Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] The King's Harbour Slipway

29213224426_a0a654f261_c.jpg

The new colonies are screaming for vessels, specifically for coastal transport, fishing, and whaling.

28626314023_c70558fa3b_c.jpg

As not near enough vessels reach the colonies from the old world, entrepreneurial craftsmen in New Terra has set up makeshift shipyards to meet demand. The easiest way to build ships with limited set ups is by constructing them on a slipway and, when the hull is finished, let the whole vessel slide down the rails into the water.

29168464541_72d523f134_c.jpg

This particular slipway is built in King's Harbour and has quickly become known for producing seaworthy and utilitarian (although somewhat broad-bottomed and clumsy) vessel of high quality. 29213225676_4e98be15cc_c.jpg

These vessels are affectionately known as the King's Harbour Tubs.

29168464961_63c400d849_c.jpg

A take on a medium factory for King's Harbour - I have been planning a full-size shipyard with drydocks for a while, but felt like starting out with something simpler, reflecting the pioneering spirit of New Terra.

I expect to outfit the hull later for licensing. Ever since thisbuild, I have wanted to try a brick built hull with that sort of inner skeleton, and I find it worked out well. (Although more expert builders can probably create more organic shapes...)

C&C is, as always, welcome and encouraged.

Thanks for looking!

pirate_wubnew.gif I'm not quite sure why, but I really do like this build a lot - while the landscape is a tad plain, the colors on it are excellent, and your water always manages to look superb! pir_laugh2.gif Great start to a ship there as well, I'm just a little bit past that with one of my own about that size now (or have been for a while default_laugh2.gif). You should really do an interior to it though! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif

Excellent build. I was planning something along the same scale, and now I have to go back and rethink it because you've created something much better than I was coming up with! I don't think the landscape is too plain at all. The only things I would want to see that are missing are more minifigs at work and perhaps more scaffolding. But I love the brick-built hull, and you've done a great job of illustrating a slipway of this scale. And the name is perfect. Well done!

Very good! (I am waiting for someone to build a ferry, so I can say "ferry good", but that is another point)

Great scene, fine beach - and it looks like it will work pirate_satisfied.gif

Great hull technique! I always believed those arch bricks were more useful than they appear!!! I have only used them for small boat designs (or as parts of derelict ship hulls) but your use is really something i would like to try one day!! I somehow love the way the ship hull is fixed to the ground with the chains and all.

Great job. The landscaping is spartan, but I think that works really well for an area where workers would constantly be trampling the ground. The slipways are also relatively simple, but they still look excellent and incorporate all the necessary features. What really stands out to me is the hull :pir-wub:. You did a fantastic job on it, and I would love to see her with a proper deck, masts, and rigging.

One suggestion would be to add some clutter to the scene. I think piles of wood and wood scraps would add to the scene.