Sign in to follow this  
Pimbo

[MOC] Aquanauts Cargo Sub

If you're anything like me, you were probably struck with awe when the 1995 Lego catalogue hit the stores. The Aquazone theme was something different entirely, and the diorama pictured was totally awesome. A whole new world opened up for us legomaniacs, literally! Arguably the most realistic, and in my mind the coolest submarine was the cargo sub that came with the 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab.

Of course, at the time I never actually owned the set. But now I do, and after building the little sub I was a little disappointed, because it only looked good from several angles. From the pictures in the catalogue, I somehow imagined it being much, much beefier.

So I set about building an improved version, another vessel for my Aquazone project.

cargosub1_.jpg

It serves as a medium range cargo sub, features a long-range com antenna, storage bay that doubles as airlock, redundant air-supply systems for those extended trips, electromagnetic container hook-up crane, dual harpoon launchers, and ofcourse aquazone-mandatory magnet & gripper arms.

dsc_0112_.jpg

I tried to remain close to the design of the original 6195 sub. The yellow flags that probably functioned as hydroplanes were copied, as was the "pontoon" layout on the underside of the craft.

dsc_0115_.jpg

The main prop located higher up on the sub, two manuevering pump-jets on the sides, just like the original. The dark grey clips that hold the yellow flex hose have since been replaced by black ones.

dsc_0125_.jpg

Inside the cabin, a seat for the pilot with steering controls, and one for an engineer with joystick controls for the manipulator arms. Behind them, a torch and pire extinguisher, and the airlock door to the cargo bay.

dsc_0128_.jpg

The cabin will fit three minifigs comfortably, altough the rear crewman actually has to remain standing during the entire trip. Or, he could just go lie down in the spacious cargo hold.

dsc_0134_.jpg

The cargo bay, big enought to even carry one of the cargo containers used by my Aquanauts.

magnet_.jpg

Although, that's what the extending magnetic crane on the back is for.

dsc_0156_.jpg

Hydrogen refueling in progress. The container has a hydrolator crystal powered electrolysis device, which generates hydrogen from seawater. Hydrogen is then used in the subs fuel cells. Larger submarines actually have these devices built in. With the huge power durability of the crystals, these submarines would be analogue to present-day nuclear submarines. Ofcourse, radioactive isotopes and hydrocarbons for fuels are a thing of the past in the aquazone.

dsc_0161_.jpg

A side by side comparison of the two cargo subs. My version is just a couple studs longer but probably has four times the cargo capacity. Overall, I think it would be instantly recognisable for anyone who owns the 6195 set.

I did replace the neon orange lamps with regular lamps on the 6195 sub in the photo however.

dsc_0158_.jpg

More pics on the Brickshelf, and more Aquazone moc's coming in the future!

Thanks for viewing, and please consider building and posting more underwater ceations in the Action and Adventure forum!

Edited by Pimbo

:wub:

I really love your Aquazone revival builds. It is awesome that someone is keeping the yellow and trans-blue dream alive.

Another great MOC. :thumbup:

Looking good! The chunky profile of this build definitely makes one think "cargo carrier" at first glance. I also love the retractable jig for carrying additional containers as well. :)

Great looking sub. The only thing I might suggest is making the one area that is just yellow wall have a bit of greeble or something there. It stands out a bit as is and seems rather slab sided. The rest of the sub comes across as so purpose driven. Maybe even a window or something. But a very nice upgrade on the original.

Great looking sub. The only thing I might suggest is making the one area that is just yellow wall have a bit of greeble or something there. It stands out a bit as is and seems rather slab sided.

Well, I'm always tempted to overdo the greebling so I purposely left the sides of the cargohold plain. It's intended to be the cargo hold anyway, there's presumably not going to be much machinery in that part of the hull. That, and it's slightly more true to the original sub that way.

The only significant disadvantage is that slight colour differences in yellow Lego bricks will stand out more. It appears yellow colour consistency is suffering a lot from the new production methods, something that might become a problem in my larger Aquazone builds later on...

Cool. After so many years I stumbled upon this page and I lan to build it for 2021 :-) Probably nobody around has list of bricks at least if not instruction for this beauty... :D