Sandy

Heroica RPG - Wikia Contest

Well, that answers that, then! Let the Lances page stand as a testament to my over-eagerness! Haha

I forgot to tell this, but remember to categorize all your new articles. That way they will be listed conveniently in one place with all related articles.

Player characters belong to the category of "PCs", while non-player characters are "NPCs", and monsters and villains belong to "Enemies". There's categories for "Quests", "Races", "Factions", "Items", "Weapons" and almost everything else as well. One article can be put into several categories, too.

A gentle warning: be sure to log in before you start editing stuff, otherwise Sandy can't figure out what you've done. :wink:

A less gentle warning: I'm about to start work on the Characters infobox template; all existing character infoboxes will break and need to be remade now. Once I've finished tweaking the new template and the wiki CSS to support it, though, it will be much nicer, and should have improved documentation on use to boot. :classic:

If you'd like to see what the character infobox will look like, I've already finished porting the Quests infobox (Template:Infobox quest) to the new portable format; existing Quest infoboxes are likely broken as well, so if anyone wants to start going through and fixing them up it'd be much appreciated. :thumbup:

What is the point of info boxes if all the info is already included on the page anyways?

By process of elimination, the boxes.

What is the point of info boxes if all the info is already included on the page anyways?

They're useful for at-a-glance stuff (age, race, most recent appearance), so the rest of the article can go more in-depth. I'm thinking of paring down the Quest one, since right now it implies that you're supposed to paste the entire original pitch in there, which isn't really the intention (especially since pitches can get quite long).

Heinrich Hinckwell's page sort of shows how infoboxes can be useful (and also highlights my work on the Hinckwell theme, which is somewhat of a pilot for the other faction infobox themes :blush: ).

I'm not a huge fan of infoboxes, either, since the articles don't have that much information in them to begin with... If the articles were pages long, then they sure would have their place, but now it seems there's not much info left outside the infobox.

I'm still getting used to the Wiki but does anyone know how to add other "categories" or whatever they are like on the Polkungs page where it says "Appearance" and goes on about that? I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm still getting used to the Wiki but does anyone know how to add other "categories" or whatever they are like on the Polkungs page where it says "Appearance" and goes on about that? I can't seem to figure it out.

Those are headings; I wrote up a brief explanation on them here. :classic:

All right, folks, for those of you questioning why we have infoboxes: this is why. :wink:

Since I did not link certain things on the pages I made, such as linking Addok-Zo Obbex on the characters list, it does not conflict with my entries. I was not sure how to do certain things but I feel confident in what I have done. :classic:

~THE CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY OVER!~

When the clock struck midnigth, Bookmark stretched his fingers.

heroicanpc-bookmark.jpg

"Oh my, look how the time flies! It looks like we have been working all day with no rest. I want to thank all of you for your hard work. Master Byblos will be so proud of the work we've done when he gets back."

WINNERS:

QUALITY: Flipz with his incredibly in-depth article about dragons, their history and regional differences etc. It was an enjoyable read, highly informative and very well organized, too. Great job!

QUANTITY: Wikiaterbrick Down for the sheer volume of new articles about his quests and NPCs. WDB's quests have always been tightly woven into the game world that we've all created together, with nods to other player's works sprinkled aroud, so it is important to have them be found in the Wiki as well. Here's to hoping other QMs find the time to record their creations into the Wiki some day too!

As promised, each of you can add 5000 gold to your characters - split in any way you want - and each of your characters will get access to the Scholar job class upon Level 30. Congratulations, and a huge thank you to all of you who found the time to participate!

Thanks Sandy! This whole thing has really jump started me into getting this Wiki filled out, document 132 is going to be a beast, but I'm looking forward to having all the Dwarven information out there. If anyone has ever thought of hosting a quest, the Wiki is a great place for ideas!

... :blush:

I'm honored, really, but unfortunately my addition to the Dragons page doesn't qualify (I did it all the way back in July, and it was an improvement rather than a completely new page). I think the only article I fully started during the contest period was the Quest 104 page, which I added on September 3rd. :blush:

While I'm here, though: a huge thank-you to everyone who's been helping out on the Wiki! As of right now we're up to 916 pages, almost all of them having lots of information that's immensely helpful for players and QMs alike! I highly encourage everyone to keep contributing, so that we have an easy, accessible resource for Heroica that anyone can search and use. :classic:

... :blush:

I'm honored, really, but unfortunately my addition to the Dragons page doesn't qualify (I did it all the way back in July, and it was an improvement rather than a completely new page). I think the only article I fully started during the contest period was the Quest 104 page, which I added on September 3rd. :blush:

Oh, I seem to have misread the date of your update somehow... :blush: But no matter, the article about Quest#104 was my second choice anyway. There simply wasn't much competition in the category, except for Goliath's article about Wakorians, which was also very extensively written.

So you're still the winner of the category nonetheless. :wink:

Oh, I seem to have misread the date of your update somehow... :blush: But no matter, the article about Quest#104 was my second choice anyway. There simply wasn't much competition in the category, except for Goliath's article about Wakorians, which was also very extensively written.

So you're still the winner of the category nonetheless. :wink:

Oh! Well, in that case, thank you very much. :blush:

And in honor of the contest and all the great new content that's been added, I've gone ahead and added a couple new Featured Articles to the Wiki. Check them out--and as always, if you have more information on the world of Heroica, we're always happy to welcome new editors and new information. :classic: