Murdoch17

Benny's Classic Space models - spaceships, robots, and buildings!

On 12/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Renny The Spaceman said:

Ooo, snazzy!

On 12/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, sander1992 said:

I saw the pic on Flickr.

Nice update.

46127620472_e5c876486b_z.jpg

Thanks @Renny The Spaceman and @sander1992. I thought about waiting the three weeks to post these, but then my will to wait broke down and I posted them anyway. The four new building pictures are all in the first post!

Edited by Murdoch17

4 hours ago, sander1992 said:

Nice! :thumbup:

Interesting choice for Space.

I guess someone was a bit nostalgic. :laugh:

Thank you @sander1992! Well, it was either this mansion, or a blue / white / light bluish gray Classic Space version of the Darth Vader's castle set. My brother, who is building a Neo-Blacktron base, beat me to that set with his version (currently on order from Bricklink) so I went with my 10228 model in CS colors. (I didn't want to seem like I was copying him, and besides, the castle already looks evil enough without lime green and trans-bright green added in!)

Edited by Murdoch17

It's nice to see you've finally got your Classic Space mansion built IRL.  The dark red roof looks a lot better than it did in the render.  I can't wait to see it with the walls and everything, too.  May I ask if your brother has an account on Eurobricks or Flickr?  I'd be interested to see how his building style compares to yours.

9 hours ago, icm said:

It's nice to see you've finally got your Classic Space mansion built IRL.  The dark red roof looks a lot better than it did in the render.  I can't wait to see it with the walls and everything, too.  May I ask if your brother has an account on Eurobricks or Flickr?  I'd be interested to see how his building style compares to yours.

Thanks, and neither can I! Here is his flickr. He hasn't uploaded much yet (82 photos so far), but he's working on it. He doesn't have a Eurobricks account, but some of his models are pretty cool. Sometimes we borrow models from each other, as you will find, with his original blacktron fighter, which started life as my Nexus force fighter ship.

Edited by Murdoch17

Classic Space 75217 MOD Conveyex Crawler Transporter (UPDATE)

45389193355_43f4531cbb_z.jpg

I added trans-yellow windows and eight air-tank friendly seats to my already-finished Conveyex Crawler to turn it from a cargo hauler to a people transporter. The 160 parts (total) should be ordered to convert the older, real world model to it's new form come January 2019. This will be a much cheaper option than buying the other train I unveiled in the Train Tech forum by about $200 USD, and I won't have to worry about adding in any track (or more openings) to my current space base setup I've already designed.

45389193395_b6f46b8e9d_z.jpg 46251663982_0410e11e96_z.jpg

Each of the two former cargo cars can hold four seats each behind the fold-up side walls, plus on both of the engine units is the dual drivers compartments, located on either side of the tread behind the square openings.

Any thoughts on this new development?

Oh, I like that better.  It fits the character of Benny better than the cargo hauler (since when does Benny care about coaxium and brutish armor?) or the rail train (too twentieth-century).  The big yellow windows on this train match the big, inviting yellow windows of the 78-79 CS bases.  They give the same message of come and stay a while, and check out our new equipment! The windowless Conveyex gives the message of outta my way or imma run you over.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:39 AM, icm said:

Oh, I like that better.  It fits the character of Benny better than the cargo hauler (since when does Benny care about coaxium and brutish armor?) or the rail train (too twentieth-century).  The big yellow windows on this train match the big, inviting yellow windows of the 78-79 CS bases.  They give the same message of come and stay a while, and check out our new equipment! The windowless Conveyex gives the message of outta my way or imma run you over.

Thanks @icm for your help! I'm gonna get the parts for the Conveyex's windows, plus two Benny's space squad's (when I can find them) after Christmas is over.

Edited by Murdoch17

So this is what nearly 2,500 parts of Classic Space base wall looks like in raw, un-built form! Soon, (hopefully by new years eve, as it's a lot of repetitive work) these will form twelve straight sections, four corners, and one main gate with two interlocking / sliding door sections on it.

46386665292_9d790db74a_z.jpg

These segments are all modular based, so they can be rearranged in any way or size I want. The largest of these possible formats is four XL base-plates square. (96 x 96 studs, or 30 inches by 30 inches!)

43568059045_e0c98273d3_z.jpg

Here is what it looked like when I ordered the parts, way back in early September. I'm making amends to the original design to make space for the 10228-style mansion (see previous posts) and it's support walls.

This also constitutes as my Christmas haul post for 2018, so Happy Holidays!

45563265305_c81de67b77_z.jpg

Just picked up these six astronauts this morning from the LEGO store, and finally finished building the modular Classic Space base walls too. More pics will come as soon as some of my stuff comes back from the show it is currently at.

In-universe picture description:

The astronauts you see here are the famous "Lost Six". These half-dozen brave souls were with Benny in 1988 when the space station they were on was ambushed by Blacktron I forces and blasted into a black hole. Benny managed to escape the station before it entered the gravity field, but only just in the nick of time. (He could not reach his ship mates due to a computer error with the hatch systems.) Benny's suit was damaged in the escape, and he still wears it like that to this day as a reminder of his failure to get his crew off in time. This is the last picture of the Lost Six, with Benny out of frame because he took the picture. (He was supposed to be in the picture, but he forgot to set the timer on that take.) Will we ever see these brave men and women again? Only time will tell! 

Edited by Murdoch17

After constructing my current building for Benny, I realized it is too small to fit everything inside that I wanted to include. Thus, I was inspired to redo this earlier model from the Jurassic World set 75930 (Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate), with some design cues from Classic Space sets from the 1980's.  (I will be taking apart my 10228-style house to make this model in January 2019.)
45600710095_8c1483d392_z.jpg

The main dollhouse-style mansion model was built from the set pictures of 75930 and from features from the second Jurassic world movie itself, with the fall-apart play features removed and two opening rear quarter-sections added to match the front half. The model also features an added round "time window" for Benny to experiment with in his spare time. As usual, the classic space logo goes just above the front door, but below the balcony on the 4 x 2 slope.

46514132871_5e954556c3_z.jpg

The rear of the mansion features a conservatory and the chimney flue, along with a back door and rear porch light.

The fortress walls you see on either left and right ends were inspired by a very much expanded and modified Jurassic World set 75919 (Indominus Rex Breakout). This building will be part of the modular fortress designed to hold spaceships and ground vehicles for Benny's classic space fleet, along with the giant robot I have already constructed in real life.

45600710125_95b468e69d_z.jpg

The house folds apart, with the two rear sections opening in quarters up to 90 degrees, while the conservatory opens up to 180 to allow for figure placement. (Up to five Technic pins can hold the model shut at key points for transportation with ease and handling with little fragility.)

45600710155_882b0c32ef_z.jpg

The front half on the found floor features the entry hall, TV room with couch and dining room. The second floor features the custom-printed master computer (un-printed here in LDD) Benny's bedroom and office. The uppermost two floors features the science lab, with the time window and radar / communication dish control stations (sadly also un-printed).

46514132921_b282fd97f0_z.jpg

The right rear quarter has the dining room on the first floor, a miniature model city on the second level, and a rocket model on the third floor. Stairs from the first to second level are in the section, as is the back door to exit the building.

45600710205_eff75a35af_z.jpg

The left rear quarter features the conservatory and some furniture on the first and second floor. This section also has stairs from second to third floors, plus a '80's video game cabinet (Astro Nut, of course!) on the second floor, along with Benny's golden arcade video game tournament trophy.

Expect to see this revised and expanded mansion model in mid-January 2019, and @icm @sander1992 I think you might like this one a bit better than before!

Edited by Murdoch17

Great update, @Murdoch17.

I look forward to the real life version of this.

Perhaps a bit more interior with some controls or a small power supply to fill the mansion.

Okay, so I've got my CS Conveyex crawler upgraded to have windows, and added a different nose to my Benny's Spaceship to make it a bit longer, but I can't take pictures tonight. (maybe tomorrow?) Anyway, I've been looking at my options, and my current 10228 house doesn't look good, and my other, larger version doesn't very look good either. So, I went back to the 6398 MOD my brother helped me with, and took it in a different direction with modular floors and not pull-away compartments.

46251674504_ff6fe2f2ce_z.jpg

I removed the prison cell and changed the color scheme from white and black to blue and white with trans-yellow glass. The windows and doors were also modernized, and a large spinning sensor array added to the roof. I've also added connectors to the main base walls, which means the building is fully integrated into my modular Classic Space Base.

46251674544_bb2d0cf389_z.jpg

The bottom-most floor is for the meeting room and welcome desk. Their is a model of the LEGO System Congress building (with the Duplo embassy nearby), a replica of Benny's original broken helmet, and a kitchen for making coffee.

46251674654_6c69c22542_z.jpg

The second floor is for computers and their workers who watch the universe via digital feeds in real time looking for abnormalities (Blacktron raiders / gamma ray bursts, etc.) that could damage Classic Space infrastructure / employees. They then alert the installations in advance using a sub-space relay, getting the warning out before the danger hits.

46251674844_bdf24e4284_z.jpg

The third floor is the break room, with an arcade machine, TV, and and couch. The outside porch area is nice on a cool day, and features a statue of the first Classic Space astronaut.

33100701638_90dd91d06d_z.jpg

The fourth floor is Benny's office, with a model rocket, mainframe wall-mounted computer, desk and chair. He also has a balcony to look down into the break room.

More to come (hopefully) soon!

Added updated pictures of the Conveyex Crawler-Transporter and the space fleet to the first post.

46946151392_e1f680593a_z.jpg

Sorry for the not-white carpet background, but I moved recently, and I seem to have lost my photo taking sheet.:sceptic:

This eight-wide Classic Space model was based upon the awesome Incredibile instructions made by @hachiroku originally for use with Mister Incredible from the LEGO Incredible's video game.

47360024852_3542865acb_z.jpg

I have reconfigured the car for use with Benny the 1980-something space guy, and added trans-yellow windows, a blue + light gray paint scheme, with additional black / yellow bumblebee stripes for good measure.

46497618085_d99124396b_z.jpg

The car also now has two side mirrors, red wheels, and a license plate in the back instead of the original jet booster exhaust outlet. The central 4 x 2 slope (just below the rear window) is supposed to have this Classic Space logo print.

47360024882_be7409d476_z.jpg

The 6 x 6 roof panel on top of the car comes off, revealing the detailed inside. One mini-figure (Benny) can sit at the controls of the car.

(NOTE: It still remains to be seen if this newer car will be built to replace the 1950's-style one currently in use by me for Benny, but if it does become a reality, it will be more in tune with the 1980's tastes Benny has than the current car. Only time will tell!)

I finally was able to put together a group shot of all* my Classic Space models built so far in the real world, all assembled in one place.

46745817835_f75b340ee9_z.jpg

This includes the following, plus around 25 mini-figures that are not shown:

- giant robot
- security jeeps (x2)
- Benny's car
- Conveyex transporter front unit
- Conveyex transporter rear unit
- Conveyex transporter middle sections (x2)
- space fighters (x2)
- space cruiser
- modular wall straight sections (x12)
- modular wall corner sections (x4)
- modular wall gate section
- ground control building

(*Two of the TLM2 Space Squad gray-scale "rover" vehicles got left out of the frame by accident.)

Edited by Murdoch17

This eight-wide Classic Space model was loosely based upon cobbled-together hot rod in set 70829 (Emmet and Lucy's Escape Buggy!) from the LEGO Movie 2 - the second part.

47962108113_8e3b1db90f_z.jpg

I have reconfigured the car's front end (the only part I kept mostly intact from the set) for use with Benny the 1980-something space guy, and added trans-yellow windows, a blue + light gray paint scheme, with additional black / yellow bumblebee stripes for good measure. I have removed the set's wild suspension, and added a more tame rear half to better match the front portion. This looks (to me) like a late 1970's muscle car, of the same time frame when Classic Space launched in 1978.

47962086427_ce0376624e_z.jpg

The forward roof panel on top of the car comes off, revealing the detailed inside, plus the doors on both sides can open. One mini-figure (Benny) can sit at the controls of the car.

47962108178_4a98b1a52c_z.jpg

The car also has two side mirrors, red wheels, and a license plate in the back instead of the original huge engine and jet booster exhaust outlet. I also added in a Jack Stone spoiler piece because, why not? 

This one will be built along with a much larger radar dish for the house / command center sometime next month.

48608277057_d8831453ee_z.jpg

This model was constructed from parts of half the Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown model (modified from set 76108) I no longer was using for my mad scientist, so I thought Benny the classic space astronaut could downsize and takeover ownership. Sadly, this means his original 10228-style mansion will need to be taken apart to be used as a parts source for this model. (Oh well, it never really matched the rest of the space base's style anyway!)

This new CS-style model is slightly enlarged from it's previous occupant, and features the XL radio antenna on the roof. The windows are now in the standard trans-yellow, with a huge sign out front above the door supposed to feature two 4 x 2 slope parts with the CS logo on them.

48175186082_0a01e1187f_z.jpg

The missing parts for the building were ordered yesterday, and it should be built by this time next week (or a little later), while the car and radio antenna were built way back in early July... I just forgot to upload the pictures I took to this topic. Oh well, more recent versions will be uploaded soon!

This train is a very heavily modified Classic Space version of sets 75217 (Imperial Conveyex Transport), 79104 (Shellraiser Street Chase), mixed with the nose of a Baldwin diesel "Sharknose" locomotive MOC by @Legownz over on the Train-Tech forum. (as seen here). Thanks to Legownz for the LDD file of his engine which made this train possible!

49770896797_37a00db069_z.jpg

The train can be shortened or lengthened in modular sections depending on the needs of the specific mission, but in this particular case it has two engine units, (1 leading, 1 trailing) and two conjoined passenger hauler segments. The passenger sections are connected to each other by Jacobs bogies, but are connected to the engine units by regular magnets, allowing for more groups-of-two passenger sections to join in the train.

49770039418_75b9d31812_z.jpg

The two engine units are missing the front Classic Space 4 x 2 slope nose print, plus the four diagonal stripe parts in yellow on both sides of each loco and the eight cooling fans up on each of the roofs.49770571256_a0e3ce7610_z.jpg

Inside the loco is a engine block inspired by the Santa Fe Super Chief. (set 10020) Besides having all the walls open up vertically, (not shown in any picture due to LDD glitches) the front glass folds up to place an engineer figure at the controls as well.

49770896847_9aaaca1bb6_z.jpg

Each passenger car seat four figures, meaning the whole train hauls eight people (+ their air-tanks!).

The model is a possible replacement for my traditional-looking Conveyex, and about 25% of the new model's parts would come from the older model. I also am considering eventually buying the Naboo Royal starship MOC in CS colors, as seen in this topic here. But for now, they have to wait. (The train may never be built, as the 9v / RC wheels are getting hard to find, and my family source {AKA my dad } for new ones getting a little low on them!)

Any thoughts?

Just now, Murdoch17 said:

Thanks to Legownz for the LDD file of his engine which made this train possible!

Glad I could help! It is nice to see that one of those LDD files I uploaded helped someone out. Your model looks fantastic, by the way! Love the slanted walls. Very cool!

49795229317_f2a0082392_z.jpg

This is the Classic Space command center for Benny's fleet. The building swings open and locks shut on a Technic pin. This model was constructed from parts of half the Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown model (modified from set 76108) I no longer was using for my mad scientist, so I thought Benny the classic space astronaut could downsize and takeover ownership. (with a Classic-styled color change, of course!)

The windows are now in the standard trans-yellow, with a huge sign out front above the door that features a 4 x 2 slope parts with the CS logo on it. The year 1978 is on the front of the building, as that's the year Classic Space was founded.

49794376998_199aaf8c6c_z.jpg

The rear of the house. The two side walls hook into my expansive Classic Space modular base system, styled after the Jurassic World sets from 2014.

49794923941_c5cfaf7aba_z.jpg

The inside of the front of the building features the fireplace, lamp and waiting room for potential new members to Classic Space membership. The second floor features Benny's office TV to keep tabs on current events, and a couple pieces of memorabilia. On the third floor we have the radio antenna control equipment and a small model city layout.

49794923881_c224150b38_z.jpg

The rear portion of the building features the first floor break room kitchen, and Benny's desk on the second level. The third floor features a master terminal for LL9000, the "brains" behind the fleet movements and hyperspace jump routes of all of classic space. It keeps freighter's from bouncing off moons and entire flotilla's from flying into supernovas at hyper-speeds... always a bad idea!

In case you were wondering how this is an update, this model has been widened by four studs width-wise since last uploaded to allow for the third floor 8 x 16 custom printed computer to fit (see below)

42411588174_b28ae298b8_z.jpg

Sadly, the company that sold this printed 8 x 16 part (Brick Builders Pro) no longer sells this, or any other custom printed parts.

The first post has the inside and outside of the updated building (as written above), along with pictures of the walls / front gate as was promised about a year or so ago. (sorry!)

Edited by Murdoch17

I was inspired to build this model by set 76038. (Attack on Avengers Tower) from 2015. I turned it into a Classic Space skyscraper,  specifically one for Benny's HQ.

49966882411_bf7c87f9a7_z.jpg

The reason I did this was my current building is not working out like I planned. (Not to mention it isn't nearly modern enough.) Thus, this one was designed with it's ultra-sleek feel and wraparound window on the top floor for Benny's office, overlooking the whole space base which he commands, which also conveniently hooks into the walls of the building at the base. I also had to add in another straight wall section to fill in the space voided by the previous bigger building that was removed.

49967156387_78e17f854b_z.jpg

The street-side of the building features the canopy-covered front door with the year that Classic Space was started emblazoned on the top row of studs. (1978, labeled in printed 1 x 1 tiles) Slightly above that is the CS logo piece as seen here.

49966374863_57bc8eb736_z.jpg

The two upper most floors are Benny's office and then the memorabilia room, featuring Benny's original broken helmet and a golden Space Paranoids high score trophy. (Benny won several competitions in the late 1980's after being coached by game master / inventor Kevin Flynn.) There is also supposed to be the trans-dark blue Space infinity stone in there for safekeeping, but the Avengers needed it recently, so he gave it back and is patiently waiting for it's eventual return to him.

The next three floors down are where the computers that control the rooftop radio antenna dish are situated. They all look the same so only one is shown.

49966964278_5a1b6c3d31_z.jpg

Here is my Classic Space space base with the new skyscraper HQ attached.

Any thoughts? Does this look better than before? (I just wish I could use the big 8 x 16 screen piece, but alas, there is no way to fit it in.)

This building was inspired by my brother's take on set 6398, Central Precinct HQ. He added a back staircase module (which I have removed in favor of an older 2015 Avengers tower-inspired model / MOC I made a couple weeks back), while I removed the prison cell and changed the color scheme from white and black to blue and white with trans-yellow glass. The windows and doors were also modernized, and the large spinning sensor array added to the roof. I've also added connectors to the main base walls, which means the building is fully integrated into my Classic Space base.

50081433887_f36c493ecb_z.jpg

As previously stated, the rear was inspired by set 76038, Attack on Avengers Tower, from the Age of Ultron movie. This ultimately meant that the 1990's-style model's floors had to be stretched upwards by two bricks each in height to match the newer model's floor-plan.

50081185696_daca98ed88_z.jpg

I really like the sleek wraparound window on the top floor of the building, as it is where personal Benny's office is. He gets to look out on the space base, and marvel at how things have changed since his creation in 1984.

50081433912_3e9d9ac2bd_z.jpg

The right side wall opens up to reveal the inside of the building. Ground floor is official meeting space, second and third floors are for monitoring the radio telescope and other such devices across the galaxy. Fourth floor is the break room, while the fifth floor is Benny's personal office. (Note: On the outdoor patio on floor three is a monument to Jens Nygaard, the gone-but-not-forgotten creator of Classic Space. See here for how the statue looks in real bricks.)

50080607323_a95f774d92_z.jpg

The rear tower folds open for access too, and like the side wall, locks shut on a Technic pin. Here you can also see Benny's desk.

Builder's notes:

Well, I got to keep my big 8 x 16 computer screen in Benny's office + I got to implement that office tower I liked so much to boot. It's the best building I've built yet! Also, I've taken apart the Sanctum Sanctorum version of Benny's building to get an accurate count of how many bricks I need to buy to get this one built.

Any thoughts, comments, complaints, or questions?