Ayrlego

[COR - Aug FB3] The 'Red' School, Weelond

The 'An Holli Corrington College', or The 'Corrish' or 'Red' School to the locals, has been completed in the Eslandolan settlement of Weelond.

The school is ultimately the result of correspondence between the Mayor of Weelond, Willem Guilder and the temporary military governor of Alicentia, Major Dirk Allock. Mayor Guilder, concerned regarding the lack of educational facilities in his settlement, wrote to Major Allock in his capacity as a fellow (albeit yet to be confirmed) controller of a settlement, and a Corlander famed for his membership and patronage of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy. After swift negotiations, Major Allcock agreed that the society would establish an office and educational facility in Weelond.

Unable to visit Weelond just yet (although he has plans to do so in the near future), Major Allcock has delegated the responsibility of the new school to Thomas Elliot, a school teacher from Arlinsport. Elliot also dabbles in architecture, so the design of the new school was also left to him. Major Allcock gave some loose direction, the school should ideally be on a medium plot size, and should be a testament to the Corlander dedication to the Sciences and education in general.

On arriving in Weelond Elliot found the purchase of a suitable block of land quite difficult, even with a letter of introduction from the Mayor himself. Not surprisingly in a settlement controlled by the very successful merchants of the MCTC, land prices were highly competitive to say the least! In the end Elliot settled for a small, narrow block and secured its lease at a very competitive rate (it was thought too small to be of any real value!). He then proceed to design a three story facility. To highlight this was a Corlander establishment, the only natural colour to build in was of course red - with black and white trim. Unfortunately white stone was in quite high demand, and white washing didn't convey the grandeur Elliot wished to convey, so the white was replaced with light grey.

28557506373_579ba1f99a_c.jpg29176894515_e817bcb103_c.jpg

The school as seen from the street with an Eslandolan Soldier patrolling the streets, and from the rear where a small chilli bush has been cultivated - Elliot has developed quite a taste for spicy foods and grows his own supply!

28889228320_5328d18d48_c.jpg

The ground floor is used for classes. Mondays and Tuesdays Elliot teaches the children of wealthy merchants and the moneyed class. The essentials of reading, writing and arithmetic are covered (He finds this class most attentive to the mathematical sessions!) as well as a smattering of Natural Philosophy. Wednesdays and Thursdays are a more mature age, with locals interested in Natural Philosophy learning the basics of that science. Fridays and Saturdays Elliot has off, or devotes to his own studies, and Sundays he holds free classes for the poorer children of the settlement who are required to work throughout the week.

28557474773_3fa85068eb_c.jpg

The middle floor is a devoted living area which is also regularly co-opted for scientific studies.

29098663281_73bcc6eb8b_c.jpg

The upper floor is Elliot's Bed chamber and where his white cat Molly can often be found. The whole place is furnished in a rather Spartan style, some may remark it needs a women's touch? Who knows, maybe School master Elliot will find love with a local Eslandolan women?

-----------------------------

Something a little different from my usual style, my first attempt at a fully modular house. Heavily based on the design in the excellent MOC found here, I really liked the turret on the front of the building but modified the rear of the building, windows, roof and most obviously the colours! I wanted to use bright 'classic' colours - hopefully the red is not too bright and fits in to the generally more colourful Eslandolan style! I was a bit worried the design maybe a bit modern, but I think it works. The build will be licensed as a small educational property in the settlement of Weelond.

Enjoy and as always C&C welcome!

Oh and here is an extra view of all the components together!

29143279096_f3bc62484c_c.jpg

Very nice build, Ayrlego, the modular approach looks great here, and the turret, clips, and window frames are excellent as well! :thumbup: Very good job with the interior too, it's great to see some of the old one-room schools here in BoBS! pirate_wink.gif If I had a nitpick, it would be that there seems to be missing one brown 1x4 tile on the third story (under the shelf), but that is obviously pretty small pir_laugh2.gif The best part is naturally the Eslandolan soldier out front though, ha, ha! default_laugh_new.gif

Really nice colors and architectural style! I also like the modular aspects of this build, and the chili bush out back is great! :thumbup: Nice to see a bit of education being brought to Weelond as well!

Excellent build! And of course it would be known as the "Red" school! The citizens of Weelond will be well served. The architecture is quite attractive, and even though it has obvious Corrie (and perhaps even Oleander?) influences, it fits well in this Eslandolan settlement, especially with it's economical use of a small footprint. The corner tower at the top should serve as a nice visible landmark on the Weelond skyline.

Lot's of nice details here. I like the clip plates used as decoration, and the relief around the windows. Nice detail along the rooftop, too. And the modularity of the whole thing really makes it complete. My favorite interior touches are the rail for the chalk beneath the blackboard and the magnifying glass in front of the window in Elliot's living quarters.

Governor Guilder is quite pleased with the opening of the new school. Major Allcock is clearly a man of his word, delivering such a fine educational facility, and Thomas Elliot represents him well. Governor Guilder already has a man scouting for property in Mooreton Bay, and designs for the planned MCTC facility there are well under way. This partnership shows that the trade companies can be an excellent way for Eslandola to build bridges with our neighbors in the Brick Seas.

Looks very good, the l bley-red colour combo works great, and I like the window-design!

This is an excellent pocket sized jewel! Great colors with an even better design (i am looking at you turret!) and modularity at its best

Absolutely fabulous modular addition to Weelond - I am happy to see the Society spreading its influence and bringing some enlightenment to our neighbours. pirate_wink.gif

I think the colours work really well, and the architecture looks to me quite like what you would see in revolutionary Oleon - erhm... France, I mean... so I don't think it is too modern. I think I would have made the roof on the tower one level higher, but otherwise the proportions are beautiful. The detailing at the edge of the roof and around the windows is really nice, as is the interior details.

Well done!

Thank you everyone for the comments!

If I had a nitpick, it would be that there seems to be missing one brown 1x4 tile on the third story (under the shelf), but that is obviously pretty small pir_laugh2.gif The best part is naturally the Eslandolan soldier out front though, ha, ha! default_laugh_new.gif

Thanks Garmadon, yeah I noticed the missing tile after I'd taken the pictures. In my defence it occurs below the shelf and is really highlighted by the angle of the photo, but is not that prominent in real life! Always happens after you take the photos right! pirate_laugh_new.gif It was nice to have a soldier not wearing a red coat for a change!

Governor Guilder already has a man scouting for property in Mooreton Bay, and designs for the planned MCTC facility there are well under way. This partnership shows that the trade companies can be an excellent way for Eslandola to build bridges with our neighbors in the Brick Seas.

Thanks Capt Wolf, I look forward to seeing the MCTC arrive in Mooreton Bay!

I think I would have made the roof on the tower one level higher, but otherwise the proportions are beautiful.

Thanks Bregir, I did deliberate around the level of the tower roof for a while, the original I based this on had the level one higher. In the end I decided on a shorter version to try and better tie the two roofs together (but also so it fits on the shelf! pir_laugh2.gif )

This is a great build. Some of my favorite features include the chalkboard, the dresser on the middle level, the roof, and the flower garden. I also think the usage of classic coloring worked really well on this build and a red school is always a great combination.

I love those MOCs that go beyond national boundaries! Also the design is great as it fits both Corrington and Weelond really well.

The interior is well though-out and uses space really cleverly. Als the roof technique is fantastic - looks really well and is simple to reconstruct - I might borrow that idea some day. ;-)