Murdoch17

Benny's Classic Space models - rockets, robots and retro space!

(When the base and any other digital creations are built in real life, I will add those pictures into this page.)

This is the beginning of a journey through the wormhole to a mini-figure called Benny and a civilization on the cusp of greatness. His continuing mission: to seek out new lifeforms, to explore unknown worlds, all in the name of of science and awesomeness. The year is 1980-something, the name of the theme is Classic Space.

Classic Space fortress walls

43411904961_f2a8735fef_z.jpg

Seeing the LEGO Movie (part 2) trailer has got me on a Classic Space kick again! This expandable, modular space base was inspired by set 75919: Indominus Rex Breakout. I saw the first images of the set immediately thought of Classic Space, due to large amounts of blue and light / dark grays. The whole base can comfortably fit Benny's spaceship and can also fit two of my Galaxy class deep space fighters, plus Benny's car, and since it's all modular, it can be built as big or as small as need be!

43423578071_847729c960_z.jpg

Here is the main gate. It can open up all the way to allow the 8-stud wide ground vehicles though. Two of these parts go next to the gate where the un-printed 4 x 2 slopes are.

29661647476_d39fb6ecb5_z.jpg

This is one of twelve walls sections, held together with the other modules by four Technic pins.(two on each side)

29697286795_9fc84190b7_z.jpg

This is one of four of the corner modules. I redesigned these since last time to be less parts intensive and have fewer gaps in the wall.

Classic Space HQ

42707395254_19192a8d4b_z.jpg

This building model was inspired by sets 7641 (City Corner), 31026, (Bike Shop + Cafe). This building is Benny's home and the backup classic space command center.

42519341525_8edd5bd5c5_z.jpg

The delivery door out back was designed for semi-truck deliveries to the model rocket shop that originally occupied the building, but now serves as the entrance to the base. (NOTE: watch your head, as this is a very cramped area!)

42519341625_5de21061ce_z.jpg

Downstairs is the old model rocket store showroom, with a model Utopian city (with monorail!) and 1980's video game cabinet "Astro Nut". Benny keeps the sales counter the way it was in the old days, as a reminder of the building's heritage.

Inside and upstairs is the living area with the huge 1970's super computer LL9000 taking up a sizable amount of space at the top of the stairs. (that custom printed part is seen here) On the upstairs level as well is the cooking area and sleeping quarters, where Benny has a TV  to record his favorite shows on VHS tapes... old habits die hard I guess!

Classic 1970's Moonraker automobile

29552986388_1a954a6ee0_z.jpg

This is Benny the 1980-something space guy's 1979 Moonraker made by Neptune Auto Group. The engine has been upgraded from a gasoline chugging-monster into a more environmentally-friendly Hydrogen-3 Fusion engine to turn it into a modern mechanical beast with a retro exterior.

42519339045_41814c3030_z.jpg

Benny added bigger tires to the car to get it over the craters of the small moon where Benny's base is stationed. The car also has a spare tire located on the opening trunk.

42519339075_66291cbfa6_z.jpg

The roof is removable, and the three seats can fit figures with air-tanks and helmets. The doors open in the front normally, but in the rear they open in a reversed pattern to create a wider opening.

Cosmic Explorer

24303746787_e5cb9e9144_z.jpg

This is a heavily modified set 70816 (Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!) to features a new canopy from set 75176 (Resistance Transport pod) for the front windscreen, plus a rear turret that elevates and rotates in lieu of the radar dish and repair robots. To match the new canopy, the crew quarters were enlarged and opening roof remade, but the wings still fold out via the same Technic mechanism as in the original set 70816.

38456890214_a37c333a29_z.jpg

The rear of the ship features the three main engines. The sensor array that was once near here was replaced by a four-barrel repeating laser turret that can rotate a full 360 degrees and elevate to 180 degrees, allowing for cover fire in almost any direction.

24303747077_8424cb1868_z.jpg

The wings fold out if the center engine is pushed inwards, ready for the foam-tipped missiles to be engaged and aimed at any Blacktron III enemies... I did remove those yellow missiles, as they were too touchy and could fire accidentally.

38456890724_f09204764c_z.jpg

The main canopy has been heavily modified to allow for crew to go between the engineering and navigation sections without having to exit the ship. The Unikitty-seat area was replaced with a opening canopy for the engineering and fire-control crew to see outside from their stations near the Imagination Reactor.

Deep Space Fighters

38456889644_bce49a1c6b_z.jpg

These ships are deep space fighters of the Galaxy-class. Each seat one figure and have enhanced hyper-drive making it nearly as fast as LL-929. (Benny's spaceship) This ship was designed to be a heavily-armed fighter, and features an enclosed cockpit allowing for long distance travel such as from system to system if in an emergency.

38456889954_86649888f9_z.jpg

The rear of each of the two ship's features two engines made up of four thrusters.

24303746577_2a92305e59_z.jpg

Here is the cockpit, which can seat 1 pilot figure per ship.

K8-E the robot dog - Benny's best friend

After meeting the Doctor (Who?) and his K-9 (pronounced Canine) unit, Benny decided he wanted a pet. So he bought himself a retired space police bot named K8-E (it's pronounced Katy) who helps Benny with his maintaining his SPACESHIP! and home base of the fleet.

The two robot dogs eventually teamed up to sabotage a Blacktron and Dalek peace treaty from being signed, thus keeping the Universe safe from their plans for conquest for the moment. K8-E even took a laser shot from the Blacktron secondary leader, saving K-9 from being killed in the midst of them leaving the self-destructing Dalek ship. When reunited with Benny and the Doctor a short while later, the robot dog was fixed up and given the nod of approval from the Doctor, and a happy farewell from K-9, who left with the Doctor in the TARDIS to go to parts unknown looking for the Daleks fleeing from their loss at the hands of K8-E & K-9.

From then on, K8-E has been keeping Benny company while awaiting the return of K-9 and the Doctor.

42519338975_8b774053e1_z.jpg

K8-E is actually modified from set 8399 (K-9 Bot), which is a 2009 Space Police III set.

The Steel Colossus - Classic Space's Giant Robot

You may ask yourself: "Why would the Classic Space fleet want a giant robot?" The answer is a simple one: "Who in their right mind wouldn't want a giant freaking robot!?!?!"

42625267201_29409e7194_z.jpg

This model is a recolored and modified version of  Hachiroku24's Iron Giant model, but remade it into the Classic Space color-scheme with this printed logo slope on his chest.

41725373055_609c51dd74_z.jpg

The rear of the robot. The feet feature hidden trans-orange tiles to signify rocket-booster output nozzles. (not sohwn)

41725373165_89a187aedc_z.jpg

I revised the head again, this time to add a central fin that is more like the 50's inspired original Iron Giant. Bumblebee stripes are also on his upper torso, near the neck and the red and green indicator lights.

EDITED: 9/15/16: Added vehicles and K-8 to the main post.

EDITED 9/1/17: Added revised Benny's spaceship model, of which updated pictures are coming soon. 

EDITED 12/19/17 finally added real life pictures of a revised Benny's spaceship and support fighters.

EDITED 6/7/18: Added Giant Robot, new personal vehicle for Benny and a updated base.

EDITED 7/15/18: Added real-world pictures of Benny's car and building. Giant robot is next on the to-buy list as soon as funds are available!

As usual, Comments, questions and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

EDITED: 9/15/16: Added vehicles and K-8 to the main post.

29603954541_7225f8007d_z.jpg

It's a dog meet dog world when Benny and K-8 meet Doctor Who and K-9!

36794439352_a3fe2aefcb_z.jpg

Ever since the Attack on Octan Tower, Benny has been looking for a way to beef up his command spaceship, the Cosmic Explorer (LL929). Then he hit upon an idea: removing the fold-up sensor array and replace it with a rotating and elevating four-gun turret. he also removed the original angular windscreen and replaced it with larger one so you can walk from the engineering compartment to the navigation section.

Benny then set about working on his design, and plans on implementing it as soon as possible. This is just the latest in a series of modifications, including a enlarged secondary cabin underneath what used to be Astrokitty's seat, and removing of the wing-tip fighters.

(Updated real life pictures of this model coming soon, as the ship is being updated to include the new parts and features, including a new trans-yellow canopy!)

Say, I really like that mod! To me, it kind of is like a marriage of Benny's SSS and 2009's 5974 Galactic Enforcer. Maybe that's just because of the canopy, but still, it works quite nicely. :classic:

Now I have to say, one of the earlier builds on this topic I really dig are those Deep Space Fighters. As simple as they are, they have a sleek, automobile aesthetic I like. :thumbup: :sweet:

On 9/1/2017 at 8:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Say, I really like that mod! To me, it kind of is like a marriage of Benny's SSS and 2009's 5974 Galactic Enforcer. Maybe that's just because of the canopy, but still, it works quite nicely. :classic:

Now I have to say, one of the earlier builds on this topic I really dig are those Deep Space Fighters. As simple as they are, they have a sleek, automobile aesthetic I like. :thumbup: :sweet:

Thanks, I guess the Galactic Enforcer was a subliminal influence that I didn't notice until now... thanks for point that out. I am also glad you like the deep space ships, as that sleek look was the aesthetic I was aiming for!

36603516330_670b66a88e_z.jpg

Note: I just updated the building to be a lot smaller (and cheaper!) than the previous base with walls... Any thoughts on that or Benny's new 1961 Corvette?

Edited by Murdoch17

Alright, that '61 Vette is pretty cool, especially with that windshield in Trans-yellow. :thumbup: :grin:

Funny, even though I knew that Lola in AoS was a '61 Vette, I didn't even think about the fact that technically the hovercar featured in the Detroit Steel set is unofficially Lego's first take on that model. The set may not be directly entied to the show, but the inspiration is of course obvious.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:29 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Alright, that '61 Vette is pretty cool, especially with that windshield in Trans-yellow. :thumbup: :grin:

Funny, even though I knew that Lola in AoS was a '61 Vette, I didn't even think about the fact that technically the hovercar featured in the Detroit Steel set is unofficially Lego's first take on that model. The set may not be directly entied to the show, but the inspiration is of course obvious.

good point, never thought about that!

38456892024_c82072f568_z.jpg

Finally got Benny's SPACESHIP! finished, and now just need the HQ, car and Benny's robot dog to complete the scene.

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Finally got Benny's SPACESHIP! finished, and now just need the HQ, car and Benny's robot dog to complete the scene.

It looks pretty nice fleshed out! By the way, do you have any interior pictures of the lower and upper cockpit areas?

Also, it's cool seeing those Deep Space Fighters once again. :blush:

Posted (edited)
On 12/19/2017 at 8:45 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

It looks pretty nice fleshed out! By the way, do you have any interior pictures of the lower and upper cockpit areas?

Also, it's cool seeing those Deep Space Fighters once again. :blush:

Sorry for the late reply, @Digger of Bricks , but I don't have inside pictures yet.

41884661954_b7b5dde07c_z.jpg

Right now, though, I've got a quite a bit to catch up on, building-wise! (the first post has been updated with a ton of new goodies)

Edited by Murdoch17

Posted (edited)

Atmospheric Re-entry Imminent  (OR, the story of how Benny gained his robotic arm)

42580181142_e08dc5a170_z.jpg

Benny the classic 1980's spaceman: What the status on our giant robot? Is he on schedule to meet up with our scientist friends at that Martian crystal miner outpost? You know we need him to solve that invading alien problem disrupting our fuel supplies.

Random Technician: We've just lost contact, we think it may have been shot down over Neptune by someone or something. All communication ceased just five minutes ago.... I was just trying to reach you on the holo-phone.

Benny (thinking deeply): Any indicators of who it might be? Any sub-space communications in the area or possibly any spy droids who could shoot him down?

Technician: No sir, and a probe droid plowed the way earlier, and found nothing new on Neptune or anywhere near it... so it must have been either a freak accident, or...

Benny: or what?

Technician (whispering): ..it is possibly something we never thought off. Something even you could not prevent nor saw coming:

Benny: Spyruis? Insectoids? laser sharks?!

Technician: No, sir, Blacktron III. Maybe even using cloaking technology, that or...

Benny:  or what?!?

Technician (eyes change color to red with evil power as he grabs Benny's right arm and begins to squeeze really hard): Internal sabotage!

(this post is just to prove I'm not done with this idea, and am working on getting things in order for a future purchase of the robot. I also thought I'd tie it into the LEGO Movie 2 poster where Benny has a robotic arm with no explanation on why or how it got there)

42411588174_b28ae298b8_z.jpg

This piece of custom printed 8 x 16 retro-styled LEGO tile was gotten just yesterday from BrickBuildersPro, as seen here. It is currently awaiting the construction of the command center and walls.

Edited by Murdoch17

Posted (edited)

This is Benny the 1980-something space guy and his robo-dog K8-E. (pronounced "Katy") They have just spruced up Benny's '79 Moonraker.

42251391075_bcf3a14509_z.jpg

The engine in this car has been upgraded from a gasoline chugging-monster into a more environmentally-friendly Hydrogen-3 Fusion engine to turn it into a modern mechanical beast with a retro exterior.

28286331517_fd70bc0867_z.jpg

The roof is removable, and the three seats can fit figures with air-tanks and helmets. The doors open in the front normally, but in the rear they open in a reversed pattern to create a wider opening. This printed 4 x 2 slope part goes on the nose of the car.

Edited by Murdoch17

The Universe is in chaos. Evil armies run amok, while sky-pirates prey on the biggest of space-freighters. Shadowy organizations with unknown motives leave inter-planetary space police and some stellar governments in chains of corruption and crime, while those who fight back are swept aside.

Meanwhile, the astronauts of Classic Space are keeping as little contact as possible with the outside Universe beyond their little pocket dimension of time stuck some-when between 1978 to 1987.

But this position is becoming impossible, with constant intrusion into their space by others and with the time-pocket becoming increasingly unstable. So, in the interest of seeking new allies and finding peace in the advanced modern world, a delegation of astronauts where given four years and several ships to do just that. The years is 2018, and what you are about to hear is called THE VOYAGER FILES...

28460724847_c39edc7d93_z.jpg

(In reality, this is just a picture of my Classic Space fleet so far.... there is more to come soon, though. I also thought up the above TV-style intro as if it were a 1990's sc-fi show, sorta like Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...)

28286331287_680f8fd293_z.jpg

This car and robot dog have been already ordered and on there way, and are to be built in early August.

42625267201_29409e7194_z.jpg

This big guy is to be ordered / built later this year. (I hope around early November)

43232097072_8e837376b7_z.jpg

The house (as shown in the first real-world picture) gets trans-yellow windows and other miscellaneous stuff at the same time the car get a built in early August. Consider it an much-needed upgrade, which can be seen more of here.

Well, what do you think?

Edited by Murdoch17

42519341405_d6f726fbe8_z.jpg

Behold, Benny the 1980-something space guy's home and car, in all their Classic Space glory. The house folds open, and the car's roof comes off, both to access the very detailed inside sections. Please see the first post for more details on how this has now been worked into the base wall's structure.

Edited by Murdoch17