Gonkius

[MOC] Star Trek Enterprise NCC-1701-D

Thank you for the feedback. You're right, even better would probably be to shorten/lower the neck to get the saucer and nacelles more close in height. (and turn the nacelles in the right direction with the red lights (Bussard collectors) pointing forward...)

Aww, that is cute!

I was just about to write about the nacelles being the wrong way around :) Have you considered another colour for the deflector - blue or brown for example?

New version looks even better! How did you get the engines and deflector to light up? Looks beautiful :)

Thanks for your comments.

The picture is a composite of four pictures:

- Photograph of the model with a soft camera flash.

- Photograph without flash but with a computer screen as background to get reflections in the body.

- Photograph with UV-LEDs as only light source. Trans-Medium Blue and Trans-Neon Orange pieces will glow nicely in UV light.

- Background picture of the planet.

See picture below with all four used photographs before editing.

The spaceship was cut out in each picture and placed in separate layers in PhotoShop and finally the background picture (And text + stars) was added (And everything rotated 180° of course).

Composite_zpsufkg4kco.jpg

Nice photoshopping. And with the passes - this is kind of similar to how they did the model shots in the TNG show !

Thanks! Photographing was actually inspired from the film Gravity where they used a similar technique to get realistic illumination and reflections in the faces and helmets of the actors, using a pre-visualisation on a large screen showing, mostly, the earth.

Very nice Galaxy Class miniature!

It's good to see some Star Trek things around here. Makes this place feel even more pleasant. :blush:

Unlike some others here, i think the Nacelles are allright. They are the right size and perfect positioned. I wouldn't know how to do it different.

The only thing i would change would be the saucer section, by making it more elliptical (somehow :look: ). But on the other side, building the saucer from parts would take away the clean look of the dish parts (idk how they are called).

Another thing, have you considered to add some impulse drives (red transparent pieces) on the saucer? I can see it would be problematic to add it on the neck, so having the sucer ones activated could be a alternative imho.

-cheers!

PS: Sorry for the late reply, i hope its ok to post here anyways.

Thanks for the feedback! I'd say the position of the nacells are quite as they should when looking on Enterprise-D. All other versions of Enterprise however have the nacells higher. Small impulse drives can be nice touch.

Hopefully I'll go on for a much larger model, this was done as a "feasibility study" to learn the shapes better. Elliptical saucer for one thing, couldn't do this at this scale. Plan to use some of the techniques I used on the Tintin rocket to get the smooth surfaces needed.