Here is my idea for this comp. My excavator a going to be as small as I can get it with all functions inside of it so no external hose and pump. I'm not going to base it on a particular model but just get it to resemble something like one in general.

I've started with the boom and dipper arm so here is my first concept, maybe it will stay like it but its early stages. Its 2 studs wide. The biggest challenge is the 3 studs of extension from the small cylinders and getting them to achieve more than that.

Boom and dipper arm raised

29279561845_61545268a9.jpg

Boom and dipper arm reached down

29279563545_34e72ef63a.jpg

And Bucket to body

29171257772_d837f9ce00.jpg

All thoughts welcome.

Great little arm.

Did you test the bottom cylinder, will it have enough power to lift the whole arm?

It has 2 cylinders, its a bit hard to see the second one but yes it has enough power and dosent require much air to operate them.

The arm looks great with those small cylinders, I guess routing the tubes will be a pain

will it have a compressor, or be manual? looks cool so far, I love all the small entries going on!

Really nice start. I hope you can get it to look nice with all the tubing. After all, you need six already :)

How are the gray 1 x 2 beams braced that hold the top of the single yellow cylinder that bends the arm?

Thanks for yor replies. MRP_ its will have a manual pump inside of it operated by a wheel or a lever.

Erik the 2 1x2 beams arnt fixed, there is a little movement and its a problem which is rattling my head. not looking forward to adding all the 8 hoses II feel it may get ugly.

With tubing it won't look so good anymore, but let's hope, that we are wrong.

A small update. Roughed in the hoses and switches. Decided to use a lever operated pump. So far the arm is not over crowded with hoses.

29269561312_e297e241c3_z.jpg

29090081130_aa58826c52_z.jpg

28756303363_644ba8c719_z.jpg

29090084020_4e737a717f_z.jpg

Edited by jono.rocky

I'll look forward to building this one when it's done:) it looks amazing right now. And does the arm still have full flexibility with the hoses on it when powered by the pneumatics, the hoses don't bind the arm right?

Edited by andrewganschow

A little more progress last night. I got help from Emmett and Volvo's loader bucket to show its size. I'm not happy with the height of the arm but it could dig a big hole. The thin 1x7 lift arms on the arm will eventually be replaced with yellow ones.

Going to leave the hoses on this side exposed.

29304908410_12be615d04.jpg

The pump is hand operated by simply pushing the lever forwards and backwards

29304906800_3e0c3f242a.jpg

29514568221_7288101391.jpg

Tires are from the set 42043 crane truck

28971854283_52a0ebf9ed.jpg

Not a great height reach but it works

28971859763_70cc50e1f8.jpg

Inside the Volvo bucket

29561090726_193687fe1f.jpg

29485310632_aa0e32a134.jpg

Better than I expected, you can even change the scale doing it bigger and can build more details or hide tubes, I think the bucket size allow you to do it. I just realized the cylinders are the problem... what is the size of the 42055 buckets?

Edited by jorgeopesi

Better than I expected, you can even change the scale doing it bigger and can build more details or hide tubes, I think the bucket size allow you to do it. I just realized the cylinders are the problem... what is the size of the 42055 buckets?

I have thought about making it bigger but decided to keep it as small as possible but still have working functions. I'm not sure about the size of those buckets and unfortunately i don't have any to try so this bucket is the smallest usable one I have.

This is a very cute excavator, it amazing how you fit all the tubing in there!