Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaTheSwordsman

MOC: "Rahi Rex" (Working name)

I did a T. Rex-based theropod dinosaur Rahi a while back, but I guess I never got around to posting it. I photographed it today for posterity before I broke it up for parts.

rahi_rex__working_name__by_zeldatheswordsman-dahav4z.jpg

I designed it with the idea of fitting in with the original Rahi sets. It has a mask that can be knocked off, and a rubber band-powered attack function (pull the lever for an arm to wind up a slash, then release to strike). I'm going to see if I can recreate it in LDD or an LDraw client, with an actual planned color scheme and a Spinosaurus-based counterpart (to further match the Year 1 Rahi sets), and I hope to recreate it for real someday.

Edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman

Do you want to make it a weird 50's style monster? Or do you want to make it reasonably accurate, while still in the Bionicle G1 style? What sort of criticism I have to offer kind of depends on what your intentions with this build were/are.

Do you want to make it a weird 50's style monster? Or do you want to make it reasonably accurate, while still in the Bionicle G1 style? What sort of criticism I have to offer kind of depends on what your intentions with this build were/are.

The latter, I suppose. Well, realistic aside from the kangaroo posture.

Then I'd recommend that you change the direction the hands face. The hands should face inwards, not downwards. Hands facing downwards is called pronation, and only mammals can do that. Also, small, but not overstated wings would be a good idea, since most related dinosaurs had small wings. Something like this would be how I'd do it, given more-or-less the same parts (LDD doesn't have Gali's hooks, so I had to use a few parts to imitate them):

rahi_advice.png

Edited by DraikNova

Then I'd recommend that you change the direction the hands face. The hands should face inwards, not downwards. Hands facing downwards is called pronation, and only mammals can do that. Also, small, but not overstated wings would be a good idea, since most related dinosaurs had small wings. Something like this would be how I'd do it, given more-or-less the same parts (LDD doesn't have Gali's hooks, so I had to use a few parts to imitate them):

The problem with that is that it's important for play purposes that the claws are angled downward (so that they can swipe masks off). I will consider the wings, though.

If they're facing inwards, they can still smack masks off. The fact that they're higher off the ground would actually make that easier. If you're talking about actually smacking the masks off and catching them with its claws, does it really work that well? If so, I'm very impressed.

If they're facing inwards, they can still smack masks off. The fact that they're higher off the ground would actually make that easier. If you're talking about actually smacking the masks off and catching them with its claws, does it really work that well? If so, I'm very impressed.

Why would you be impressed? Gali's hook, being a great big hook, is particularly suited to snagging things and the Year 1 masks were specifically designed to not be too difficult to knock off. On that note, you're right that bonking the mask with the side of the hook (it's a downward slash) would also be as effective at knocking masks off. But I stand by the downward-facing claws for three reasons: One is that while dino hands can't be rotated downwards, they can still end up facing down like that via bending at the shoulder (the look of mine's arms due to the parts used notwithstanding). Second, the downward orientation works better for fighting with a hypothetical counterpart figure because of where the mask is located. Third... It is still meant to be a Year 1-style Bionicle creature and downward-facing claws is nothing compared to having treads instead of legs :-P

Speaking of, why does this thing have legs and not treads? =P

But seriously, this set does a good job of capturing that 2001 Rahi spirit. It could use a little beefing up around the body, and maybe a longer tail?