Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17 Rumors and Discussion

Again, I am incredibly jealous of you all, I have only found places unwilling to put them out until the release date and the ones that do get out early get snatched up incredibly fast. 

Like, has anybody else had their areas sell out almost instantly? I know these are popular but I swear these are selling MUCH faster than previous series. :hmpf_bad:

Nope, surprisingly the TrU and sole Walmart to break street date still have a good amount. I've got my full set, but there are a couple I want to get spares of, and between Walmarts, Target, Five Below and HEB I should be sick of seeing this series well before The LEGO Ninjago Movie series is even unveiled. :laugh:

I spotted Series 17 yesterday at my Walmart, but I didn't have any burning must-haves with this group, so I passed for now. Maybe next time I find some. 

Went out today on a whim thinking my area might have them and luckily found a box at Walmart in Gurnee,IL. Was able to get an entire set besides somehow Rocket Boy was missing but given he is the rarest out of the box it makes sense. Will be making my originally planned journey to my local Lego store tomorrow to pick him up. Shouldn't be hard to find since I'll be there at opening.

Somehow I got a duplicate of the fairy because I didn't listen to my gut. I knew I had her but I wasn't sure. I had felt the flower the first time and then the second time I found her it was the wings but I after trying to find the first one again and somehow failing I decided to take the duplicate just to be sure. Oh well. I did also pickup a duplicate of the vet for my Mom. She is actually a nurse but this character looks almost like a modern nurse with the scrubs she is wearing.

Edited by Tech Artist

I know that this may not belong here, but am unsure of where else it may go so... with the new veterinarian's hair piece, could someone, if they have it, place her hair on Agent 13? I would like to see the result. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Anyone else wondering, but can't think why the Pastry Chef has 2 faces ? 

She is an odd pick for a second face. Then again, I think double-faces are criminally underutilized in the CMF line.

7 hours ago, Tech Artist said:

Went out today on a whim thinking my area might have them and luckily found a box at Walmart in Gurnee,IL. Was able to get an entire set besides somehow Rocket Boy was missing but given he is the rarest out of the box it makes sense. Will be making my originally planned journey to my local Lego store tomorrow to pick him up. Shouldn't be hard to find since I'll be there at opening.

Somehow I got a duplicate of the fairy because I didn't listen to my gut. I knew I had her but I wasn't sure. I had felt the flower the first time and then the second time I found her it was the wings but I after trying to find the first one again and somehow failing I decided to take the duplicate just to be sure. Oh well. I did also pickup a duplicate of the vet for my Mom. She is actually a nurse but this character looks almost like a modern nurse with the scrubs she is wearing.

Corn Cob and Rocket Boy almost feel the same except for the tip of the rocket. I've almost mixed them up a couple times now. Rocket Boy definitely seems to be the favorite from what I've come across so far. Some of the cases that had already been searched through were missing him. The saving grace will be people rushing through the cases and mixing up the two. (There are 5 Corn Cobs per case).

I was at the LEGO store in Stratford last Thursday and, unlike some CMF series, they said they wouldn't be selling S17 ahead of the official street date. 

TRUs and WHSs were breaking the street date from at least yesterday (30 April) in the London/Surrey border area. They only seemed to have one box at each store. That may be because that is all they had (or were willing to put out) or because they had had more boxes but had already sold so many packets by the time I got there that they were able to consolidate what was left into a single box. I have a feeling it was the former. I managed to pick up all the ones I wanted then: elf, dwarf, highwayman, retro spaceman, fairy girl, rocket boy, hot dog seller and gladiator. They were £2.99 each but I had a voucher for TRU so got a small discount.

11 hours ago, 22kane said:

Corn Cob and Rocket Boy almost feel the same except for the tip of the rocket. I've almost mixed them up a couple times now. Rocket Boy definitely seems to be the favorite from what I've come across so far. Some of the cases that had already been searched through were missing him. The saving grace will be people rushing through the cases and mixing up the two. (There are 5 Corn Cobs per case).

Same here. I didn't come across many rocket boys and I also had to double check the corn cob guys. There didn't seem to be many dwarves left either. That could have been chance of course but it could be a regional effect. The concept for the S17 dwarf originated in the UK in the mid '80s so is possibly more deeply culturally rooted here than elsewhere.

Edited by AmperZand

Would the vetinerian, the chef and the French guy with his dog easy to feel? In 1,5 week I will be able to visit the London Lego store, so would I like to buy some CMF's. Would it be weird to ask staff in helping feeling/recognising what is in the bags?

Just now, Fabulandlover said:

Would the vetinerian, the chef and the French guy with his dog easy to feel? In 1,5 week I will be able to visit the London Lego store, so would I like to buy some CMF's. Would it be weird to ask staff in helping feeling/recognising what is in the bags?

The vet is easy to identify from her hair while the Frenchman can be narrowed down from his beret and dog. I didn't come across any chefs, so don't know for sure but should be feelable from her tart and whisk.

It wouldn't be weird to ask the staff at the LEGO store for help identifying them. I've been helped to identify minifigures before at the White City/Shepherd's Bush store - even when I didn't want any help! How much help they can offer will depend on how busy they are. Weekday mornings are generally a good time to go. Expect to queue to enter the Leicester Square store; 30-45 minute waits aren't unusual. There are no waiting times at the two Westfield stores (White City/Shepherd's Bush and Stratford). The Westfields have another advantage if you're CMF hunting: they both have branches of WH Smith in the same shopping centre. So if you don't find the CMFs you want at the LEGO store, try Smith instead. CMFs are usually kept behind the till, but if you're an adult and you ask the staff nicely if you can stand next to the tills and feel the packets, they are happy to oblige.  

Just a word to the wise about feeling for the pastry chef, if you feel too hard you will smush her whisk.  I speak from experience and a bent whisk :-O

16 minutes ago, Willworkfortoys said:

Just a word to the wise about feeling for the pastry chef, if you feel too hard you will smush her whisk.  I speak from experience and a bent whisk :-O

I know that feel, brother.

2 hours ago, Fabulandlover said:

Both the Frenchmen I had in my hands were sussed out by their baguettes. The beret is also telling, but I'd go for the baguette. I want to say I identified my Vet by the rabbit, but the hair should be pretty easy to identify. Definitely the pie or whisk on the Chef, but the hair/hat combo is fairly obvious as well. From all I've heard, LEGO Store employees are usually up to bag feeling if things aren't busy.

I went on the Lego site last night and they have limited them to quantities of 5 each. I was really surprised by this. I don't remember them ever having such a low limit. 

13 hours ago, 22kane said:

Yup. How I kept from mixing them up is if you feel those bags extra carefully you can run your finger along the kernels and feel the distinct bumps. I got Rocket Boy today from my local Lego store(only one I was missing from yesterday) and it felt very similar. I had to confirm with the tip of the rocket and the flag pole. I actually thought I'd feel the O that makes the face hole but I couldn't through that packaging.

Edit: A tip for the nurse for those on the hunt today, the rabbit is going to be hard to feel for and you may confuse it for the phone. If you feel a small 1x1 piece that feels really weird almost like it's bent in a compact L shape(don't ask why I think it felt like that) or reminds you of a piece of the phone from 80s, that's the rabbit. Confirm with Vet's hair as it is distinctive. Feels almost like the shape the Corn Cob Guy's leaves make.

Edited by Tech Artist

For what it's worth, the Retro Space Hero is easy once you identify the crest of his helmet. And the Corn Cob Guy is easy to distinguish from the Rocket Boy if you feel the bumpy texture. And the Dance Instructor can't be mistaken with her huge frizzy hairpiece. I don't recall identifying any others, because I wasn't aiming to get any.

I made it to my local LBR store this morning the minute they opened, and me and three other guys helped each other find the ones we wanted. The staff pulled out two boxes and offered to get another if needed, but none of us needed them to.

It was nice to get everything I had hoped for all at once. In the past I have only been able to get a few at a time, after finding boxes already picked over.

I haven't checked them yet, but am pretty sure of my success rate:

4 Battle Dwarves, 3 Highwaymen, and 1 each of Baker, Butterfly Girl, Surfer, Elf, and Forgetful Retarius. I waffled on getting a Rocket boy, Retro Spaceman, and Veterinarian, but the Build-A-Minifig bar had a great selection so I put the money there instead.

I don't know why they are keeping up the secrecy. Cat is out of the bag. Lego even admitted he wasn't secret anymore on their Facebook page. It is not even a great character to keep secret.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:46 AM, obsidianheart said:

My usual Minifig-hunt TRU closed down. Didn't go in for the Batman CMF's, so I missed all the warnings. Whoops.

Mine too....were you my competition?  :laugh:      :look:

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Unfortunately, it seems a little broken... the links for the new characters are broken, and the corn cob guy is listed as "Corn Cub guy". :laugh:

Finally found these yesterday and was able to get the few that I wanted. The elf is even better in person than I had hoped.