Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17 Rumors and Discussion

Well, this was a nice surprise to come home to, series 17 at last revealed!

It's always so interesting to see everyone's reactions - the good, the bad, the ugly. It's always amusing to see someone hate on a particular minifigure, only to have someone come along two posts later saying it's the best thing ever. Different strokes ...

For me, the Circus Strongman, the Battle Dwarf and the Rocket Boy are my favorites. I think the Butterfly Girl is cute, and I love the animals with the Vet and the Frenchman. I'm also looking forward to the Gourmet Chef and the Elf Maiden. I'm not sure I like the Dance Instructor or the Surfer as they just seem redundant but the new surfboard and the dancer's ... unique ... hair make them interesting, at least. Looking forward to seeing the Highwayman ...

Try to think about this: imagine the face of the hot-dog vendor on corn cob suit guy, and the face of the corn cob suit guy on the body of the hot-dog vendor... It would be way better!

Whoa. The Rocket Suit boy, aside from being a kid, looks exactly the way I imagined it, even to little details such as little knobs and the space flag. But eh, it was not that hard to guess that, probably.

Dance Instructor looks pretty great, surprisingly, especially the hair.

It appears that Hot Dog Vendor has white and red checkered pants, and that'll be very useful to me.

Another surfer....that's needless...just, why?

Yuppie's cellphone is great, that's probably the best use of walkie talkie piece so far.

Now, a question for @Itaria No Shintaku: now that the game is over, can you tell us what language were the hints? Italian, Romanian, or something else? 

I am especially looking forward to the elf. She looks interesting so far, comes with a golden longsword, which is quite rare, and a shield. Just hope, the elf  will have pants instead of a sloped piece!

The surfer is boring. Although I like the board print. The baker comes with a nice pie and tool. The cup of the fast food vendor is great.... same goes for the vintage weightlifter. The bunny is cute. A musthave like the penguin. The French guy is a little bit blank... but ok. I love the glitter star on the flower girl's face and hair, as well, as the new multicolored butterfly wings! The Retiarius gladiator is pretty boring... I really don't like the Atlantis trident as a weapon. And he is missing his namegiving net. In Addition he does not come with any awesome or unique accessoiry like the Murmillo gladiator we got earlier, with an amazing helmet. The Cornguy looks funny, another addition to the Hot Dog and Banana guys. The retro space man looks a bit odd,  since I probably can not see enough details on his helmet. His retro gun is great however. Not a big fan of that retro dancing instructor... although she got a unique hair piece. I don't like the dwarf's beard. It is to short, and his legs are to little detailed. Like most small ones.  The Rocket kid looks cool. I think, another one to most have like the elf. And probably fairly easy to find thanks to his large costume. Probably only confusable with the Corn guy.

Edit: It appears, I forgot the guy with the mobilephone. Well boring. But the retro mobile phone looks great.

The collection is overall pretty solid. The only figure I absolutely do not like is the gladiator. He just doesn't come with anything special...

Edited by josykay

My thoughts

Corn Cob Suit Guy. The face is awful. Just awful. I love the corn cob mold. I like the long sleeves better than the short ones he had in the leaked pics. 8/10

Rocket Boy: Amazing. The Rocket suit could have been more colorful. Love the flag. This one will be the most popular S17 minifigure for sure! 9/10

Butterfly Suit Girl: It seems to be just a girl with butterfly wings, instead of the regular full costume. I have to say this is my least favorite animal costume so far 5/10

Gourmet Chef: She is ok I guess. 2 new molds is always good. The pie looks amazing. 7/10

Circus Strongman: Long overdue. He looks nice. I like the new weight piece. And the leopard pattern is exactly what I wanted. 8/10

Elf Maiden: She looks amazing, but I hoped she would be made to match the S3 Elf. Her color scheme looks interesting. I would have prefered a bow+arrow piece in a new tan color instead of a sword. 8/10

Battle Dwarf: I don't like this one... at all. That hair+beard combination looks.... not good. Which is bad since I had high expectations for this one. The molded short legs don't really work for him. 4/10

Retro Spaceman: I'm unsure about this one. His helmet and gun pieces are kinda cartoony. At least, they are trying something new here. New space gun piece! Finally! After all these years. 7/10

Yuppie: This one doesn't look like a CMF. I just find him to be boring and plain. Probably the worst one from this wave. I think the original Robin hairpiece would have been better, IMO. 2/10

Connoisseur: When I think on the stereotype of a frenchman, I think on a guy with a bottle of wine and a croissant/baguette. I don't really know what that dog is doing there. I mean, I like the dog, but it doesn't really fit with the minfigure. About the minifigure itself, I have to say I find the torso to be kinda plain. I would have prefered a new scarf piece and a bottle of wine instead of the new dog. I know, unpopular opinion here. 7/10

Dance Instructor: I like the hairpiece and how they made the bottle but that's it about her. I would have prefered girl with casual 80's clothes, because she looks way too similar to the S5 Fitness Instructor. Also, no boombox for a Dance Instructor? 6/10

Highwayman: ????? His silhouette looks good ?/10

Surfer: A blatant rehash from the Series 2 minifigure. That's bad, just bad. It's like the Cheerleaders thing all over again. I like the shark surfboard, but that's it about it. Also, I think that's a hairpiece that is debuting in the CMF, despite being quite old. Interesting. 2/10

Roman Gladiator: I know he is a Retiarius, so it's not a complete rehash from the S5 Gladiator, but still. It's like something we've already seen. There is no novelty here. Nice reuse of the trident piece tho. 6/10

Hot Dog Vendor: Nice tray piece! I nice suprise with this one overall, just like the S16 Hiker. I never got the Angry Brids bun piece, so getting it here is awesome!. Love his overall look. 8/10

Veterinarian: I like the bunny piece, but I find the Veterinarian to be kinda plain. She looks like a normal City character from a modular or something (expect for the face or course). She could have been better. 7/10

Overall I think this series isn't as good as Series 15 or Series 16, which were pretty good with the babies, the dress, the new legs, new shark/penguin arms etc.... 

Actually this series is kind of weak both by character selection (lots of rehashes in a single series) and also some of the designs are kinda plain like the Yuppie. 

Which makes me sad because I had high expectations for this series, considering is the only regular series this year. There is a lot of characters they haven't done but yet this series has a lot of rehashes :sadnew:

I haven't seen the Highwayman, but this series overall is like a 6/10 for me.

I really love this line and I hope there will be a Series 18 next year. There are rumors about Disney 2 and Batman Movie 2 for next year but I still have hope. :sadnew: 

Edited by Robert8

Here's more in-depth thoughts:

Connoisseur: The bulldog is cute. The rest of him is stereotypical French, and is overall passable.

Butterfly Suit Girl: Different than I expected, in a bad way. I was thinking the wings would resemble butterflies more realistically. Though I do like the new color (?) of stem.

Roman Gladiator: Thank you for the reference, Yooha! This figure is definitely a retiarius. Similar to a few "light fighters" in past series (Barbarian), this guy is largely unimpressive because he lacks armor, a helmet, a shield, or a new weapon type. But his hair and printing still make him interesting for me.

Corn Cob Suit Guy: Well, the face print is pretty unique. You can only do so many plain smiling faces for these costumes.

Retro Spaceman: The helmet and gun are amazing. I'm going to have to get a bunch of these!

Dance Instructor: I like her in the same way I like the Disco Diva; she just has so much personality! The hair makes it IMO, but the zebra-print tights and the water bottle make her even better.

Battle Dwarf: His hair makes him look like a fire dwarf, which army-building would be pretty nifty for.

Rocket Suit Guy: Cute. I feel like he's dressed that way for a science project! I also like the flag print, it would be great for a clubhouse-turned-spaceship...

Surfer: He's more-or-less a mix of the previous two Surfers. The red on his shoulder looks printed as opposed to dual-molded arms. The surfboard design is amazing, and IMO makes him worth having. He legs look plain, which is a shame. He could have some side-leg print like the Mariachi, but that seems like wishful thinking,..

Gourmet Chef: I was hoping for a baker/hat with female hair! My only criticism is that I wish the hat wasn't so lopsided, but that's a minor quibble. The whisk is an excellent new accessory. The strawberry cream pie is a nice new variety.

Hot Dog Vendor: He's a lot better than I expected. I love the new color of sausage and slushie!

Elf Maiden: Different than I expected, but in a good way. Another shield is always welcome. The sword is meh, and may be switched to a longbow when I get her.

Circus Strongman: Well within expectations. Though I can't tell - is the barbell one whole part?

Yuppie: His outfit is very Don Johnson from Miami Vice. At first I thought the phone was a whole new mold, but now it does look like its made up of multiple parts. Pretty Nifty.

Veterinarian: Cute bunny! Nice to get trendsetter hair in a new color. I also like her light aqua outfit. I do wish she came with some sort of medical device, a syringe being perhaps the most obvious and available choice. The Jungle Boy came with a knife and people thought he was going to SKIN the chimp...

Highwayman: His shoulders are really broad. What is he wearing? Some sort of trench coat?

11 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Also the 80's guy with the cell phone looks a lot like Jerry Seinfeld! 

Lol! What!?!

25 minutes ago, telaruhn said:

Yuppie: His outfit is very Don Johnson from Miami Vice. 

Nailed it. I've been waiting for someone to say it. I don't think many people on here are familiar with Miami Vice. If they were they would know right away.

44 minutes ago, josykay said:

I am especially looking forward to the elf. She looks interesting so far, comes with a golden longsword, wuich are quite rare, and a shield. Just hope, the will have pants instead of a sloped piece!

The elf has the slope piece instead of minifig legs.

10 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I think the Highwayman, if that's what he's supposed to be, is something akin to this:

Oh, yeah, the coats from the beginning of Brotherhood of the Wolf. Maybe I will pick one of those up, if they look like that.

I already typed this, but when I went to post, it said the site was under maintainence and I lost it all.

1. Corn Cob Suit Guy: Love him! The moustache reminds me of Don from Monsters University.
2. Rocket Boy: Just adorable! I am keen to see if the suit can be used as a building accent somehow
3. Butterfly Suit Girl: Love her, too. will get at least one of her.
4. Gourmet Chef: Like the new hat/hair piece, pie and whisk. She will be useful somewhere, I'm sure. Maybe in the Friends Bakery?
5. Circus Strongman: One i will pass on, at this stage.
6. Elf Maiden: Could be useful for parts. I like the look of her outfit, but will have to swap out her hair.
7. Battle Dwarf: One i will get for parts, specifically the mohawk and beard
8. Retro Spaceman: Might buy him for the raygun.
9. Yuppie: Could be useful somewhere.
10. Connoisseur: Will buy for the dog, not sure about the fig.
11. Dance Instructor: Worth it just for the terrifying hair!
12. Highwayman: ??? I am holding out hope, but have to see him first.
13. Surfer: Shark Suit Guy needs that board!
14. Roman Gladiator: Will likely buy for the face and hair.
15. Hot Dog Vendor: Love the new tray. Wish the plates seen in other sets had studs to keep things in place. Will get him for sure.
16. Veterinarian: Cute little bunny! Will go well with the Easter Vignettes. Multiple buys for sure. Hope to see the rabbit in other colors in the future.

3 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

I think he's ambiguous. He's got a cheesy expression, but it's not totally evil- he could just be determined. We'll have to wait for the bio.

According to CM4Sci, his actual name is Retro Space Hero

So, he is not evil. 

Other than that, Surfer is actually Surfer Boy, which is pretty much the same

So, the names are

Corn Cob Guy

Rocket Boy 

Butterfly Girl

Hot Dog Vendor

Elf Maiden

Roman Gladiator 

Battle Dwarf 

Circus Strongman

Highwayman 

Verterinarian 

Dance Instructor 

Surfer Boy 

Retro Space Hero

Yuppie 

Gourmet Chef

Connoisseur

Edited by Robert8

Thanks @Itaria No Shintaku for the game. It was good while it lasted.

The bunny seems to be inspired by the Duplo bunny that has been around since 2010. 

The retro space gun is so funky and antiquated. :laugh:

2 hours ago, 22kane said:

Nailed it. I've been waiting for someone to say it. I don't think many people on here are familiar with Miami Vice. If they were they would know right away.

Yup, that was my first thought as well. Already looking for a more Crockett-like hair piece and parts for Tubbs.

My faves / must haves (I tend to favor figs with vibrant color design):

- Dance / Aerobics Instructor

- Pretend Butterfly Girl 

- Rocket Boy

Average figures I will get for the accessories/parts:

-Frenchman (<3 that bulldog!)

-Veterinarian (Rabbit)

-Pastry Chef (Whisk and Pie with new strawberry print)

-Hot Dog Stand Guy (I hope he's on roller skates)

I'll probably pick up the Corn Suit guy although the face print is lame. Everything else I will pass on. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:56 PM, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Here they are, in random order.

1) V - VETERINARIO (Veterinarian)

2) EF - ELFO FEMMINA (Female Elf)

3) H - HIGHWAYMAN (No tranlastion in italian)

4) C - CUOCO (Chef)

5) A(C) ASSAGGIATORE/CONNOISSEUR 

6) GR - GLADIATORE ROMANO (Roman Gladiator)

7) AR - ASTRONAUTA RETRO' (Old Style Astronaut)

8) TiCdR - TIPO IN COSTUME DA RAZZO (Rocket Suit Guy)

9) Y - YUPPIE

10) S - SURFER

11) IdD - ISTRUTTRICE DI DANZA (Dance Instructor)

12) TiCdP - TIPO IN COSTUME DA PANNOCCHIA (Corn Cob Suit Guy)

Thanks

Now you know I wasn't cheating you.

2 hours ago, makoy said:

Thanks @Itaria No Shintaku for the game. It was good while it lasted.

The bunny seems to be inspired by the Duplo bunny that has been around since 2010. 

The retro space gun is so funky and antiquated. :laugh:

You're welcome. You don't know how MUCH I would have loved to be able to tell you all guys!

For me the French bulldog and the rabbit is a nice surprise, I will get as many as I can of those and 1 each of around 8 other figs :grin:

For every dog breed we get, we are getting closer to my favourite; the dachshund :wub: Maybe one is accompanying a German in series 18 :tongue:

5 hours ago, Giac88 said:

Try to think about this: imagine the face of the hot-dog vendor on corn cob suit guy, and the face of the corn cob suit guy on the body of the hot-dog vendor... It would be way better!

Most certainly!

I have never thought a facial print can ruin a whole cmf completely until I saw the awful face of the corn cob guy. 

The lego fan

5 hours ago, telaruhn said:

Veterinarian: Cute bunny! Nice to get trendsetter hair in a new color. I also like her light aqua outfit. I do wish she came with some sort of medical device, a syringe being perhaps the most obvious and available choice.

Keep in mind that sometimes some accessories are absent in the CGIs. In the S14 box, the Wacky Witch's broom was missing. As well as the Zombie Businessman's newspaper. So, there are still chances the vet will have the syringe.

Image result for lego series 14 box

I must admit thats a nice series!
Love all historical figures, but I hoped for orc...
My favorite? BULDOG(because frenchman itself is meh), Baker (Wakfu-tier <3) and of course the cutre Vet!

8 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Keep in mind that sometimes some accessories are absent in the CGIs... So, there are still chances the vet will have the syringe.

Give the vet a syringe and replace her head with the retro spaceman's and you have a vivisectionist! *huh*

My personal favorite so far is the Rocket Boy, when I first of of a "Rocket Suit Guy" I was imagining more of a Fourth of July bottle rocket style of costume, but I think he's perfect the way he is. :tongue:

As for the series as a whole, I do have to say I'm a little disappointed, especially after the incredible S16 which is one of the best series in my opinion. I agree that many of them seem too "plain" for collectible minifigure, most of the appeal for this series comes from the accessories which is what I'll be harvesting many of them for.

Is it possible, that the there is an exclusive highwayman with a different printing and colour? It would not be possible to tell them apart through the bags. This would just a lot more fair about the luckyness. Also this just an idea that came to my mind, I do not think that before series 20 we just get randomly a super rare extra fig.  For me it was my life's biggest fail, when i found the Mr Gold, but I did not know about it, becouse I thought "I have enough cilinders, so I do not need any more of them". Because of this I just have bad feelings about the exclusive minifigs.