Murdoch17

EP-2 "Bipolar" electric locomotive - Milwaukee Road - real world MOC

Confession: I have been wanting to build a Bipolar for a long time, about six years. Longer than the Daylight or my Aerotrain models have been around, even on my computer, and longer than most of my 80+ strong fleet. Now, after years of waiting and thinking, designing and re-developing: it is here! But first, here is what it's based on:

The Real life inspiration:

43524681014_eacdbff33f_z.jpg

The LEGO model of this engine is sitting on the side of the real locomotive.

Real life inspiration:

From 1919 to 1962, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (known as the Milwaukee Road) had these five General Electric-made behemoths pulling trains under the wires on two sections on the Pacific Extension, pulling trains part-way on their journey to Seattle or Chicago.  They were called the Bipolar's for each of the locomotive's 12 motors had only two field poles, mounted directly to the locomotive frame beside the axle. The motor armature was mounted directly on the axle, providing an entirely gear-less design.

These locos were so powerful they could out-pull modern steam locos, and what used to take two steamers took just one bipolar. However, after a disastrous 1953 rebuilding by the railroad's company shops (who had no clue how to work on a electric loco) the engines were prone to failures and even fire. And so, in 1962, four of them were scrapped with the lone survivor, numbered E-2, towed to the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis Missouri, where it has sat silent even since.

29227019277_ff2a109ddf_z.jpg

LEGO Model:

This model was inspired by a 1999 version of the engine built by user legosteveb. I recreated the actual orange, red and black color scheme used on the loco when it emerged from that 1953 modernization program, but it was too expensive. So, after looking around I decided to use the paint scheme the Milwaukee Road used when the engine was donated. This yellow and red scheme was inspired by the Union Pacific and was adopted very late in the engine's career (mid-50's).

42356166550_1ec7a8c1bc_z.jpg

As both sides are the same except for the headlamp color, I decided to take only one picture of the ends. As you may have noticed, the LEGO version has two "floating" third axle bogies that were inspired by Anthony Sava that allow the engine to float over switches and curves easily. The engine runs beautifully over the little bit of track I have access to, but due to my lack of a layout and tables at the moment, (I've been forced to pack it all up for now) I couldn't get any pictures of that taken.

22968082293_3611dcb316_z.jpg

Here is Steve's original model from 1999.

Comments, Questions and complaints welcome!

EDIT 8/17/18:

42207025640_369e1f5f8c_z.jpg

Well, it's taken about six years of planning, designing, and redesigning, but it's finally on it's way to the real world. The Milwaukee Road "BiPolar" electric locomotive has been ordered as of the 12th in the form as shown. (minus the blue letter overlay I added in MS Paint, of course!)

Keep your eyes peeled for real life pictures!

EDIT 8/20/18: Real world pictures added!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 8/31/2016 at 1:38 PM, mostlytechnic said:

Very cool model! I may have to build one of them myself...

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you! I've just updated the ldd file and pictures in the main post as the orange was too expensive and yellow looks just as good. I hope you like it!

38165860826_88bdca1066_z.jpg

I just added revised the ldd file and digital screenshots to the main post. Keep your eyes peeled for real life pictures (coming soon)!

Well, it's taken about six or more years of planning, designing, and redesigning, but the Bipolar is finally on it's way to the real world!

42207025640_369e1f5f8c_z.jpg

The Milwaukee Road "BiPolar" electric locomotive has been ordered as of the 12th in the form as shown. (minus the blue letter overlay I added in MS Paint, of course.)

30228240468_652544bd6d_z.jpg

However, the accompanying passenger cars will have to wait for another day as there is only so much money I can spend at one time!

The final parts for the locomotive should be here by Monday, and the real world pictures "should" be up by the end of next week at best. As my picture taking setup is disassembled at the moment, it will probably be a bit longer for those pictures to be taken.

Edited by Murdoch17

1 hour ago, BurkusCircus said:

In the mean time, you have a stunning freight engine! What system is it powered with?

Thank you @BurkusCircus! This engine is not powered at all, though the center bogie can be easily switched out with a 9v motor if need be.

29227019277_ff2a109ddf_z.jpg

Well, it's taken quite a while (six years, but who's counting?), but the Bipolar is done in real bricks.

43259319475_c1e6490899_z.jpg

...and here it is with all my other Museum of Transportation locomotives that I've made so far.

43524681014_eacdbff33f_z.jpg

I know it's not much of a big deal, but here is the real locomotive again, and if you look very close, you'll see my Lego model sitting on the edge of the real deal. After all, it's not every day you see the Lego model meet it's real cousin in the same photo. :wink: