Capn Frank

Collaborative Standard for a Pirate Town

Background

The Pirate Collaborative Layout was great at Brickworld 2016. Members from EB and WisLUG contributed. I had made my own town. However, I can't build much larger without compromising quality.

At Brickworld 2016, I saw a Pirate micro-layout of a series of Octagons and Squares. It was at the table for the official Brickworld 2016 Pirates Collaboration.

This build reminded me of Tedbeard's Port Brick Standard (Flickr). For Brickworld 2017, I would like a collaborative town containing builds from multiple members for one large town using a combination of Tedbeard's Port Brick Standard with the shapes of the micro-pirate layout.

Top View

27391376973_cfc08f7526_c.jpg

Again, this standard is a series of Octagons and Squares. An equal number of Octagons and Squares are needed. Public will view the display from the top of the image, which means the fronts of the buildings will be seen.

• Squares are 18X18 studs.
  • Octagons are 30X30 studs.
  • Each side of the Octagon is 18 studs long.
  • An Octagon and Square is 48 studs long, which allows standard base plates to be used.
  • The "road" is six studs wide. Light gray is the base, and I will be using 1X1 round plates or tiles to provide texture.
  • The configuration of the roads needs to be maintained. This configuration allows mini-figures to travel through the entire layout.
  • The road only needs to be six studs wide at the edge. Constant roadway widths are discouraged. :pir-grin:

Overview

29064461281_8a887b65ca_c.jpg

My current goal is to have three rows of Octagons and Squares with an unspecified width. Each row back will be four bricks taller creating a terrace shape of the layout. All of the builds should be easily viewable in the front and back.

The idea is for people to contribute one or many parts of the layout. Together, building a much larger layout.

Octagons - LDD file

29109124316_d379573bc5_b.jpg

Above is a basic Octagon showing the requirements to be a part of the layout. A 5-brick tall retaining wall along the back for the next row to abut 4 bricks taller. Stairs (or a ramp) that goes up 4 bricks. The retaining wall is needed if there is nothing else to cover up the front of the next row. A hill could be built up 4 bricks high in the back to match with the back row.

If possible, buildings on an Octagon should not be at right angles!

I tried to keep the Octagon as simple as possible. :blush:

However, I do believe most people would have the bricks to build at least one Octagon.

If you can only contribute one part of the Layout, an Octagon would be preferred. :thumbup:

The town layout size will likely be controlled by the number of Octagons.

Additional Images

29109125136_6c9baf115a.jpg 29064463931_bc8a19a55f.jpg 29109123686_5d3fb08af9.jpg

Examples

29064463791_ea463799e8_z.jpg

Squares - LDD file

29064461781_e4c5a4d857_z.jpg

Squares are easy! If you are working on your contribution days, hours, ...or minutes before the public show, then Squares are for you! :pir-grin:

The 5-brick retaining wall is needed for any portion there is not a building or hill. Light gray road in the front. The sloped bricks are important on the right to cover up the side of the stairs of the Octagon. Slopes don't have to be used. The building can be right on the back, left corner, or anything else can be used. Be creative, and check out the examples below for inspiration. :thumbup:

It's much more difficult on the smaller square, but if you are a build-master, buildings on a Square should not be at right angles!

Additional Images

29109123886_06cd2dccee.jpg 29109122926_55ae360e5b.jpg 29109125776_221d1c5575.jpg

Examples

28570745584_2e15f9dd11_n.jpg 29064463531_6b9791e85b_n.jpg 29109125436_dce8dec743_n.jpg

I love it! Count me in. Assuming I won't be able to afford the convention again next year, I suppose I should think small, take a square so I can mail-in again. Off the cuff I think I'd very much like to do a smithy.

Very Nice, and I'd love to participate, but well... It's a bit far :wink:

Billund LEGOLAND will celebrare a jubilee in 2017.So I think LEGO fans' creations will be unforgetable. Especially because pirate is still the most popular series.

I think this idea is great!  David Gregory (Brickworld Castle Coordinator) and I set up the microscale version of the octagon tiles with help from others.  We would love to have your minifigure scale modular layout as part of the Pirates collaboration.  Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Thanks,

Ben Ellermann

Brickworld Pirates Coordinator