Murdoch17

Spirit of Legoredo streamlined train with 4-8-4 "Red Dragon" steam locomotive

The Spirit of Legoredo was my one of my first big trains, and was built in 2011 with a baggage car, three passenger coaches, and observation car. It looked good to me at first, in nearly all black with a red stripe at the base, but over the years was quietly forgotten about, as it was quite dull-looking to others and hard to take pictures of. Then I switched magnet types to the newer ones, and it became even harder show off as it didn't match the rest of my newer train fleet.

51134591649_bfcf4af072_z.jpg

That is, until I added a new locomotive to the head end and one more passenger car. (changing the colors up a bit from mainly black to mostly red doesn't hurt much either!)

51133995608_1aab064cdf_z.jpg

In reality, this 7-wide loco began life as a 2-8-4 Berkshire type built by @Plastic_Goth and purchased from Rebrickable a seen here. I upped the wheel count by another leading axle, (making it into a 4-8-4 Northern-type) and I then decided to imitate the famous South African Railways 'Red Devil' in color-scheme. The pistons are entirely my own work, as is the tender. More details can be seen here on the SAR Red Devil locomotive.

51134894145_54ea8c48da_z.jpg

The rear of the engine has a slightly changed coal bunker side walls compared to the 2-8-4 Berkshire MOD I posted earlier in the week.

47932338756_3960bb7776_z.jpg

The baggage car. These cars were all inspired by The Santa Fe Super Chief cars (10022 and 10025) and the Emerald Night's coach. (10194)

47932328647_ed6ff8edc9_z.jpg

The four streamlined coaches of the train. Each car on this train is 28 studs long, which is longer than my usual 24 studs long standard.

47932328682_37ebda442f_z.jpg

Observation car of the Spirit of Legoredo passenger train. The original way these cars were styled had them all black and with a red base stripe, but I have added dark bluish gray fluting and a lot more red to the mix to make them easier to take pictures of.

Comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome!

EDIT 4/23/21: Added a different steam loco to the fist post.

Edited by Murdoch17

The switch to dark grey radiator grilles really helped the ALCO's stand out a little more!

Thank you. I'm thinking about adding the windscreen from the horizon express as the windscreen for the cab loco.

62360pb001.png

What do you think? Would It look better or worse?

Edited by Murdoch17

(slight) Bump:

47730268692_da97928d20_z.jpg

Changed the loco, added real world pictures, and am working on getting the (new) steam loco built as I type. What do you guys think of it now?

(even more slight bumping)

47932331908_686719e4e9_z.jpg

I was supposed to finish this by the 15th of May, and it's the 25th now and I've just got the new pictures put up in the first post. (oh well, better late than never!) Anyway, now that the Garratt and it's accompanying train are officially done, all that's left to do is find a box big enough to carry this long loco within my storage system's limits...

Again, here I am with an new locomotive I will be ordering soon. Why, you ask? Because the old Garratt that led this train never fit in my boxes and broke-up majorly when I moved last year!

51133995608_1aab064cdf_z.jpg

In other news, this 7-wide loco began life as a 2-8-4 Berkshire type built by Plastic_Goth and purchased from Rebrickable a seen here. I upped the wheel count by another leading axle, (making it into a 4-8-4 Northern-type) and I then decided to imitate the famous South African Railways 'Red Devil' in color-scheme. The pistons are entirely my own work, as is the tender. More details can be seen here on the SAR Red Devil locomotive. I thought about adding smoke deflectors like on the Red Devil, but couldn't get them to look good.

51134894145_54ea8c48da_z.jpg

The rear of the engine has a slightly changed coal bunker side walls compared to the 2-8-4 Berkshire MOD I posted earlier in the week. The cab is exactly the same setup as the Polar Express loco.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17