Sign in to follow this  
ejred

MOC: Privateer Oliver Cromwell

HMS Enterprize seemed lonely, so I decided to construct a little playmate, the privateer Oliver Cromwell from Boston:

29220549450_883ce39cca_c.jpg

Enterprize spent most of the US Revolutionary War patrolling the coasts and hunting for privateers, so this seemed like a good foil. The design I came up with is based on the model plans for "HMS Mediator" (a 1740s British coastal patrol cutter) which are widely available on the web, with an assist from the book Armed Virginia Sloop of 1768. I was also visually inspired by the USS Providence, of which there is a replica ship (currently in need of major repairs, sadly).

It's a 10-gun topsail-cutter rigged ship, roughly in the style of a Bermuda cutter. A very simple and straightforward ship, although with beautiful rakish lines.There were a number of Continental 10-gun privateer cutters to choose from historically, and I thought Oliver Cromwell had the most interesting name.

From tip-to-tip the Oliver Cromwell is 37 inches long, 27 inches high and 13 inches wide. But a whole lot of that is bowsprit. As you can see it is vastly smaller than Enterprise (probably about 1/7 the tonnage and broadside weight). But it does pack on a lot of sail for its size!

I hope you like it.

29429776691_cce7860f9a_c.jpg

28887209703_d85007043c_c.jpg

29464814425_1675f7e3b2_c.jpg

29430451576_ba90f419b3_c.jpg

28893364563_4d2a4a474c_c.jpg

29504331575_84193a66ae_c.jpg

28881174964_49e441fa60_c.jpg

Click for full album on Flickr

Edited by ejred

You seem to be a heroic history fan just as I am. I like projects dedicated to historic jubilees and with a story behind them. That's a super detailed creation needing patience and good skills. Try to upload it in LEGO ideas.

You seem to be a heroic history fan just as I am. I like projects dedicated to historic jubilees and with a story behind them. That's a super detailed creation needing patience and good skills. Try to upload it in LEGO ideas.

Thanks! Yes, my personal LEGO interest and motivation takes me in the direction of realistic historical stuff (ships most of all). Probably betrays a lack of imagination :)

Speaking of historical events, one of the most well documented events in the record of HMS Enterprize was an attack by Spanish fireships off Gibraltar in 1780. Enterprize was on watch, spotted the ships coming in, raised the alarm, and dispatched her crew to board and steer one of them away. I worked up a small mod of the Oliver Cromwell to show that incident. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures next week

Edited by ejred

Thanks! Yes, my personal LEGO interest and motivation takes me in the direction of realistic historical stuff (ships most of all). Probably betrays a lack of imagination :)

Speaking of historical events, one of the most well documented events in the record of HMS Enterprize was an attack by Spanish fireships off Gibraltar in 1780. Enterprize was on watch, spotted the ships coming in, raised the alarm, and dispatched her crew to board and steer one of them away. I worked up a small mod of the Oliver Cromwell to show that incident. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures next week

Yes, I know this historic event and I will be glad to see your new creation. You like ships please support my Grey Skull Fregate in LEGO ideas. And the most impressive gun for me is Sweden Royal flagship WASA. I saw its replica at LEGO exhibition in London perhapd in 2007.

Excellent ! Just excellent !

I like the attention you put on sails and rigging.

The hull of course is great too.

Well, as I already said, excellent ship !

Here are the modifications to make the Oliver Cromwell into a fireship. The year is 1780 and the Spanish are raiding the British base at Gibraltar. Luckily HMS Enterprize is on patrol and ready to respond. Now that the ship is alight, the Spanish crew is trying to get off, but heavy seas are making it difficult.

29492550216_a92fa8bdcb_c.jpg

Spanish Fireship

29528629925_92a03aeb5f_c.jpg

Spanish Fireship

29494429736_f343de4c79_c.jpg

Spanish Fireship

29531445475_a1d1cdfe08_c.jpg

Spanish Fireship vs. HMS Enterprize

I designed the center section of the deck to be removable so I could put in the flame sections. There are several light bricks inside, which is nice but hard to tell in the pictures...

This is what I think I will display at BrickCon 2016 in Seattle at the end of the month pir_laugh2.gif

I hope you like it!