fit the original one, even better! The showcase just brings it to another level for presentation.

I'm doing a stretched version of my own Renegade Runner, where'd you get the sails from?

On 5/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, Samarth said:

I'm doing a stretched version of my own Renegade Runner, where'd you get the sails from?

The biggest one is from the Skull's Eye Schooner, the other are from the Renegade Runner. All sails are original.