Sign in to follow this  
Ashi Valkoinen

MOC - BKV Tatra T5C5 tram

Hi all MOCers,

I finished this MOC of Budapest tramway approx a year ago but I never had time to take some photos and show it to the community. So, here it is. The original tram was manufactured by CKD in Czechoslovakia for Budapest Transport company. A total of 322 cars were delivered between 1979 and 1984 (and all of them still running). In the first times they were used to go single (they have driver's cab only on one end so they needed loops on end stations), then with the growth of the number of passangers they started to operate them coupling two or three cars together. Now these trams run in line 1 and 14 with three cars and line 12,17,28,37,41,56,56A,59,59B,61 with two cars.

The LEGO-tram runs using its 2 9V train motors, each car has one motor. Other bogie is dummy, however it uses train wheels, because the standard wheel holder part is simply two high for this application. I'm proud on the pantograph design, but I know, some of the purist won't like the cut and curved 3 mm diameter hose. Unfortunately the clip with bar holder doesn't exist in red colour - a red pantograph could be autenthic, however due to weathering and coal-dust from upper part they are only red a couple of days after painting, then they become black.

0_img_5739_sm.png

img_5728_sm.png

img_5733_sm.png

img_5736_sm.png

Hope, you like it. Please leave your comments and critics here. :)

Really neat. These Trams will today be replaced with newer ones in countries where they were delivered. I really like the shapes of the MOC. It would be great if you could make a video of it... :)

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Nice. The overall shape is really well done.It also has a classic feel to it with those studs on top. Any particualr reason for that?
The reason is that putting tiles on the roof will make it exactly 1 plates higher then the model of the real thing needs. Since there is no 6×6 tile for car ends (the tile on the narrowing part can't hold anything), I needed plates there. Also it reminds me and exhibitions visitors, that it's LEGO. :)
Really neat. These Trams will today be replaced with newer ones in countries where they were delivered. I really like the shapes of the MOC. It would be great if you could make a video of it... :)Max
They supposed to run for at least 15-20 more years since the city of Budapest cannot afford to change all these trams for newer ones. For old-style trams you should visit East-Europe cities, this generation of trams is vanishing from west. I'll make a video of the model, but I'm currently working 200 km away for my LEGO-s so I need some time to do so. Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Donat,

I know that trams very well :) I'm now currently working on the articulated version K8D5 which was renovated and became new technics and modern doors. My is 6-wide because of all my trains, so I can not implement all the small details, but it looks also very good because of the simple box design... :)

Brno,_Komensk%C3%A9ho_n%C3%A1m%C4%9Bst%C3%AD,_Tatra_KT8D5N_%C4%8D._1729.jpg

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

We also have this type of tram in Miskolc (city northeastern part of Hungary), without low-floor middle section modification. As far as I know with the arrival of new Skoda low-floor trams the local transport company sold 12 of them to Praha, where they will be renovated and operated. Miskolc kept 6 of these for heritage tram runs.

Do you have photo of your model?