Introduction

Hello, I present to you, my new, first fully-finished MOC and entry to TC10:

The 'pneumatic press'!

29343416892_85f51e223f_z.jpg

About

I wanted to participate in the contest, and it should not be a problem for me since i have 42043 with all it's pneumatics. I didn't want however to create another vehicle. I really like the Hydraulic press channel so i decided to make a hydraulic press, well a pneumatic press to be precise.

So here it is. I am creating the discussion topic after the build but that is perfectly fine because i have progress pictures which i will show you.

If you have suggestions for mods etc. you are free to suggest. There are for sure a few flaws which can be made better.

so it has a few functions

- You can move the platform to position your part (2 yellow knob gears). You can move it for-/backwards and sideways.

- The yellow blast shield can be opened with a small pneumatic cilinder.

- There is a big cilinder for pressing.

All controls can be found at the front. For safety there is a blast shield, just like in real presses.

Building progress

I realised that i had to make progress pictures when i was here:

29343447072_5a6ba41525.jpg29343434072_fbdf6b008b.jpg

I had then made the positioning and i added a pneumatic pump.

I made the platform such that it can handle a lot of weight, well it remains ABS plastic but i made sure to build it such that it doesnt fall apart when there's weight on the platform.

As said, you can move the white platform sideways and for/backwards. This is done with gear racks. one knob gear is moving with the platform (in one direction). I can make something so that it doesnt move but that would make my MOC even uglier and i don't think it is a real problem.

My plan was first to put the pump in the top, so that the tubes dont have to go up the pump. Later, i realised that you need a control panel and that the switches have to be at the bottom. So i added the pneumatic pump at the bottom. I didn't like an exposed pump so i used a beam and a lever mechanism which you will see in a video further down, OR in the final entry video.

My first function is the blast shield. It works pretty nice and the blast shield doesnt look that bad. What i don't like is that the supports stick out. The blast shield cant clap up 90 degrees, but i don't think that is needed and it would make it a lot more complicated.

29451742665_dc6fcf3cf3.jpg29451742255_1da4af9023.jpg

then i built the cilinder for pressing. It only has one attachment point so i had to make a frame such that it can't swing.

29451725785_476052652e_z.jpg

the 4l axles, next to the pins, will later be replaced with 7l axles but you will see later on.

This will be attached to the frame

29371518581_f6fdec1911_z.jpg29451719545_8af563bc9e_z.jpg

This cilinder also has to be connected to the switches and when all the tubing is done, the underside looks like this

29417203006_0dc2992eb5_z.jpg

you can actually see that i had too little space for all the tubes so i gave him 4 feet (the LBG rims).

then i need to do panels to work it off. You can see that i used some frames and beams to make the top part stiffer.

between the black panels, come the grey panels which can fold out

28827472304_42d7db37e3_z.jpg29343420422_94332e2f5f_z.jpg29371506741_728d44091d_z.jpg

On top of that goes a cover which wont be attached with pins. This is so you can easliy see through and repair/change something.

29371508501_ff986dc515_z.jpg29417194716_dcb8eb9c0a_z.jpg29343417752_1d2b5fa0fa_z.jpg

Now it is done, finished.

here is one more picture

29451713315_e81fda7e6c_z.jpg

The way the black panels are attached is really ugly.

Then i built in in LDD, this way i can see exactly how it is made and where it is the weakest. file can be found at the bottom.

While building i changed the model a bit. I replaced 2l pins with 3l pins. Red pins with axle connectors for regular pins, and added extra pins for more firmness.

i also changed the way the black pannels are attached and i added a some beams. On the cover i added 2 red 5l beams so you can pick it up more easily.

29343416892_85f51e223f_z.jpg

the final version is the one, made in LDD. Of course there are no pneumatics but it is pretty clear where they have to come. It is very good visible on the pictures. I couldnt find a few parts in LDD so i used something else.

Updates/Changes

Let me know what you think. What are good and what are bad things about it. Feel free to suggest changes because a MOC is never perfect.

I haven't done measurements like part count weight, volume etc. but if you want to i can do that.

does anybody know when i can enter my moc in the entry topic?

Upgrade 1: post #13

I am not gonne upgrade the lxf file, maybe later.

Here is the lxf file: pneumapress.lxf

Edited by roppie11

is there a video? also FINALLY, something to deal with all those pesty micro-figures, they're so dangerous they keep attacking me...

Can it crush a diamond, ball bearing, or fold a piece a paper more then 7 times?

I love that channel, dont forget to smush a paydoe thing at the end of the video.

or fold a piece a paper more then 7 times?

That folding video was one of the most surprising ones :D

Anyway, realistically speaking, this is a nice idea but a little bit boring creation, unless it can actually press something. In my opinion, motor compressor and more than one cylinder for pressing could help a lot :) Make it resemble the pressing power, just like the real press does :D

I really like the idea, but Krisandkris12 is right - make it more powerful. I think that system brick-built (with combination with technic bricks) worktable plate would sustain much more pressure than panels.

Looking forward for new progress!

Cool idea! Looks good didnt think of something like this for TC10. I think I read the entry topic will open week or two before the close of contest.

ok, thanks

is there a video? also FINALLY, something to deal with all those pesty micro-figures, they're so dangerous they keep attacking me...

I have to make one for the entry but i don't know when i will do that.

NIce and pretty simple. Good looking for such a thing.

thank you :sweet:

That folding video was one of the most surprising ones :D

Anyway, realistically speaking, this is a nice idea but a little bit boring creation, unless it can actually press something. In my opinion, motor compressor and more than one cylinder for pressing could help a lot :) Make it resemble the pressing power, just like the real press does :D

I really like the idea, but Krisandkris12 is right - make it more powerful. I think that system brick-built (with combination with technic bricks) worktable plate would sustain much more pressure than panels.

Looking forward for new progress!

yeah, you are right. IT is actually a little boring. I will stick to my handpump however, because otherwise i will have add a lot more and it's not really needed. It is a good idea actually to use 2 cylinders. Maybe i'll do that, and uhh the paper didn't explode under my press unfortunatly. The panels are the weakest points indeed, so if i add another cylinder i will make a sturdier pressing table. I also made a pressing tool but now there is hardly any space to put something under it so i will probably also make it a bit higher.

I will post it when i have done upgrades

I do think it would be best to stick with a handpump, as In my experience I've found human power much better than any motor. plus hands dont snap as easily as legos under immense force, if you do try to really crush anything.

Nice build, I was thinking along the same lines after abandoning my trailer project.

I suppose there's nothing stopping me from doing my version, it is actually quite different from yours.

Have you tried dealing with something dangerous that may attack at any time yet? Would love to see it in action crushing a peanut or something. Model clay might be hard to clean off the press...

You really need some sort of attachment and at least 2 cylinders to destroy something. I like how you done the blast shield

this is my last holiday day so i spend my time upgrading my moc

I added a second cilinder. more power is needed :devil: For that the whole top had to be taken apart. I then replaced the pressing table with beams and i'm doing the panels right now. I Also made a 'pressing tool' and i set the cilinders a bit higher. In v1.0 there was hardly any space under the cilinder and a pressing tool was not really possible. I will see what i can press and i will include it in the entry video. I'm not gonna use clay or anything else that makes my press very dirty.

i first teared it down a bit

29366205612_662ddef26d.jpg

then make the holder for the cillinder and add it to the first one.(copied it from the 1st one)

29366205672_97ed8f1649.jpg

I attached it at the height that the cilinders just touched when maximum extended. This way, a pressing tool is no problem, space enough

29366205732_c429675982.jpg

add panels, make a press tool

28851072124_6849713931.jpg

top view

29366791102_3643deef3b.jpg

the side panel still folds open, but now the other way. it was easier to make it this way and at the top there are no parts sticking out

29366791162_9dcca54204.jpg

just a quick picture

28851075874_5e76b453e0.jpg

so this is the update i will write a short story in the first post

edit:

and why did the title change?

first it was [TC10]Pneumatic Press - Discussion topic

now the last bit is missing

Edited by roppie11

This is so very funny.... I promise I had the exact same idea from watching the hydraulic press channel. Not for the contest....just to make in general. Although the press itself was going to be in Technic I would have made the back ground in regular system bricks to give it the appearance of an actual shop. Also, I was not even going to use pneumatics. Rather, four large LA in a square like shape so it would actually have some crushing power. Obviously, it could not crush anything of substance, but some things might be fun. LIttle grapes, play-doh, etc...

One hindrance though... is the lack of travel in the LA and also pneumatics, I will be interested in how you plan to over come it......Others have commented on the lack of power. That is one obstacle, but the other is the limited range of the pneumatic cylinders. Either way, what you crush will have to be small. But..... perhaps placing four cylinders, kinda in the position of the four corners of a square, will give it perhaps some power.....

This is so very funny.... I promise I had the exact same idea from watching the hydraulic press channel. Not for the contest....just to make in general. Although the press itself was going to be in Technic I would have made the back ground in regular system bricks to give it the appearance of an actual shop. Also, I was not even going to use pneumatics. Rather, four large LA in a square like shape so it would actually have some crushing power. Obviously, it could not crush anything of substance, but some things might be fun. LIttle grapes, play-doh, etc...

One hindrance though... is the lack of travel in the LA and also pneumatics, I will be interested in how you plan to over come it......Others have commented on the lack of power. That is one obstacle, but the other is the limited range of the pneumatic cylinders. Either way, what you crush will have to be small. But..... perhaps placing four cylinders, kinda in the position of the four corners of a square, will give it perhaps some power.....

I don't assume the travel as a problem. I have 4,5studs free between pressing table and press tool. If it is much bigger it would just look unrealistic.

4LA's have indeed a lot of power but i don't want to break my lego. It would be really awesome to see what you can make. :wink:

Great idea! It is time now to crush megablocks or chinese knock-offs. :classic:

hello people,

I just finished the video about the press and it is up on youtube

i am now updating the lxf file so that is coming also.

and it is reallly cool, if you put a link (From youtube) it automatically changes to the embedded video which is really cool:thumbup:

edit: and then i mean while typing the post and not after posting it

Edited by roppie11
message unclear

Welcome to the pneumatic press channel, today we're going to crush some ABS.

Very nice build, my vote goes here for originality.

Cheers,

Let's Build

5 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Welcome to the pneumatic press channel, today we're going to crush some ABS.

Very nice build, my vote goes here for originality.

Cheers,

Let's Build

thank you really much for that,:blush:  but keep in mind that you have to vote for multiple participants.