Murdoch17

ALCO FA + FB diesel units (6 wide) - real life MOC models

MODS: the last topic i made on this train was long ago (2013) I thought that making a new one instead of resurrecting an old one and updating it would be better... though I could be wrong. if so, I am sorry for any trouble I have caused!

The locomotive is a American Locomotive Company (ALCO for short) diesel two unit semi-permanently coupled set, with both engines assigned the same number. The front unit where the engineer sits is called a Cab (or A) unit, while the trailing unit is called a Booster (or B) unit, though they can be used in more groups than just two, like a an A-B-B-A set as used on the real life Santa Fe Super Chief, among many other trains. This feature was not unique to the ALCO family, as Baldwin, EMD, and many smaller makers such as Fairbanks - Morse did so too. However, sometimes different companies' types were difficult (or impossible) to connect together because of placement of Multiple Unit control hoses / ports. (Like a ALCO A unit leading a Baldwin B unit, a Fairbanks Morse B Unit and a EMD A unit at the rear... though it would be something to see!)

6238331351_4fe854b84f_z.jpg

This model was inspired by Valgarise and his model called "Invencible" (seen above). It looked like an nice big ALCO model (and in the right colors for my railroad too!) so I built it and a booster unit sometime in early 2014 / late 2013. More awesome pictures of this loco are available in his photo stream here: https://www.flickr.c...157627755617169

39193544742_66d28bc935_z.jpg

I recently changed the colors from black and red to green and black, with some dark bluish gray for the mechanical details. This will allow it to stand out more and be easier to take photographs of. (anyone who has made an all black model knows what I mean!)

38513706144_fe5c2f23b4_z.jpg

Their is no LDD file for this engine at the moment, though one could be uploaded eventually.

24123652787_bfab8fa2bd_z.jpg

Here we see the engines pulling their assigned freight train, which consists of a rock gondola, tanker car, drop-side flatcar, two boxcars and a caboose. More cars are to be built in 2018, including an acid tanker, a Technic-frame depressed-center flat car, several grain hoppers and possibly a loaded three-tier auto rack car.

If you have any questions, complaints, or suggestions, feel free to leave it below as any feedback would be welcome!

EDIT: LDD File available here: http://www.moc-pages...1472244392m.lxf

Edited by Murdoch17

The nose of your model seems to be a bit longer than the model Valgarise made which is a good thing, ALCO's with long noses are a lot more recognizable.

Looking at the photos of a PA locomotive online the headlight up front is encased in a squarish box. Capturing this feature on the model will further help differentiate it as an ALCO PA and help it not seem like an EMD F series unit. You might want to eliminate a radiator or two on the roof since most photos of PA's I find online suggest they only have one 'disc' radiator thingy on the roof. (For example this N-Scale model: http://www.katousa.com/N/PA/176-4107.JPG )

I am impressed by the joining of the red and black slopes in the nose, it is a very convincing effect. By keeping it in 6-wide size to it definitely looks a lot like an official Lego product and makes me really wish Lego would produce sets that looked like this more often. I am really liking the way it comes together overall.

The nose of your model seems to be a bit longer than the model Valgarise made which is a good thing, ALCO's with long noses are a lot more recognizable.

Looking at the photos of a PA locomotive online the headlight up front is encased in a squarish box. Capturing this feature on the model will further help differentiate it as an ALCO PA and help it not seem like an EMD F series unit. You might want to eliminate a radiator or two on the roof since most photos of PA's I find online suggest they only have one 'disc' radiator thingy on the roof. (For example this N-Scale model: http://www.katousa.c...PA/176-4107.JPG )

I am impressed by the joining of the red and black slopes in the nose, it is a very convincing effect. By keeping it in 6-wide size to it definitely looks a lot like an official Lego product and makes me really wish Lego would produce sets that looked like this more often. I am really liking the way it comes together overall.

Thanks for you suggestions, xboxtravis7992. I will look into the number of radiators and the headlight, and the semi-official look was my intention. I like to build as if I was working for the company, even though I'm not. It just makes it that much more challenging and gives you and idea of the struggles they have to work with, including some AFOLs who want things just so, even though they might make a set only they would buy. Basically, you can't always get what you want, but you can modify it to suit your personal tastes.,Which isn't that what LEGO is all about?

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now, sorry for the rant.

Thanks again for commenting!

28626577382_33e1921616_z.jpg

Main post updated to have the LDD file. Here is a new picture as well showing the ALCO engine and a EMD competitor's nose.

29201530935_5e0f7cf5ac_z.jpg

sorry for the year-and-six month bump, but this model has been changed from this...

39193544742_66d28bc935_z.jpg

to this! The first post has been updated accordingly with the new pictures.

On 12/23/2017 at 8:21 AM, Bricksmith said:

I adore these, so well made and shaped!! Keep it up man :)

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

amazing work!!! it's so smooth! (except for the studs of course) :wub: