Porsche 914

Oooww, browsing the internet (again) looking for Porsche 914’s made of LEGO I came to this forum. Some time ago I posted my MOC of a Porsche 914 on another forum but that doesn’t seem to be so active as this one.

Too late for the contest – why didn’t I find this forum earlier – but none the less my first entry to this forum, my Porsche 914, scale 1:8. It’s made around a load carrying monocoque body as the real one which allowed me to built all variants of the 914: the 914/4, the 914-6 but also the 914-8 with dual headlights. I’ve encluded a picture of the 914-8 displayed on the front hood of an actual ’74 914/4.

29213755656_b1c4120dd5_z.jpg

Since the old posting I’ve made some refinements to the model; it includes:

• Trailing arm suspension in the rear
  • Porsche suspension in the front mis-using an axle as a torsion spring
  • Working headlights, single or dual
  • Working Ackermann steering
  • A working gearbox, but with only 2 gear ratios
  • Fully adjustable seats
  • An engine bay, accessible through the glove box, with a flat 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine
  • And next to the engine lid, the doors, and both trunk lids can be opened.
  • A Triad exhaust on the 4 and 6 cylinder engine

I hope you like the model, looking forward for your comments and/or replies,

Kind regards,

Wilbert

29169150881_2b98d2a4ef_b.jpg

914-8 on the front hood of a ’74 Porsche 914 2.0

29247881225_23d40cc226_b.jpg

The model is built using parts from mine (old, with studs) and new, my son's stud-less, LEGO technic.

29169131181_ef2b0ecbdb_b.jpg

On the inside of the open door an armrest and mock window crack are shown. My son pointed out that there should be a mirror on the drivers' side door. It's in the picture but wasn't on the old MOC, the first try.

29247864385_78438fce52_b.jpgA view on the engine through the "glove box". Some details of the cockpit are also visible.

29139568312_f8a212c39e_b.jpg

On this CAD picture, the suspension and transmission are shown in detail. It's a picture of the "old" MOC; in the new the cooling air guides on top of the engine have been changed a little.

29247868465_243c6f8912_b.jpg

The headlights can be raised and lowered by turning a knob on the center console that came with the appearance group package. Note: this is a picture of a 914/4 with bumpers in the same colour as the body. I didn’t have the parts to make a bumper with auxiliary headlights so no picture of that variant. But I’ve made that variant in CAD and put it on the last 914 variant, the 914 GT.

29247869185_36f6da97fa_b.jpg

Here you can see the 914-6 parked next to my son's 911 GT3 RS to show more or less the accuracy of the scale.

Welcome to Eurobricks!

It looks amazing , the pop-up headlights look very cute!

I really like it! The bodywork looks very interesting. Such combination of technic and studded plates is rarely seen. The better impression it makes :)

Welcome to eurobricks!

Really nice MOC, Its nice to see something that mixes the old and new style of building.

Amazing car and nice details (windshield, front and rear look), but I think it's too narrow or too long :sceptic:

Edited by Jim
Removed content

I really like this car, WPE. I don't know much about the real Porsche 914, but your car in itself looks great. I like the studded finishings at the bumpers and the various other places. I also like the pop-up headlights (I like the single ones best). By the way, good use of the 3 x 5 ellipse liftarm at the front indicators. I'm surprised the mix of studs and beams works so well. Imagine what would happen if you were to cover up the studs with some tiles and curved slopes (the 1x10 curved slope in particular comes to mind).

The only thing I'm not fond of is the wheel arches. They look quite thin in comparison. But I don't see an easy way to fix that. Also, instead of U-joints you might want to us egray angle connectors at the top of the windscreen and behind the "rollbar". I'm not fond of using axles for springs, because I'd be afraid of damaging the axle. But I understand you're working with a limited parts inventory :)

All in all: great first post here on EB - welcome and I hope to see more of you in the future!

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the nice replies :classic: :classic: :classic: .

I'm not that experienced as you all so your comments are really appreciated. It took me quite a long time and a lot of tries. As for the dimensions, the car could (should) be made 1 stud wider. I tried to get a realistic drivetrain in so the rear overhang is also a stud off. Keeping the ratios of front and rear trunk more or less intact, I therefore increased the front overhang also. I did however try to mask the lack of width of the body by putting the fenders outward a little. And I'm also not satisfied with these ugly fenders.

I don't have a lot of tiles but when I can find some time, I'll start tinkering with the CAD model to try to "cover" the studs. I started using lift arms making the trunk lids but that didn't work out; I do like the idea of using tiles.

And as for this forum: wow! Never seen so many beautiful models. I'm quite attracted to Porsche and I've seen quite some amazing models entered into the contest.

Thanks again; now I'll try to convince my son to let me keep his bricks a little longer :wink: .

P.S. please don't worry about mis-using the axles as torsional springs: by removing a pin, I can relax them and get all torsional tension out. It was just a try to get a realistic suspension as possible.

Amazing car and nice details (windshield, front and rear look), but I think it's too narrow or too long :sceptic:

Please create a topic for your own MOC, instead of Hijacking the topic. Thanks.

Please create a topic for your own MOC, instead of Hijacking the topic. Thanks.

Sorry, I just want to share, maybe I should give a link to topic instead posting photos. Sorry again :(