42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator - Rating  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Thank you for great review. Thanks to this I finally know for sure that I will not buy this model.

My opinion - I think this is JUST big, nothing more. Volvo EW160E looks much more interesting. It is tiny compare to this thing, but in my eyes, it is more wow than this.

The only thing that should be changed in this model to convert it to a GBC, IMHO, is put some 5L liftarms in the lower conveyor belt, so the balls wont roll backwards, that should be enough for a efficient working.

Thank you Blakbird for a well written & very detailed review.

I've had this set on order 3 times and each time I've cancelled it, your review has persuaded me to reorder it. This time there'll be no cancellation.

Excellent review! You've done incredible work. It's cool that new parts are available in MlCAD :)

Excellent review! You've done incredible work. It's cool that new parts are available in MlCAD :)

Thanks to Philo for making the new parts so quickly.

I have added the poll. Please cast your vote people, thanks.

Excellent, spotless review. I'm in love with this monster ever since I first saw videos from Toy Fair in Nuremberg. This is easily my favorite Technic set to date in terms of looks. Raw power, no compromise (well, it could be minifig scale, but then it wouldn't even support its own weight I suppose). The build is long and satisfying. I'm now finishing it and I can't wait to see how it works, even though I realize it's awfully slow. Anyway, it seems to be much better choice than overpriced and overhyped Porsche. It's an interesting machine and a surprising choice for a flagship model, which makes it even more desirable in my opinion.

When I rotate the bucket wheel manually and slowly, I notice a slight bump every 90 degree. This bump makes the bucket wheel need more force. Does anyone have this issue? Any idea how to solve it?

When I rotate the bucket wheel manually and slowly, I notice a slight bump every 90 degree. This bump makes the bucket wheel need more force. Does anyone have this issue? Any idea how to solve it?

I have exactly the same issue.

I think the problem might be in the bucket wheel itself, try to look closely to the curved gear racks, it could be possible that they could be a bit misaligned and this results in a small bumping every 90 degrees, and to be sure of this, you can remove the upper conveyor belt that moves the bucket wheel, to be sure of the location of the problem.

When I first saw the drivetrain for the tracks, I thought "That 20-tooth single-bevel gear is going to break". Yet I haven't heard any complaints of that happening so far.

Hope the UK price doesn't go up - £179.99 is a great price, especially considering Brexit's effect on the exchange rates...

When I first saw the drivetrain for the tracks, I thought "That 20-tooth single-bevel gear is going to break". Yet I haven't heard any complaints of that happening so far.

Apart from testing to see if it works properly, i don't think most people abused that function of the BWE to the point where the bevel gear would wear out.

I am in the middle of building it. The engineering exhibited so far amazes me. The modular approach with many dismantling points will make transport to displays and storage easier. I am an older builder, 78, and I enjoy the building and 'understanding' process more than the 'operating / play' process. I bought two since I want to use the BWe and it's 'B' model together. I've also experience several situations where dismantling and correction have been necessary. It calls for very careful attention to instructions, which is not a bad thing :)

I have not had this problem, but if it is every 90 degrees then it would seem to be a discontinuity where the ring gears meet. Check your yellow ring gear joints and make sure they are tight.

In general LEGO parts are designed to have a 0.1mm gap when joined, so I suppose it is not surprising that this little bump in a gear is detectable.

It's funny that when I put on the double clutch gear, the drive function almost doesn't work. When it does, it crawls even slower than the BWE in Sariel's review or that in the Toy Fair. So I decided to use the double 24z gear permanently.

My 42055 was delivered today :classic: Now I've just got to find time to finish the 8880 and build this behemoth.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by grum64

Great review! I have to admit a lot of it went over my head, but just hearing praise of the functionality of this set from an expert Technic builder such as yourself is enough to give me confidence in the quality of the model. The color-coded diagrams were also a fantastic resource, allowing me to better picture the model's functions separate from the overall structure.

I am in the middle of building it. The engineering exhibited so far amazes me. The modular approach with many dismantling points will make transport to displays and storage easier. I am an older builder, 78, and I enjoy the building and 'understanding' process more than the 'operating / play' process. I bought two since I want to use the BWe and it's 'B' model together. I've also experience several situations where dismantling and correction have been necessary. It calls for very careful attention to instructions, which is not a bad thing :)

Wow! Another older builder! We're taking over EB! It must be an older builder thing,because I also enjoy the process more than the final model. Since I don't have room to keep all my models assembled,I disassemble and store my favorites as sets and rebuild later. This is what I plan to do with the BWE.

Andy D

PS: @ knotian, if you want a lovely badge declaring that you are a senior builder and "older than dirt" go to http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89346&st=0 and announce your age and maybe you will receive a lovely badge like I have.

Edited by Andy D

My 42055 was delivered today :classic: Now I've just got to find time to finish the 8880 and build this behemoth.

Edit: Spelling

@grum64 Looking forward to the blow-by-blow like the 42009....

Andy D

what a superb review :thumbup: :thumbup: ! the renders are really useful. i couldn't figure out how the output conveyor lock worked but it turned out to be pretty simply. If i can afford it i will definitly get this set!

Note that a full yellow ring has 140 teeth, not 136.

I second that, perhaps a correction can be made in the 1st post. Each quarter has 35 teeth, not 34, hence 140 teeth in the complete ring.

I second that, perhaps a correction can be made in the 1st post. Each quarter has 35 teeth, not 34, hence 140 teeth in the complete ring.

Fixed.