BirdOPrey5

I ran out of places to put LEGO

I had been building (as an adult) for a couple years and finally ran out places to keep sets, of any size. I still have a handful of sets to build, some large like the Ferris Wheel and a modular, but there's just no where to put them. I'm tempted to start taking apart some older sets and selling them but garage sale season is coming to an end.

What do you do when you run out room?

Even with a room totally dedicated to LEGO, I find I do not have room to display all my sets either, so I bag them and put them back in the original box, or plastic bin, or put parts in my inventory for MOCs.

I really don't want to display all my sets anyway, because...

When too many things are special, nothing is special!

I only display a few special sets at a time, that way they are special.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

The bags and boxes are a good idea. I would also recommend to rotate sets every couple of months. So your place changes a bit every time and every set gets its moment to shine. Its also possibly a good opportunity to weed out the things you really want to display from the ones which aren't as great anymore compared to newer ones.

Yeah rotation is an healthy habbit, keep 2-3 big premium display cabinets ( mines are lit and made of glass ) and stuff the rest in regular cabinets or in the closet.

Most of my LEGO is parted out and in a ginormous bin that fits into my closet. I have like 15,000 bricks... only a little bit of stuff on my shelves. Couple of constraction figures, 42040 until quite recently... I have a lot of stuff that I built a couple of times and is just sitting in the box off in a corner somewhere. It is not sustainable in any way, shape, or form, but it seems to be currently doing the job.

Outside of a few still in the box, my sets are either on display or broken down into my collection. I have a few in ziploc bags for a future build...but they have been that way a long time and I honestly don't think I'll ever rebuild them, so if I take them apart, I likely will move on to something else. Once you take a few apart, you realize if you truly miss it (and thus should rebuild it and display it) or if you really care at all and and peacefully let it rest. I have a hard time letting go of things, so when I take something apart, I don't take it lightly. I'm goofy like that.

With that said, if you have storage space, break them down and hide them away until you get the urge to build again. If you even are out of storage space, then selling is a good idea. Craigslist might help or ebay of course (just watch out for the fees!).

I personally use the bags in a large plastic box as a storage method too. I'm living with fairly limited space so I just keep my modular buildings out and then my top 4-5 sets, usually star wars ships or or something that rotate occasionally. The rest go in the basement after being packed pretty carefully.

Have you tried displaying in different parts of your home? Hanging models off the ceiling? I have stuff upstairs and downstairs.

Yup, living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast room, stairwell, master bath, master bedroom, guest bedroom, LEGO Rooms 1 and 2, dining room, office, garage, second guest bedroom, third guest bedroom, utility room, laundry room, workshop and family room. Nothing hanging from our ceilings yet, so I guess that there is hope! (And none in attic or cars because it is too hot.)

You're not out of space until your ceiling is covered in baseplates and your neck aching from building upside down.

:laugh: :laugh:

But in seriousness I do agree with the folks who suggest bagging up the sets, putting them in inventory so you know what you have should you need it, and rotating a remaining "reasonable" number of display sets every couple months. If you do decide to sell some, Bricklink or eBay (or here in the Buy/Sell forum) will give you much better return than a garage sale.

The other alternative is to kill 2 birds with one stone: build an addition to your house out of Lego!

What do you do when you run out room?

I bought a bigger house, specifically to get lego/hobby space.

Yeah rotation is an healthy habbit, keep 2-3 big premium display cabinets ( mines are lit and made of glass ) and stuff the rest in regular cabinets or in the closet.

Rotation is a great idea, I guess my rotation is rebuilding sets as I currently do not have room to store assembled sets. I like building better than displaying anyway.

Have you tried displaying in different parts of your home? Hanging models off the ceiling? I have stuff upstairs and downstairs.

The displaying in other parts of the house would not work. I have one room and some additional storage space and that's it! I have been told that my LEGO will not migrate to other parts of the house, except for a few small Architecture sets in the office.

When too many things are special, nothing is special.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D