Sign in to follow this  
jschn04

Narrow Winding Road

Hi all - This is Jonathan Schneider and I am new here. I am an AFOL from Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Since getting back into Lego a few months ago, I have seen a lot of different techniques for building roads. One that I have not seen is a paved narrow winding road that ascends / descends. Here is an example

driving%20on%20windy%20road.jpg.838x0_q67_crop-smart.jpg

Has anyone developed or heard of a technique for this style road?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by jschn04

Welcome, Jonathan! :classic:

Personally, I have never seen a (modern) road like this done in Lego either. I think one of the reasons for is is because there are hardly any tiles with curved edges; they are either round or rectangular. If you go for studs-on-the-side construction (for achieving the smooth surface), you need to make some sort of mosaic if you want the edges of the road to be smooth, but with that, it will be hardly possible to create the striping patterns. In other words: doing one corner is quite a major challenge, so imagine doing four! :wacko:

But, if you can accept the fact that your edges are not smooth, and/or you cover them with something like vegetation, then it should be a whole lot more doable. :classic:

Edit: Don't even get me started on ascending/descending roads... :hmpf:

Edited by Exetrius

You might be able to get away with taking a mosaic approach and using white tiles as your edging, yell in the middle. Going to be a toughy no matter what.

I haven't seen such a road in Lego, yet I did see one that ascends and decends.

Though, the 'winding' effect can be created by covering up a brick build road with tiles/plates, similar to this moc;

17168442198_e778dfca22.jpg

Carripana by César Soares, on Flickr.

You could build a lot of short wedge shaped sections in SNOT and put them together at different angles to create both the turns and slopes. On the underside you can mix in some of those 1x2 bricks with a technic pin in them, and then mount them on some sort of technic structure. But it might look really blocky and would certainly be a nightmare to figure out how to mount them in alignment.

Going with the wedge idea you could also just mix in some 1x1 plate with clip, or other types of clip elements, and then connect all the sections with flex tubes. That would be much easier to mount it on.