The only idea I have had about RCT steering done by pneumatics is adding one more cylinder (perhaps the big one) which will be fully retracted when in center position and extend when you steer. then, after steering to one side, you'd retract that cyllinder, forcing the hinge into center position. I'll try to make some sketch later, it's probably hard to understand :D Though I have doubts myself - it should work in principle but in reality, there could be big slack or lack of force.

The only idea I have had about RCT steering done by pneumatics is adding one more cylinder (perhaps the big one) which will be fully retracted when in center position and extend when you steer. then, after steering to one side, you'd retract that cyllinder, forcing the hinge into center position. I'll try to make some sketch later, it's probably hard to understand :D Though I have doubts myself - it should work in principle but in reality, there could be big slack or lack of force.

I have to think about it :thumbup: , another idea would be a pneumatic cylinder turning a gear connect to a small linear actuator like in old trains :laugh: .

I meant something like this. Blue point is the steering pivot axis. Two side cylinders initiate the steering and then, when you want to return to center, middle big cylinder retracts.

640x463.jpg

if the distance between the blue point and the attachment point of the big cylinder on the red circle (which represents a part of the front assembly) is big enough, this might work.

Conveniently, once the small cylinders engage steering - they pretty much select the side - you can help them by extending the big one :)

Playing with pneumatics, now I remember why I don´t like them because I have to place tubes, luckily I have not many functions... I think I don´t use the air tank to have better control of movements.

I meant something like this. Blue point is the steering pivot axis. Two side cylinders initiate the steering and then, when you want to return to center, middle big cylinder retracts.

640x463.jpg

if the distance between the blue point and the attachment point of the big cylinder on the red circle (which represents a part of the front assembly) is big enough, this might work.

Conveniently, once the small cylinders engage steering - they pretty much select the side - you can help them by extending the big one :)

Great concept maybe for a bigger version that no doubt, I will built :laugh: .

The concept is great and hope you get it working my friend :thumbup:

You know I will sooner or later :laugh: .

Edited by jorgeopesi

The arm moves so smooth, want to see more of this awesome loader!

Do you have seen Jorge pump and pump the air thank with his big fingers :laugh::wink: .

Works great when you have enough presure Jorge :thumbup:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Great concept maybe for a bigger version that no doubt, I will built :laugh: .

I challenge you to at least try to squeeze that in :) My experience with pneumatics isn't sheer but I have feeling you might be lacking force with those small cylinders for steering anyway :D And remember you are actually in a competition ;) RTC steering made by pure pneu, that would be something ;)

I challenge you to at least try to squeeze that in :) My experience with pneumatics isn't sheer but I have feeling you might be lacking force with those small cylinders for steering anyway :D And remember you are actually in a competition ;) RTC steering made by pure pneu, that would be something ;)

Challenge accapted :laugh: . Watching how they work and the parts that I think I will use I think they will work very good. I know I am in a competition but I always share ideas I will not change for the hope of a prize. 2 new questions. First, front part and arm are strong but they would be stronger using the small large cylinders, I realized today. Are they enough strong to lift the arm?. Second, another steering idea, hand of god steering connected to a pneumatic switch and a small pump with a 24th clutch gear, crazy enough?.

...front part and arm are strong but they would be stronger using the small large cylinders, I realized today. Are they enough strong to lift the arm?.

I think they should be enough if you don't want to lift load in the bucket. They would even look more realistic in this scale.

I think they should be enough if you don't want to lift load in the bucket. They would even look more realistic in this scale.

I think the same and there won´t be load to play, maybe rice when my wife doesn´t see me :look: . I saw the Sariel pneumatic comparison and a small large cylinder has less force than a small short one so I don´t know, even being 2 at the same time...

Edited by jorgeopesi

More progress with tubes and a new improved linkage. New one is less than a mm smaller than the old one but it makes the movement of the bucket even better, I love linkages :sweet: . I'm a little blocked, the more space I have to work fewer ideas I have, I'm too accustomed to insufficient space.

SaKnr3x.jpg

yOBClcc.jpg

OH2tL5e.jpg

I think this is going to be a great entry.

I'd never have thought of using pneumatics for steering although I know in reality these machines along with many others use hydraulics which I guess pneumatics are a great substitute for.

I'm loving watching all these [TC10] builds. My only experience to date of building with pneumatics has been the UniMog. Besides a few older pneumatic set's, I have the Actros which I hope to build sometime soon(ish).

Looking really promising, the outline indicated in your latest post seems just right! I'm also really curious on your return to center mechanism for the articulated steering. One of the things I think might be a problem, is that the closer it is to center, the less effect of retracting the big cylinder. Example: If its still 5 degrees off center, only apx. 9 % (the sine of 5 degrees) of the force from the big cylinder will be useful. But still a good idea, looking forward to see more!

Edited by kolbjha

Amazing model :)

Really like the pneumatic steering, but you should definitely think about krisandkris12 steering idea even it will be hard to make :)

Thank you for all kind comments dudes. I have no room for a return to center steering but I think it is not necessary, the machine is controlled quite well with the hand pump and the hand of good pneumatic steering placed on the cab. I have a problem, everything works perfect and I already have all the rear part of the machine to build :laugh: . I can put an air tank or a v16 fake working engine (like the real machine) and even another pneumatic cylinder to lift the engine cover...

crvyNnS.jpg

744CTuU.jpg

bDMUbyO.jpg

wivq2nL.jpg

Well, if the air tank doesn't add functionality just go for one more cylinder to open the hood as well as the engine so there is a reason to open the hood.

Well, if the air tank doesn't add functionality just go for one more cylinder to open the hood as well as the engine so there is a reason to open the hood.

It seems to be a lot of sense.

Very nice. Good to hear that the steering is controllable just as it is. Could you make a demo video by any chance? :wub:

Very nice. Good to hear that the steering is controllable just as it is. Could you make a demo video by any chance? :wub:

Of course... as you can see the steering works opposite :laugh: , it always happen to me :wacko: but with pneumatics is easier to fix :grin: . The v16 fits... I don´t know if the hood will be possible.

:wub:

Me too Edwin, I love all heavy machinery.

Cool! :thumbup::wub: Really start to turn out as a possible winner... :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words, my goals are to be playable, affordable and realistic if I get it I'll be satisfied, after all, we all are potential winners :laugh: .

Great progress. I'm building a backhoe for the contest, and actually for a pneumatic contest like this, obvious, straightforward themes are the best. I hope to see more common machinery in the contest.

(I'm very curious if I can implement the small joystick controls in the cabin for the arm...)

Great progress. I'm building a backhoe for the contest, and actually for a pneumatic contest like this, obvious, straightforward themes are the best. I hope to see more common machinery in the contest.

(I'm very curious if I can implement the small joystick controls in the cabin for the arm...)

I knew there would be backhoes with class tyres sure :laugh: . It was the first thing I thought but a backhoe deserves more time that I had, it is like build a wheel loader and a excavator all together, it has to be perfect because it has a lot of linkages and movements that I wanted to represent perfect, so I decided for something more reasonable for the time we have. Good luck with it is a shame not being able to see their development, build it perfect because I have the same eye for machinery as others for cars :wink: . My advice would be to go for a medium-small backhoe with class tyres this way you will have maximum space for everything, like this, it is not impressive but it would be possible to put everything.

hpTdjuY.jpg

Edited by jorgeopesi