Sandy

Heroica RPG - Wikia Contest

heroica-fifthanniversarybanner.jpg

heroica-wikiacontest.jpg

heroicanpc-bookmark.jpg

"Greetings! I do not know if we have met, but I am Bookmark, the Dauntlet assistant of Heroica Hall's librarian Byblos. My employer is currently unavailable and this place has fallen into disarray, so I would like to request some help keeping the library in order. Your hard work will surely be rewarded."

RULES:

1. Compete to expand the official Heroica RPG Wiki in two different categories:

QUALITY: write the most in-depth new article into the wiki.

QUANTITY: write the most amount of new articles into the wiki.

2. To participate, register into Wikia and make sure to post your username here so I will know who wrote what. Always remember to log in to write articles.

3. The contest will run two weeks from today until the 4th of September. Only articles started and written during that time will count. I will judge the winner personally.

4. One participator can only win in one category; if the same person qualifies to win both, the quantity category win will be given to the person who has written the second most articles.

6. The winners of both categories will win access to the Scholar job class and 5000 gold. The prizes can be given to either of the player's characters, if he or she has two.

5. If you need hints how and what to write into the Wiki, don't hesitate to ask here. To give you a starting point, articles in need of attention include quests, regions, and player characters.

Credits to Flipz for suggesting this contest!

Looks great, I can't wait to get started but I got a couple of questions. For regions that have not been explored in quests and/or vague, are we supposed to put our own information there? Are we allowed to expand upon information regarding races or put new ones? And is background lore acceptable (i.e. a war between races)?

Looks great, I can't wait to get started but I got a couple of questions. For regions that have not been explored in quests and/or vague, are we supposed to put our own information there? Are we allowed to expand upon information regarding races or put new ones? And is background lore acceptable (i.e. a war between races)?

I'd suggest we stick to in canon information. Generally the principle in game has been if someone has staked their claim on a certain piece of lore, it's common courtesy for other QM's to respect that. The flip side of the coin is for QM's to not go making extravagant claims that severely limit how the rest of the community interacts with a certain topic. That unwritten rule sort of exists because QM's spend so much time investing in this game and I think introducing something like that into Wiki writing would be problematic because it doesn't take as much effort to contribute. If I wanted to, I could go stake a claim on a ton of Minotaur lore right now and no one would get any say in the matter. The Wiki, for the most part I feel, is for players to become "caught up" with the way things currently are, not so much for people to expand the world to where it hasn't gone yet, that's the role of the QM's and player characters. Just my thoughts though, so Sandy is free to contradict that. :shrug_oh_well: Edited by Waterbrick Down

I'd suggest we stick to in canon information. Generally the principle in game has been if someone has staked their claim on a certain piece of lore, it's common courtesy for other QM's to respect that. The flip side of the coin is for QM's to not go making extravagant claims that severely limit how the rest of the community interacts with a certain topic. That unwritten rule sort of exists because QM's spend so much time investing in this game and I think introducing something like that into Wiki writing would be problematic because it doesn't take as much effort to contribute. If I wanted to, I could go stake a claim on a ton of Minotaur lore right now and no one would get any say in the matter. The Wiki, for the most part I feel, is for players to become "caught up" with the way things currently are, not so much for people to expand the world to where it hasn't gone yet, that's the role of the QM's and player characters. Just my thoughts though, so Sandy is free to contradict that. :shrug_oh_well:

Agreed. :thumbup:

I'd suggest we stick to in canon information. Generally the principle in game has been if someone has staked their claim on a certain piece of lore, it's common courtesy for other QM's to respect that. The flip side of the coin is for QM's to not go making extravagant claims that severely limit how the rest of the community interacts with a certain topic. That unwritten rule sort of exists because QM's spend so much time investing in this game and I think introducing something like that into Wiki writing would be problematic because it doesn't take as much effort to contribute. If I wanted to, I could go stake a claim on a ton of Minotaur lore right now and no one would get any say in the matter. The Wiki, for the most part I feel, is for players to become "caught up" with the way things currently are, not so much for people to expand the world to where it hasn't gone yet, that's the role of the QM's and player characters. Just my thoughts though, so Sandy is free to contradict that. :shrug_oh_well:

I get that but I am mainly talking about areas that are mentioned in the wiki but have no page and were not mentioned in any quests. Perhaps there are other means for collecting such information on those areas? For races, I totally get that but how about something say? For example, what if I said a splinter group of a specific race has some affiliation with the race I created, Wakorians? I need to expand upon my guys. :wink:

I get that but I am mainly talking about areas that are mentioned in the wiki but have no page and were not mentioned in any quests. Perhaps there are other means for collecting such information on those areas? For races, I totally get that but how about something say? For example, what if I said a splinter group of a specific race has some affiliation with the race I created, Wakorians? I need to expand upon my guys. :wink:

I see what you're saying and since your new character is a new race, I wouldn't object to that information, just be careful with how you word things. If you say "all elves hate Wakorians, because all elves are stuck up pigs" then that's a problem, if you say "all Elf-Wakorians relations are often strained at best and hostile at worst because they see them as an affront to nature." then you've got something that can be built upon by other QM's without limiting them. I wouldn't go overboard on including tons of stuff that hasn't really been in the game yet. If you're just adding articles that you have no intention on ever incorporating into the game, then it kind of goes against the purpose of the Wikia in my mind. The point of the Wikia is to be an encyclopedia of what we've created, not necessarily a fan-fic library. :classic:

I see what you're saying and since your new character is a new race, I wouldn't object to that information, just be careful with how you word things. If you say "all elves hate Wakorians, because all elves are stuck up pigs" then that's a problem, if you say "all Elf-Wakorians relations are often strained at best and hostile at worst because they see them as an affront to nature." then you've got something that can be built upon by other QM's without limiting them. I wouldn't go overboard on including tons of stuff that hasn't really been in the game yet. If you're just adding articles that you have no intention on ever incorporating into the game, then it kind of goes against the purpose of the Wikia in my mind. The point of the Wikia is to be an encyclopedia of what we've created, not necessarily a fan-fic library. :classic:

Alright, I got a pretty solid idea in mind. Also, am I allowed to create a place for them? Just for the sake of lore not be conflicted, how old are Automatons and can they be found all over Olegaia? And same with Tritech workshops/factories?

Nice!

2. To participate, register into Wikia and make sure to post your username here so I will know who wrote what. Always remember to log in to write articles.

LindWhisperer.
3. ... I will judge the winner personally.
Translation: No posting one-word articles. :wink:

Just for the sake of lore not be conflicted, how old are Automatons and can they be found all over Olegaia? And same with Tritech workshops/factories?

The search function is your friend. :wink::classic:

The search function is your friend. :wink::classic:

Apparently not. :grin:

I've checked the Wiki pages that would have relevant information on Automata but I have not found anything regarding information on how old they can be. I suppose it's not really all that critical for what I have in mind. :wink:

Apparently not. :grin:

I've checked the Wiki pages that would have relevant information on Automata but I have not found anything regarding information on how old they can be. I suppose it's not really all that critical for what I have in mind. :wink:

The search function on the forum?... I'm sure we've had plenty of mentions of Automata and Golems in past quests.

The search function on the forum?... I'm sure we've had plenty of mentions of Automata and Golems in past quests.

I didn't get to check all of them so maybe. I really only checked the posts that were by Sandy so I know things would be canon.

I didn't get to check all of them so maybe. I really only checked the posts that were by Sandy so I know things would be canon.

Everything that exists so far is canon.

Two questions:

Since the already existing examples of quest pages varied a lot in how they were structured, I tried to come up with a single, workable design. Did I succeed, or is there anything I should change?

And, should Enemies and NPCs be organized alphabetically, or by when they appeared? Harvest Time has them listed alphabetically, but I can see arguments for the other way...

If some enterprising individual were to catalogue all (or at least, as many as are current) non-vanilla weapons, by their stats-at-time-of-acquisition and their quest of origination/other source, and creating a clean network of links to various effects & quests attached to each article would that user be entitled to reap the harvest of some several hundreds of pages? Or would you, Sandy, simply abash that user for their blatant attempt at gaming the system (even if they made a genuine effort to submit each as a polished and quality article)?

Depending on the answer, some other enterprising individuals better not steal the first individual's idea before they have a chance to actually make it happen :grin:

Just a heads-up, I've been tweaking some of the infoboxes and will continue to do so over the next few days. As a result, existing infoboxes already on pages may break and require editing; if this happens and you're not sure you can fix it yourself, just add the {{Attention}} template to the page and I'll try and get to it as soon as possible. :classic:

Example:

{{Attention|reason=broken infobox}}

Two questions:

Since the already existing examples of quest pages varied a lot in how they were structured, I tried to come up with a single, workable design. Did I succeed, or is there anything I should change?

And, should Enemies and NPCs be organized alphabetically, or by when they appeared? Harvest Time has them listed alphabetically, but I can see arguments for the other way...

1) Your structure looks cohesive enough, although I don't really like the gaps between the names on the lists. But that's just personal taste. :grin:

2) I would say alphabetically. It's just a simpler option.

Further investigation revealed a more robust weapon inventory on the wiki than I had originally found. After writing up a link-heavy page for the Dragonsbane Lance, I could totally adapt that for a bunch of gear, and convert the current weapon/equipment hubs into just that--hubs, rather than compilations of the equipment and their details.

1) Your structure looks cohesive enough, although I don't really like the gaps between the names on the lists. But that's just personal taste. :grin:

2) I would say alphabetically. It's just a simpler option.

Roger! Edited by Lind Whisperer

Further investigation revealed a more robust weapon inventory on the wiki than I had originally found. After writing up a link-heavy page for the Dragonsbane Lance, I could totally adapt that for a bunch of gear, and convert the current weapon/equipment hubs into just that--hubs, rather than compilations of the equipment and their details.

That would be a wasted effort, in my opinion. Not every weapon needs a page of its own - heck, most of them don't even have a picture! The hub page should remain with a list of the names and effects of each weapon, and the most "important" ones (ie. those with something to actually write about) should have a link to their own article.