Bregir

[COR-FB] In the Captain's Cabin

Following builds:

Pieces of a Puzzle (Ayrlego)

Arriving at Mooreton Bay (Bregir)

Undercover for the Final Piece (Bregir)

In the cabin of the HMHV Athena, Montoya and Cooke are discussing the recent batch of mail.

29232345632_917c8cf6ba_c.jpg

C: "Say, Doctor, do you remember Thomas Ferguson?"

M: "An old shipmate of yours, if I am not mistaken? Some story with a fortress…"

C: "Quite so - he has finally gotten a command, albeit a temporary one. With New Terra opening up, the Admiralty is recommissioning a number of old vessels, and Tom writes me that he has received orders to assume command of the horrible old Ironsides. Apparently she is being despatched for the colonies."

M: "Horrible old Ironsides?"

C: "Well, that's what she's known as in the service. You see, she is possibly the smallest, and most definitely the oldest, postship in the service."

M: "Postship? Will she be delivering mail, you think?"

C: "Now Doctor… A postship is a ship above twenty guns, but not quite frigate size, commanded by a POST-captain."

M: "Hmm, I doubt anyone ever explained me that before…"

C: "Not above a dozen times…"

M: "Perhaps I should attend better…"

C: "Perhaps… She is built like a brick wall, scantlings like a 74. Finest oak. Unfortunately, she handles like one too."

M: "Scantlings?"

C: "Her sides, Isaac. She started her career as a galleon, back before they razeed her in '04. She is clad in thick oaken timber, and when she was up against a Carnian 18-pounder privateer in '99, not a single shot pierced her! That's how she got her name."

M: "18 pounds seems like very little for a privateer…"

C shakes his head to himself.

M: "Pray, what do you mean "razeed", my friend?"

C: "Cutting down her upper works - the fore- and aft-castle. Brings down her centre of gravity, making her stiffer and more stable. Her rigging is rather old-fashioned, though."

M: "Old-fashioned?"

C: "No topgallants, lateen on the mizzen. Rather under-rigged, really. Slow in anything but a strong gale and useless on a bowline…"

M: "Fascinating, I am sure. Will we have the pleasure of meeting him, you think?"

C: "Only time will show…"

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a small freebuild to propel the story and drop a few hints as to things to come. :pir-wink:

C&C welcome.

Edited by Bregir

A nice interior build, and fun dialog! (And I feel like I've encountered the good doctor before. Hmmm.) I'm definitely looking forward to seeing "Horrible Old Ironsides"!

Very neat build, I espegially like the furniture!

Looking forward to that Old Ironsides! (Nice conversation btw :wink: )

Montoya's dialogue cracks me up! I'm really looking forward to where this is going! Hope to have my corresponding first part of this story posted by Wednesday!

I like the scene and all its details. The conversation cracked me up, and I look forward to the continuation of the story. My only critique is the front of the desk. I was not sure what you were attempting to portray with the brick holes facing outward, and it was a bit distracting to me. It just looked so unrefined in an otherwise very polished build. Maybe I am just missing the design. Keep up the great work.

A nice interior build, and fun dialog! (And I feel like I've encountered the good doctor before. Hmmm.) I'm definitely looking forward to seeing "Horrible Old Ironsides"!

Thanks, Captain!

And yes, if you have read certain litterature or watched a certain movie, you might recognise him somewhat! ;)

I hope the Ironsides will not dissapoint - apart from sails she is actually done, but I need a scene finished before I can show her off. I personally like how she turned out so far.

Very neat build, I espegially like the furniture!

Looking forward to that Old Ironsides! (Nice conversation btw default_blink.gif )

Glad you like it, Titus - and will soonTM be able to show you the Ironsides in full.

Happy you enjoyed the conversation! :D

Montoya's dialogue cracks me up! I'm really looking forward to where this is going! Hope to have my corresponding first part of this story posted by Wednesday!

Happy to have been cracking you up! :P

I like the scene and all its details. The conversation cracked me up, and I look forward to the continuation of the story. My only critique is the front of the desk. I was not sure what you were attempting to portray with the brick holes facing outward, and it was a bit distracting to me. It just looked so unrefined in an otherwise very polished build. Maybe I am just missing the design. Keep up the great work.

Hope not to dissappoint with the coming story! Your point about the table is very good - It was never really meant to be shown from the backside and I should have found some way of closing it up. Thanks for the feedback!

Next build in the story: (By Ayrlego)

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139983entry2652210

:iamded_lol: Oh Maturin Montoya never fails to amuse me. I'm just glad the dear captain is so patient with him.

Overall I like the build. The furniture is simple and the cabin is cramped, just how I would expect a small sloop's cabin to appear.

Maturin and Cooke are discussing the recent batch of mail.

I believe you have mistaken the esteemed Dr. Montoya for another gentlemanpirate_laugh2.gif.