I recently learned how to 3d model so I started making parts compatible with Lego (thanks efferman :wink: )

625x465_15494304_9153883_1472075829.jpg

So far this is the only part I have made, it used on the portal axle piece to cover the gear to stop dirt from getting on the gears causing wear.

I think you could use either Lpub's export tool, or LDR importer for blender, and export the original ldraw meshes into your CAD program of choice, to modify original parts. That's just a thought, if you want to keep part of lego's design for gears ect.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I think you could use either Lpub's export tool, or LDR importer for blender, and export the original ldraw meshes into your CAD program of choice, to modify original parts. That's just a thought, if you want to keep part of lego's design for gears ect.

I could but I liked the challenge of recreating the gear, it was quite painstaking, but rewarding.

I could but I liked the challenge of recreating the gear, it was quite painstaking, but rewarding.

Yeah it's a fun challenge of making cad models of lego parts. I wonder if there is a good directory of tolerances for 3D printing lego parts. Say pin holes, or axle holes, ect. as there is some expansion with 3D printed plastics, and it probably varies from printer to printer. It's one of the things that I wonder about for printing 3d parts, as it could be too loose/tight for a good fit, even though the measurement is accurately based off of original parts. Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

lego 5x7 frame with holes for 3/16 ball bearings  3d printed

Here is my latest designed part, it is a 5x7 frame made to hold 3/16 ball bearings. This part will be useful when you want high RPM's going through a differential but don't want the friction involved and the possibility of boring out the holes :sadnew: (Guilty)

The rounded parts that stick out are half a stud think so it will not be an odd length that interferes with other parts.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PRS6LM26T/lego-5x7-frame-with-holes-for-3-16-ball-bearings?key=bc0ac1ca44c1d43a560cb81fc1310186

Edited by JJ2

20 minutes ago, Boxerlego said:

That would be the most ingenious thing right there is 3d print Lego Rc compatible parts. Like to see more of this. 

Thanks, I will be designing more parts soon, do you have any suggestions?

4 hours ago, JJ2 said:

Thanks, I will be designing more parts soon, do you have any suggestions?

What about adapters for conventional servo motors (like a pin connector with a hole for the control rods, and a mounting bracket for the servo.)

3 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

What about adapters for conventional servo motors (like a pin connector with a hole for the control rods, and a mounting bracket for the servo.)

yes! 

I've been spending hours and hours the last week trying to mold something to connect a 360 servo with lego.

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

yes! 

I've been spending hours and hours the last week trying to mold something to connect a 360 servo with lego.

Do you mean a servo horn?

8 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Efferman has made something of the sort, but I can design a liftarm that can be screwed into to hold it.

I have found out that a 4 stud L beam fits perfectly so you can screw the liftarm to the servo.

7 hours ago, JJ2 said:

I updated the 12T gear design

Based on my limited experience, another gear that often slips (and therefore probably require a 'hardened' version :laugh:) is the 20T beveled with the differential housing, when used in either a RWD or FWD model (but in AWD, it's often the 12T within the middle differential that slips).

11 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

Based on my limited experience, another gear that often slips (and therefore probably require a 'hardened' version :laugh:) is the 20T beveled with the differential housing, when used in either a RWD or FWD model (but in AWD, it's often the 12T within the middle differential that slips).

These gears will not work inside the lego differential, they are flat on the back making them not fit or stay in place, they are mainly to be used for meshing with 20T and 36T gears.

Also the 20T is usually not the one slipping its the diff itself.

5 hours ago, JJ2 said:

These gears will not work inside the lego differential, they are flat on the back making them not fit or stay in place, they are mainly to be used for meshing with 20T and 36T gears.

Also the 20T is usually not the one slipping its the diff itself.

:laugh::tongue:

9 hours ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

These are cool designs, I'm pretty sure some people might want to use this...!

Thank you

lego 5x7 frame with holes for 3/16 ball bearings  3d printed

I updated the 5x7 frame to fit 3/8 x 3/16 bearings because the 5/16 x 3/16 that is was originally made for are a lot more expensive on amazon.