BobThePom

Dol Guldur [MOC]

A very long time ago (2012 I think :tongue: ) I posted a WIP for Dol Guldur, at that time none of the Hobbit films had come out and I was basing my build of Dol Guldur on some rough artist sketches. When the films came out I drastically changed the design of my LEGO version to be more accurate to them. This is the finished product, it took about 5 years of work (on and off) but I am very happy with the result. Enjoy!

cover.jpg

I have attempted to re-enact the scenes from the Hobbit films I hope you can recognise them :grin:

0.1.jpg

Radagast enters Dol Guldur

0.2.jpg

But he is being watched!

0.3.jpg

The Witch King of Angmar hides behind an old statue.

0.4.jpg

Ready to ambush Radagast!

0.5.jpg

After a brief fight Radagast gets away.

1.jpg

"But Gandalf, what if it's a trap?"

3.jpg

5.jpg

"It is undoubtedly a trap"

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Gandalf enters the courtyard where Radagast was attacked.

10.jpg

But there is nothing for him there so he moves further in.

11.jpg

Gandalf sees an old stone statue carrying an orb, a palantir?

12.jpg

He moves past the statue.

14.jpg

He proceeds to climb up some old steps onto a rickety platform.

15.jpg

He steps out onto a broken bridge to face...

16.jpg

The Enemy!

17.jpg

Gandalf faces Sauron in a battle of willpower atop the broken bridge.

18.jpg

20.jpg

But he is no match for the power of Sauron and he is locked in a spiked cage suspended high above the castle.

21.jpg

From his new perch Gandalf can see masses of Gundabad Orcs gathering for war.

22.jpg

These Orcs are led by none other than Azog himself.

23.jpg

Much later, once the orcs have left the Castle, a large lone guard pulls Gandalf's cage down and then attempts to kill him.

24.jpg

The Orc is stopped by the arrival of Galadriel.

25.jpg

Galadriel attempts to fight off the forces of Sauron but she is soon over whelmed.

27.jpg

She reaches out for Gandalf's aid but there is nothing he can do.

28.jpg

Suddenly Elrond and Saruman arrive to rescue Galadriel and Gandalf

29.jpg

The Nazgul close in on the White Council.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

"Are you in need of assistance, my Lady?"

33.jpg

34.jpg

Radagast arrives to take Gandalf to safety.

35.jpg

Galadriel advances on Sauron.

36.jpg

A shapeless form appears, finally solidifying into an all powerful, flaming eye with Sauron at it's centre.

37.jpg

Galadriel uses her Phial that contains the Light of the Star of Earendil.

38.jpg

With Sauron gone, the White Council look on. "Leave Sauron to me".

It was very hard to capture the entirety of this build in one shot. It's very long at 96 studs by 32 studs in length and width. The height proved to be a problem too with the tallest spire being about 30 bricks high.

43.jpg

42.jpg

41.jpg

46.jpg

I had a lot of fun designing this little pool, the broken torch was a last minute addition :grin:

44.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

I was particularly pleased with the way the cage turned out.

49.jpg

51.jpg

The amount of bricks used in this build was immense, I think the final total was somewhere close to two thousand. It took numerous bricklink orders for rock parts (I think I bought one guys entire store of DBG cheese slopes :grin: ).

I hope you all enjoyed looking at it as much as I did building it :sweet:

Now I have to think about how to use all these DBG slopes and rock pieces :grin::tongue:

Bob

Wow! This looks amazing! You really hit the nail on its head with recreating the gloomy, crumbly atmosphere of the castle If TLG ever happens to make a UCS version of the place, they just have to copy your MOC! It looks perfect and the layout you have chosen, makes it obviously also pretty easy to pose and play with minifigs :classic::thumbup:

Edited by Littleworlds

Looking good! I think a photo where you can see the whole MOC rather than just a small part or a silhouette would be really worth adding.

Wow! This looks amazing! You really hit the nail on its head with recreating the gloomy, crumbly atmosphere of the castle If TLG ever happens to make a UCS version of the place, they just have to copy your MOC! It looks perfect and the layout you have chosen, makes it obviously also pretty easy to pose and play with minifigs :classic::thumbup:

Making it easy to access with Minifigs was a key thing I wanted to do with this MOC, I also had a lot of fun making the broken walls! Thank you! :sweet:

Looking good! I think a photo where you can see the whole MOC rather than just a small part or a silhouette would be really worth adding.

Unfortunately, as I said, it was really difficult to photograph the whole thing due to it being so long :sceptic: . I'm glad you like it though!

Love it! I like the entrance especially.

The entrance was particularly fun to design and photograph, I have about 30 different photos of Gandalf walking through the door! :grin:

Excellent recreation of Dol Guldur :thumbup: The various scenes are all represented well :classic:

Thank you! It was a lot of fun to design! :sweet: