GallardoLU

[MOC] Aston Martin RB 001

The Aston Martin RB 001, is a Hyper-car designed in partnership with Red Bull racing and Aston Martin. The performance figures have not even been set in stone yet, but claims are being made that it will lay down LMP1 lap times, and sport a V12 in the middle of this beauty of engineering. also expected is a Track only version which will push it even further, F1 times being the targets for that version. weather it lives up to the hype or not there is no denying that beauty of it's styling. (photo of the car: http://blog.caranddr...03-876x535.jpg)

this Lego version is just as sleek and impressive as the real thing. and an extreme amount of care went into this model both replicating as many features as possible and the spirit of the vehicle. i spent several days refining the lines and adjusting almost every part of the car to include as many of the vents, ducts, and other extreme body work details as i could fit in a 6wide+ car. and at a mere 16 studs long and 3.33 bricks tall it is one of my smallest city scale cars to date. but that's not what you are here for you want to see the car so lets get to it!

28544080084_c0601dc804_c.jpg

So from this angle you can see just how sleek it is, very few breaks on body line, and everything swoops back in attempt to follow the real cars tear drop lines. (note, the raised rear wing, in this image)

29165826725_7987904d75_c.jpg

the Dramatic side vents are a bit tough to see being black on black, but the lighting on this angle shows just how deep some of the cuts are in the body work. (also wing in its down position, which i find so elegant and is my preferred position for it)

29165822805_732ac0bf5a_c.jpg

rear view of the car, there is very little hear as the body lines pull high to the wing and only a lower lip at the break lights to allow for minimal drag and maximum down-force on the read of the car.

29132481376_41da005a89_c.jpg

top view of the near stud-less car, not a lot to see from this angle that hasn't been shown already

and lastly a comparison shot (slightly blurry i hadn't noticed till i was posting it here, will try to re shoot that at a later time)

28878425840_17ef400234_c.jpg

Thanks, for taking a look, and i welcome any and all feed back on this model, I'm probably not done with it myself yet, but its 95% the way it will likely stay. hope you liked it!

Edited by GallardoLU

Very nice! Smooth lines and I like that adjustable rear wing and the wedge plate behind the windscreen. Would like to see the underside, which is where all the interesting things are happening on the real car. Watch out for chasing dogs with those tail lights!

It would be good if you could fit a steering wheel in there though. And while it looks great as is, it would be even more accurate to prototype if you could shorten the nose a little somehow.

It sure looks great in comparison with the McLaren in that last shot! Love it.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Very nice! Smooth lines and I like that adjustable rear wing and the wedge plate behind the windscreen. Would like to see the underside, which is where all the interesting things are happening on the real car. Watch out for chasing dogs with those tail lights!

It would be good if you could fit a steering wheel in there though. And while it looks great as is, it would be even more accurate to prototype if you could shorten the nose a little somehow.

It sure looks great in comparison with the McLaren in that last shot! Love it.

Thanks, I had wondered who would mention the nose length first, I originally had it only 1 stud forward of the fender piece but many of the other features were getting compromised as a result. i'll likely try to come up with another solution for it but so far what you see has been the best option.

as for the steering wheel, I'm already looking into that (as it bugs me too) the underside of the Lego car is nothing interesting, due to the proportions of a minifig, the why the axles and fenders are shaped and the thickness of a brick sculpting out the keel of the underbody and other aero components just couldn't be done. none the less i'm willing to make a few more stabs at it and see if I can find some sort of Lego sorcery :grin:

yes, I need some of those, I have only 1 at the moment (Camaro set) but I think i'll make a run to one of my nearby stores and see if I can't get my hands on 4 or so of those.

And thanks everyone for the comments and compliments so far!

so as previously mentioned changes have happened (along with getting new hubs to further change the under body) and the following pictures show the fruits of the labor, it is far more delicate now, but also far more accurate.

28569214114_c9a72cc759_c.jpg

although the lighting is again not ideal (really struggling photographing black) you can clearly see the body work pulls all the way back to the wheels on the underside now, and the tail lights are a touch higher than before.

29157514506_025b01dfa5_c.jpg

Better image of the side of the car, you can now see all the vent work done here, also very clearly shown is the newer shortened nose, half a plate further back than the last version.

28569216654_5f20e2764b_c.jpg

Our very privileged driver can now control the car too, added "steering wheel" just a single round plate, aside from that the car appears much the same as the previous top down shot.

29157516916_3c7b42c221_c.jpg

the new front end now has a new feature, free airflow out and under the nose, it has been hollowed out to the very extreme of what the bricks can stand to get to this point but sure enough those 2 light grey areas are daylight.

28569542534_c38604ebc3_c.jpg

and last is the requested under body shot, now its not smooth being Lego, but it is as complex as i can while still leaving a tub for the driver to sit in.

Feel Free to comment and Critique V2, again, this may change a little here or there over the coming weeks but thanks to the input above at this moment i am very very happy with it.

Edited by GallardoLU

Awesome improvements! The back is better and the front much improved. That vented front wing is especially good. Also great to have a steering wheel! Have you tried a minifig barbell weight there? It might not fit vertically, but it would be the right size if it does.

Not a criticism, but I'm surprised to see you haven't used the standard vehicle base, as this gets the driver lower down than a plate thanks to the thinness of the central recess. I assume this would have clashed with your internal structure?

Anyway, great work! The underside looks fantastic, and the whole thing is now very distinctive and accurate to prototype.

Awesome improvements! The back is better and the front much improved. That vented front wing is especially good. Also great to have a steering wheel! Have you tried a minifig barbell weight there? It might not fit vertically, but it would be the right size if it does.

Not a criticism, but I'm surprised to see you haven't used the standard vehicle base, as this gets the driver lower down than a plate thanks to the thinness of the central recess. I assume this would have clashed with your internal structure?

Anyway, great work! The underside looks fantastic, and the whole thing is now very distinctive and accurate to prototype.

thanks again for the critiques, per the vehicle base I've run into several cars that require the driver to sit far forward with feet nearing the center of the axle line, the "tub" on the standard base doesn't allow the driver to sit in the correct locations. and being that I mostly build track day and hyper/super cars this often is the case. so I sacrifice the little height and lean the figure back (also usually similar to the seated position for the car) and similar to the RB 001, some just cant use that piece and get the shaping right for the body, no matter where the driver might fit.

Great idea to use the exhausts to cook those sausages! :wink:

you can thank certain obsession with sausage on another forum for that inspiration :grin:

thanks again for the critiques, per the vehicle base I've run into several cars that require the driver to sit far forward with feet nearing the center of the axle line, the "tub" on the standard base doesn't allow the driver to sit in the correct locations...

Fair enough, though I've found that to be less of a problem after switching the front axle out to 21445 modified 1x2 plates. The vehicle base can then go quite far forward, which is what I did on my 919. Again, not a criticism. Just sharing ideas.

very cool!

Really like the height cutting to get it low, still using SC parts.

Also a great deal of detail all around (vents etc) considering almost no snot was used!!!

Nice work! The usage of the hot dogs is genius. :laugh:

The car looks so nice and the use of sausages - awesome!

Awesome.

Thanks guys, and yes sausage makes everything better :D

very cool!

Really like the height cutting to get it low, still using SC parts.

Also a great deal of detail all around (vents etc) considering almost no snot was used!!!

Thanks, I hadn't noticed how little snot was used until you mentioned it, but yeah, a small amount on the nose, the taillights, and steering wheel. I now kind of want to experiment more with snot to see what I can do on the underside to include more fins, and possibly tuck in the "tub"

Hot dogs for tail lights? Talk about nice part usage!!! And the 4x4 hood piece tilted at a slight angle is perfect. Two thumbs up.

LMF