mortesv

[MOC] UCS CR-90 Corellian Corvette – Blockade Runner (Tantive IV)

You are correct :) As stated in the post all my ships are built at the same scale. This means they look absolute great together :) I will get back to you regarding that picture ;)

I am doing up your Nebulon at the moment and then it will be the GR-75 ships and then this! I NEED MORE SPACE AT HOME! :)

I am doing up your Nebulon at the moment and then it will be the GR-75 ships and then this! I NEED MORE SPACE AT HOME! :)

You should see my shelves - they are packed! :D

Another amazing design! I would be curious to see this next to the UCS to see the differences. Would also love me some LDD as I cannot justify purchasing he UCS set at the current price. Plus yours looks better anyway!

Another stunning model for your Rebel fleet, mortesv. And...

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Another amazing design! I would be curious to see this next to the UCS to see the differences. Would also love me some LDD as I cannot justify purchasing he UCS set at the current price. Plus yours looks better anyway!

Thank you :) I will see what I can do about the LDD, but I can't promise anything at the current :)

morstev, I was working in a Tantive some weeks ago but I didn't finished it (those 11 rear tubes...). I think mine was really close to the scale of yours.

Well, the point is that I built this cone for the cockpit:

http://i.imgur.com/UwYgLWg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SDmTIlZ.jpg

Please, feel free to use it if you want. I really want to see them in your ship.

That is an interesting approach to the cockpit. Are the slope bricks attached in the end or how does it work?

Another stunning model for your Rebel fleet, mortesv. And...

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thank you! And thank you for the kind words :)

I think the translucent stands are becoming one of my trademarks, but don't worry, the model is quite stable :) I could probably remove two or more of the smaller legs on the engine section, but I see no need to tempt fate ;)

http://i.imgur.com/QloqvIL.jpg

I used it for the Falcon cockpit sometime ago: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=99645

I was thinking how the slopes would be attached in the other end. I guess it would require an axle all the way through the cockpit holding both halves?

I think the viewport could be done by changing one of the slope to three 1x1 bricks.

Edited by mortesv

Brilliant model and packed with lovely detailing. Has enough greebling and detailing without losing the overall smoothness. Particularly a fan of the launched escape pods, a very clever little reference built in.

After the impressive Nebulon B, now you continue making my eyes shine with this ship.

You have know always putting at the good places a lot of details in not so big models.

Please continue the fleet !

At Avell, thank you :) I have also created a GR-75 Transport in the same scale as the rest of the ships :)

Very nice! The cockpit is probably the only place that isn't pure satisfaction but I really don't know how to do it better :/ such lego unfriendly shape, especially in this scale. Tbh I don't like Hachiroku's proposed alternative any better.

Lovely rendition, I really like how you make sacrifices in detail to maintain scale and proportion. I suggest that you join flickr and start putting your work in there, it will be a hit

Wow this has to be one of the best and most detailed & accurate LEGO Star Wars models i've seen, this is just brilliant !! the way you managed to get the proportions and even the tiniest of details of the Studio Model in yours amazes me.

Seriously fantastic job !!

Thanks for the comments guys, you are too kind :)

Lovely rendition, I really like how you make sacrifices in detail to maintain scale and proportion. I suggest that you join flickr and start putting your work in there, it will be a hit

I do have a flickr account but I have been unable to access it for three years. I have tried everything but Yahoo won't let login ;/

By the way, don't you mean, 'don't make sacrifises in detail'? Otherwise I'd be happy to hear any details I might have missed. :)

Edited by mortesv

Thanks for the comments guys, you are too kind :)

I do have a flickr account but I have been unable to access it for three years. I have tried everything but Yahoo won't let login ;/

By the way, don't you mean, 'don't make sacrifises in detail'? Otherwise I'd be happy to hear any details I might have missed. :)

Reading that again I don't think what I wrote reflected what I meant. Personally, I have a habit of choosing to get 'local' details on a model right which often comes at the expense of general scale and proportion. When I wrote that i think I was commenting on the 4 fin-struts on the middle of the fuselage. I mean, what you've done is about as close I can imagine getting so it wasn't really appropriate. But I can imagine being in your position and agonising over how to get a continuous shape like the studio model instead of biting the bullet and doing something like you did, you know what I mean ?

But I can imagine being in your position and agonising over how to get a continuous shape like the studio model instead of biting the bullet and doing something like you did, you know what I mean ?

I think I do :) I do my best not to compromise, but at the end of the day a lego model is an abstraction for something "real" - and the challenge for me is trying to achieve precision with Lego bricks a the medium :)

The four fins were actually the part of the model where I used most time per brick, deciding on the solution. The official TLG models have largely ignored this detail and just put a tail fin here, which is obviously not the correct detail or shape. I think it could be conveyed using a 12x3 wedge plate and hinges, but when I tried it messed up the other structures too much, and the wedge plate itself did not look particularly good - too thick, and too many studs compared to the rest of the ship :)

I general my goal is to create the most accurate models, both in terms of proportions and detail, that is why I the use so much time studying the studio models. There is often details on my models that can be hard or almost impossible to see - unless you you take the model apart. On the corvette there is for example piping and unique detailing on the middle engine even though I could have saved a few bricks there because your can't actually see it :)

Edited by mortesv

I've finally got the cash to buy the parts I need for your Neb B and GR-75. Would happily wait a little longer before tackling Bricklink if it means I could buy the parts for this too.

I have the UCS Tantive IV but it doesn't look a patch on this. Excellent work. Looking forward to seeing a fleet shot please!

I've finally got the cash to buy the parts I need for your Neb B and GR-75. Would happily wait a little longer before tackling Bricklink if it means I could buy the parts for this too.

I have the UCS Tantive IV but it doesn't look a patch on this. Excellent work. Looking forward to seeing a fleet shot please!

Thank you - I have the UCS version myself :)

It will be a while before I will finish the LDD for this - I am not even sure it will be possible :) So don't hold your BL order back for the other ships :)

Engines Top View. The 11 Girodyne Ter58 Ion Turbine Engines in all their glory! Here you can see all the details and cables on the engines. I considered using rigid cables, but I had to heat them up to get the proper shape. The cables were also too thick. However, I found that by placing a 1x2 bracket in the side panels I could place levers on top of them. The levers convey thin cables running from the sides of the engine to its core.

Just a thought. Did you think about using this part x169 (Utensil Stretcher Holder Flexible) for the engine piping? It doesn't come in White but does come Black, LBG, Old light grey Dark Red, and Reddish-Brown. Perhaps part 93225 (Utensil Spray Gun, which only comes in black) could be useful.

Edited by ecmo47

Just a thought. Did you think about using this part x169 (Utensil Stretcher Holder Flexible) for the engine piping? It doesn't come in White but does come Black, LBG, Old light grey Dark Red, and Reddish-Brown. Perhaps part 93225 (Utensil Spray Gun, which only comes in black) could be useful.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I did look at the x169, it is as thick as a rigid cable and also a bit too long. I am pretty happy with the levers though :)