Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17 Rumors and Discussion

16 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

It would probably be misinterpreted as a euthanasia-in-progress. 

It's a French bulldog, and it's an excuse to give us more animals. Although a poodle might have been too cliche, that would have been nice too.

Morbid... :look:

I too would have expected a poodle for a Frenchman. Maybe there will be a French lady in a next series?

58 minutes ago, Ardelon said:

Morbid... :look:

I too would have expected a poodle for a Frenchman. Maybe there will be a French lady in a next series?

Think the lack of a syringe may precisely be so that it doesn't look like the bunny is a test subject!

french bulldog is a canny addition. They're now one of the most popular and 'fashionable' dog breeds, so it's turned a good figure into one that will be popular just for the pup. 

Surely we must take a break from new dog breed moulds for a few series now though - unless there's a planned city subtheme of dog grooming sets or a CMF planned with 16 different breeds! 

I don't get the dislike for the Corn Cob Suit Guy's head. It reminds me vaguely of a cartoon from the late 80s. I'd put it on a different fig, but the print itself looks good to me. I have a screaming face (Kingdoms, I think) that would be better. I know series 14 had a screaming face on the plant fig, but I didn't get that one. Those two together would be funny, though.

Okay, summative thoughts.

Surfer Boy: Meh. Nothing really new, just a couple of prints to keep him unique.

Gourmet Chef: I really like her. The printed pie is nice, and the hair/toque and whisk will be great additions to LEGO's culinary realm.

Hot Dog Vendor: Actually pretty useful- fast-food, city, fairground, whatever! I like the tray and the drink cup and hot dog- lots of nice pieces in one place!

Elf Maiden: While she suits the blue, I was hoping she would coordinate better with the Series 3 Elf. I don't know, I think I'd be a lot more excited about her if the Tolkien sets never happened.

Circus Strongman: He's just great. I love the leopard-print costume and the printed balls for the weight set.

Yuppie: I might need one just for that brick phone. Otherwise, it's a bit of an odd and undesirable character, regardless of generation.

Vet: Good to see that hair again, and I like her face. The rabbit is very welcome, and her scrubs are appropriate.

Connoisseur: I like him. The torso will be nice to have, and the bulldog is great. 

Butterfly Girl: Very cute, and I love the bright colors and new wings.

Gladiator: That hairpiece is perfect for a Roman, isn't it. Good for army builders.

Corn Cob Guy: That's one impressive mustache! I like the idea, but I don't know if I really need one outside of Scarecrow-henchman duties.

Retro Space Hero: I love the old idea of the future, and he does it just right.

Dance Instructor: Manages to be interesting in every way the Fitness Instructor was boring. I love the hair and the ridiculously eighties outfit, and the bottle assembly is clever, too. 

Battle Dwarf: I think his red is a bit too bright to sell me- a darker shade would have looked less modern to me. Still, I like the concept, and I wonder when we'll see a good dwarf in this line. 

Rocket Boy: Adorable, and a nice way to take advantage of a figure whose legs can't move- the costume isn't restricting anything. I think he'll be a perfect Trick-or-Treater....now I want to put an alien face in that outfit!

7 hours ago, ENDerke said:

Is it possible, that the there is an exclusive highwayman with a different printing and colour? It would not be possible to tell them apart through the bags. This would just a lot more fair about the luckyness. Also this just an idea that came to my mind, I do not think that before series 20 we just get randomly a super rare extra fig.  For me it was my life's biggest fail, when i found the Mr Gold, but I did not know about it, becouse I thought "I have enough cilinders, so I do not need any more of them". Because of this I just have bad feelings about the exclusive minifigs.

This is an interesting thought. Maybe we'll see multiple colors of highwaymen. Collect them all made more problematic?

For me, my must haves are:
Surfer: I don't have any, the shark print is great, the hair useful for other figs, and the wetsuit looks like it could easily be repurposed for something sci-fi.

Female chef: I love the hair+toque combo, the whisk is a nice touch, and her facial expression looks unique enough. Also, dat pie :wub:

Gladiator: It's always good to have multiple bare-chested variants for historical MOCs, and the hair and face look good for other uses. Hoping he comes with a net accessory, even though it's not shown here.

Battle Dwarf: I love the whole look of him, and the parts--hair, face, beard, print, weapon--will for sure find other uses in my collection.

Rocket Kid: I am sure I can find a use for this, and it's really a superb design.

Highwayman: I would like to see a pic (wouldn't we all!) but I'm pretty sure I'll need at least one.

Some that I will maybe pick up are the Butterfly Girl, the Female Elf (need to see better pictures to decide), the Vet, the Retro Spaceman, and the Corn Suit Guy. I actually really like the mustache he has, but don't have much use for a corn suit (and I agree the two don't match).

Thanks again @Itaria No Shintaku for the game!

11 hours ago, Roebuck said:

For me the French bulldog and the rabbit is a nice surprise, I will get as many as I can of those and 1 each of around 8 other figs :grin:

For every dog breed we get, we are getting closer to my favourite; the dachshund :wub: Maybe one is accompanying a German in series 18 :tongue:

Dachshund :wub: Yes, please!

9 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

The Rocket Suit kid is just everything. My favorite so far. 

Mine too... beautiful one.

8 hours ago, ENDerke said:

Is it possible, that the there is an exclusive highwayman with a different printing and colour? It would not be possible to tell them apart through the bags. This would just a lot more fair about the luckyness. Also this just an idea that came to my mind, I do not think that before series 20 we just get randomly a super rare extra fig.  For me it was my life's biggest fail, when i found the Mr Gold, but I did not know about it, becouse I thought "I have enough cilinders, so I do not need any more of them". Because of this I just have bad feelings about the exclusive minifigs.

Really interesting thought! I didn't think about it, and I like the idea!

Anyway I like the moustache of the corn cob guy alot, they are funny, and I like the costume... but don't know if these two things will work together, I need to have the mf in my hands to say it...

Okay those are interesting theories about the Highwayman, but... why? What's the point of having different variations of the highwayman in various colors? Highwayman is a bit too specific type of minifigure to be a gimmick like Mr. Gold. I might be wrong, but I don't know, it sounds odd.

Also, yes, Yuppie's look is definitely supposed to be Don Johnson aka James Crockett. The battle dwarf is from Warhammer. I think the Retro Spaceman is also made after some character, he looks familiar.

Maybe they're trying to keep one of the designs a secret in order to generate more "Gotta get them all" hype for the younger crowd? Like "Get that last one and find out what he is!" type of thing?

So i don't need Luke Skydude/Surfwalker, i just want to see shark suit guy on that surfboard.

I'd like to know if the wings of the butterfly girl are translucent or not. I think they are and that makes them even less desirable for me.

If the Vet could have an extra attribute like a syringe (or maybe better a carrot?), maybe the gladiator has a net that hasn't been shown? And i can't wait to see those strange headpieces in the rocket. The eye of Sauron, Orca's mouth. It could also be used for playgrounds.

I also hope that Miami Vice guy has dual moulded arms to make it extra corny.

But i really really really like corn cob and the retro space guy. Spaceguy is supposed not to be evil? I thought that heroes back in the days never wore helmets, but had nice shiny hairdos. Anyway keep them coming Lego!

I also want to thank @Itaria No Shintaku for the guessing game, even though I usually dont like these games and I didnt take part. But this gam had the right kind of clues to make the figures guessable, why not being spoliery.

On another note, glad to see the "dislike" for the corn suit guys face being balanced out in the last several posts (count me in as another admirer). What do people have against him anyway?

19 minutes ago, Borex said:

I'd like to know if the wings of the butterfly girl are translucent or not. I think they are and that makes them even less desirable for me

They are not.

The light blue they have is similar to the background, That's why they seem to be.

I think the corn cob suit guy's face is not so bad, It can fit to the farmville themed MOCs.  Also I like when the minifig faces getting more diversed, I am also happy that we got new children faces.

Anyway, the Highwayman variations was just an idea that was enough interesting to share, it is so much possible that it will be just a simple part of the series.

55 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

They are not.

The light blue they have is similar to the background, That's why they seem to be.

Cool, then i want her as well :-)

Great series in my opinion, I'll take them all and a second butterfly girl to make a fairy. The animals are very appreciated also are the accessories. But a gold trident again? It could have been bicolored, brown and silver or dark grey.

Nice series. Every figure is solid, there aren't really any stinkers, but only the retro spaceman is a "must have" for me. I love that ray gun! I like the Warhammer-esque dwarf, but when I heard "Battle Dwarf" I was kind of hoping he'd be a more armoured figure who could stand in as one of Dain Ironfoot's soldiers.

I saw someone compare the mustached Corn Suit Guy to Borat in his bathing suit, and now I can't unsee it...

10 minutes ago, TinyPiesRUs said:

Nice series. Every figure is solid, there aren't really any stinkers, but only the retro spaceman is a "must have" for me. I love that ray gun! I like the Warhammer-esque dwarf, but when I heard "Battle Dwarf" I was kind of hoping he'd be a more armoured figure who could stand in as one of Dain Ironfoot's soldiers.

I saw someone compare the mustached Corn Suit Guy to Borat in his bathing suit, and now I can't unsee it...

The corn suit guy reminds me Don Carlton of Monsters University :grin: Same moustache, but no glasses

I'm a big an of new hairpieces and I LOVER the Dance Instructor's new hairpiece. it's just wild and big. 

4 hours ago, Giac88 said:

Mine too... beautiful one.

I aloud really like the butterfly wings they made. I like the colors they went for.

I am just thinking out loud here, and in the wrong section, I know, but after looking at the new bulldog, and the terrier from the last series, I wonder how long it will be before the Lego City line gets a dog park?

This time the series is focused on 2 main themes : City and Medieval Fantasy which is okay for me. Even the space guy could look like a medieval/knight guy with a sword.

Minifigures out of ten based on current pictures:

Surfer: 3

Chef: 9

Hot dog vendor: 9

Fitness instructor: 3

Battle dwarf: 3

Rocket suit guy: 9

Female elf: 5

Circus strongman: 1

Yuppie: 9

Vet: 7

Higwayman: 8

French man: 4

Butterfly suit girl: 6

Roman Gladiator: 3

Corn cob suit: 5

Retro space hero: 3

Overall, as I have previously mentioned, with the current pictures I'm not very impressed with this series, despite a few good minifigures. Individual and better quality pictures might make me change my mind.

Overall score (average): 5.4

The lego fan

Edited by The lego fan