gvo25

42053 - Volvo EW160 - Mods and Improvements

Hello everybody,

I didn't notice yet any MOD page of the Volvo EW160 excavator. I find this a really good set and as I'm an excavator lover, I couldn't resist to add a few modifications.

I have already done 2- 3 and I have others in my mind.

Here are the first ones

1-20160831_125131_001.jpg

I took away the cab elevating mechanism. I find the excavator better proportioned this way. It looks a lot more like the real machine and IMHO also a lot nicer. The cab was in the original model too much forward and got in the way of good playability. I still have to get rid of the grey beam behind the cab.

1-20160831_125222.jpg

I also put a swivel and turning mechanism on the grab, which also looks better and approaches the looks of the real machine.

The mods I'm planning is to arrange the hoses on the boom and add rigid hoses.

I was waiting for some one to start the topic, your mods look good so far, other mod that i would like to do is to put double tires in the axles, like in the real machine, but i am not sure of which tires.

hello all,

Here are some new modifications to the Volvo EW160. I added tracks, a new stick and a bucket. It's still a work in progres as I'm waiting for the long pneumatic cylinders. I believe it should now be called Volvo EC160:wink:

Here are the photos:

1-20161106_165245.jpg

1-20161106_165440.jpg

1-20161106_165604.jpg

1-20161106_165632.jpg

I personnaly like my new stick (if I say so myself) I also changed the range of motion of the boom, it goes now a bit higher, and not so deep.

Edited by gvo25

Hi all

I'm pretty new to the LEGO Community and built my first small mods today on 42053!

First, I didn't like the double bucket mechanics, especially because it often closes asynmetrically, so I modded it to single bucket, it can surely be done in a more stable manner, but it looks pretty slick like that, I didn't want to build it 5 studs wide.
Second, the orange railings were too large, fat and ugly in my opinion, so I exchanged most of it with yellow and also reduced the size.

All in all, I really like the set, awesome optics and nice playability :D

42053-single.jpg

42053-railings.jpg

I like the single bucket mod by eteokles, I've been trying to figure out how to mod a single bucket onto it when I get the time, but a bucket from the BWE rather than the type the Volvo comes with.

I made my own gripper bucket as well, didn't like the no turning thing. Sadly I did not have that main piece you used in yours. Will post pic tomorrow if anyone's interested.

bucket.jpg

Sadly the hoses are a not really flexible enough. Also don't have any pneumatic parts at home atm so can't extend the hoses

Edited by JLee1608
Picture

I've made some mods too. I've copied the swivel mechanism from gvo25 for the grabber, though I made it a stud smaller bij using a 2L beam instead of a 3L beam.

I've removed the little half pins that block the steering, I've had to move the black cross beam because the wheels hit that when steering sharply now.

Finally, I've added an air tank. Since I didn't add any of the compressor / electrical stuff, there was space a plenty.

Love this highly customizable set!

Todo: add a pneumatic cylinder for raising the cab.

I've been busy too modding this set.

For instance I added:
- a 3-piece boom
- a bucket
- a new grapple
- auxillary pneumatic connectors
- grey rims
- an extra hitch
- and some more small mods

2kf34m.jpg

aaxhkp.jpg

eg8to4.jpg

13zbcro.jpg

33em04h.jpg

2d94ml5.jpg

If you have any tips or questions please let me know.

I've begun to redesign the front dozer blade, whose arm rotates over-center to lock into place. Like @Sariel, I've found it can collapse under weight (for me, even under the pressure of cycling the hand pump!).

I'll share my design here if it works out. Has anyone else tried to mod this? I'd like to stay as close to the real-life EW160E as I can…

@LegoGabri

Could you post a close-up photo of the double cylinders of the main boom? I'm interested to aply this solution as well.

Could you fit everything without modifying the position of the cab?

Many thanks

Hello All,

Another small upgrade, I have installed a pneumatic blade. It's operated with the manual blue pump.

20170320_102525.jpg

Hello All,

At the beginning I want say hello to this community as I am new user and happy owner of this set.

I have one question in regards to this set. 

Does anyone have got a chance to add engine in order to drive this set remotely?

Thank you.

...can someone put those tires on original set to see how it looks like PLEASE. I was looking to bus this set :wub: but wondering how does it look with linked tires

THANK YOU

On 4 April, 2017 at 5:57 PM, I_Igor said:

...can someone put those tires on original set to see how it looks like PLEASE. I was looking to bus this set :wub: but wondering how does it look with linked tires

THANK YOU

They actually look better Than those balloon tires but they are a bit too small but they are okay. Sadly I have no pics because I just built the b model for the first time about 2 days ago.

On ‎10‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 5:15 AM, gvo25 said:

@LegoGabri

Could you post a close-up photo of the double cylinders of the main boom? I'm interested to aply this solution as well.

Could you fit everything without modifying the position of the cab?

Many thanks

@gvo25Sorry for the late reaction, I will post pictures when I have the time. Yes, I did have to move the cab obe stud to the left. But I'm still thinking of a way to remove the lifting mechanism.

If you have any question, let me know.

18 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

They actually look better Than those balloon tires but they are a bit too small but they are okay. Sadly I have no pics because I just built the b model for the first time about 2 days ago.

I was thinking to put either those or those (but double) wheels on this model which should suit as prototype for future excavator MOC...

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I was thinking to put either those or those (but double) wheels on this model which should suit as prototype for future excavator MOC...

If your building in the same scale as the 42053 try using the 56145 tires if you are using the 32020 try to build a bit bigger. I tried building a c model excavator with the arocs but it sucked so I scrapped it But I'm 100% sure you can do better

2 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

If your building in the same scale as the 42053 try using the 56145 tires if you are using the 32020 try to build a bit bigger. I tried building a c model excavator with the arocs but it sucked so I scrapped it But I'm 100% sure you can do better

Currently I work on this

http://bricksafe.com/pages/igor.ipsa/trucks/mercedes-benz/unimog-u423

...so future plan is excavator, but probably a 1:18 model - bigger, so it would be heavily modified 42053 set if I may say so :wink:

Hi,

as you can see I´m new here so I hope I´m doing right with the guidelines. ;)

Now back to topic some weeks ago I started to mod the 42053.

I´m pretty happy how it turned out and hope you like it.58f9cebca17df_P1060474(Small).JPG.40fecaae06132706a900e5ccb522798c.JPG

Here a list what I modded:

- pressure tank between the wheels

- pneumatic front shield (controlled by switch above power switch)

- aditionall pneumatic connection for the trailer (controlled by switch in the undercariage)

- a 3 side tipper to transport the other atatchments ( tipping mechanism by efferman)

- 3 intercangeable boom atatchments

- L motor + 2nd small pneumatic pump

- completely new boom design:

- 3 pice boom

- double cylinder in the first stage 

- new single cylinder 

- new normal cylinder to controll the bucket (normal cylinder because I ran out of big ones ;) )

- new lengths for the single abstracts to come closer to the original

- new and in my eyes way better tubing ;)

Because I can´t upload more than one usable picture here I uploaded the others on flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTuTJPM

Edited by vale

Welcome to Eurobricks @vale,

what a fantastic first post. Your mods look very good. Besides the nice trailer, you modified excavator play in the same league as the 8455. The different attachements are great.

I really like the 3 stage city boom.

PS: try to deeplink/embed the pictures with the "Insert image from URL" function.