main.jpg

Hello,

I’s been a long time ago Since I presented something here so it’s time to change it :classic:

Few months ago there were a competition on our local LugPol forum where the goal was to remake a Technic set made before 2000 into studless model. I decided to take on workshop 8858 Rebel Wrecker. Beside my creation there were other two Rebels submitted.

You can check all participants here: http://www.lugpol.pl...pic.php?t=26707

After all my remake of 8858 won in the category of more than 200, but less than 500 pieces.

I have to say that it is not so easy to recreate a set into studless version. I told myself to keep all important points where things like suspension are mounded in the same place as in original set. So almost all dimensions stayed unchanged (e.g wheelbase, hood length, etc.)

dsc_0345.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0347.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0349.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0350.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0352.jpg_thumb.jpg

The main difference between original and my version is width. Old sets had even number of studs in wide, nowadays it’s an odd number. So my Rebel is 1 stud wider. When it comes to overall appearance I tried to make it as close as possible to the original but stay into modern style using liftarms instead of plates and bricks.

Of course I had to change some kind of colours so for example Light Gray is replaced by LBG.

dsc_0362.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0364.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0365.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0360.jpg_thumb.jpg

One thing that I keep unchanged is front steering system. Yes, the small gear rack is present but for example 8048 which was released few years ago still has the same solution so I think that it’s fine to use it as well.

dsc_0355.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0356.jpg_thumb.jpg

Of course functionality of the model is the same as studfull, so working V6 engine and self locking rear winch is present.

dsc_0354.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0358.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0359.jpg_thumb.jpg

I am quite happy about this model. I made everything as I wanted, everything works, it took a first place so what to want more :wink:

dsc_0366.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc_0367.jpg_thumb.jpg

Below there is a video, and link to BS gallery.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=561705

Greetings,

Patrick.

I like that you have managed to keep the bulky, chunky feel of the original studded model :thumbup:

I am quite happy about this model. I made everything as I wanted, everything works, it took a first place so what to want more :wink:

And rightfully so. This studless version is perfect. Great job and congrats on winning. This was and is one of my favorite models so I love seeing it in studless.

Looks like the original, I love those tires on it!

One small thing: I was confused by the video image, я is a Russian letter which has nothing to do with r

Edited by LXF

One small thing: I was confused by the video image, я is a Russian letter which has nothing to do with r

But you see... the car is a REBEL, so he just turns that R around and doesn't care what the russians think of that! :laugh:

Edited by Appie

It's nice to hear guys that you liked it.

@LXF - I tried to emphasize the world Rebel, and as all of us know that Russians are some kind of rebels :tongue: The "Kremlin" font done it's job :wink:

Edited by Waler

Great work! I can see it must have been tricky. I love the rebel wrecker, one of the best sets of all time.

One of my favourite studfull model. Great re-creation in studless, I like it!

PS. R is quite often substituted by Я to give name a bit of Russian spirit.

I was voting for this one in our local challenge, good that it won. Also I have noticed something interesting. Have you noticed as well that old sets with V6 engine on front have the block put in almost as in real life, as in the middle of the front suspension? Take close look on this one an compare for example with 42029... Where the engine is pushed back into the chassis. In the modern models I think only 9395 with it V4 has similar configuration. What do you think? Why it is done like that in nowadays?

I love these rebuilds, and for some reason Lego would release this, I would buy it for sure. Good photos as well! :thumbup:

Checked the competition, there is a lot good MOCs, was not easy to win.

Regading the 42029: it has a different suspension setup, which needs more place. I think that's all, not a trend.

agrof but look at 42037 the R4 is almost as central engine :)

Edited by AOW

Very good. I really like it.

This is an excellent re-creation of a studded model in studless. :thumbup:

September if you google formula offroad picures, than you will see, that it is like that. :wink:

edit: AOW, editing is cheating, You destroy the fun. :tongue:

Edited by agrof

There are lots of variations for positioning engine in real cars.

agrof but look at 42037 the R4 is almost as central engine :)
Check Lotus 7.
edit: AOW, editing is cheating, You destroy the fun. :tongue:
Use quotes, these aren't getting changed once when original post is edited.