Murdoch17

The Terror - large 3817 MOD - three-masted frigate - real life model

This model was originally inspired by set 3817 (Flying Dutchman) from the Spongebob Squarepants theme. It has been seriously up-sized in scale, and features three and a 1/2 masts with Technic panel sails and 14 "shooting" cannons. The ship also has a crows nest and a removable rear upper deck for access to the captain's cabin.

31927533586_507fe12eab_z.jpg

Background info:

In 1699 Captain Henry Walker found a portal to another world whereupon he, his crew and his ship (the Terror) stayed for 22 days. When he returned 225 years in our time had passed in their absence. His sword came from that other world and can rip / close holes in space, letting him escape from battles quickly and find targets easily. As of early 1925, he is searching for a home for his crew where they can pillage passing ships and live in relative peace. Johnny Thunder and Lord Sam Sinister want the sword, and both are desperate to get it. Lord Sam is forging new alliances with greater evils in order to obtain it first, while Johnny is trying to locate the last known owners.... which happens to be Captain Walker and the Terror.

31847757401_e6e7148e25_z.jpg

Here is the rear of the ship featuring the captain's cabin windows and a trio of lanterns.

31847757921_1520861f22_z.jpg

The ship has a crows nest on the second mast, and 14 working cannons to dispatch enemies to the briny deep.

31927533466_0f32c33059_z.jpg

The upper deck features the ship's wheel. This section is removable to get into the captain's cabin.

31847757521_d1b42ccb4a_z.jpg

The roof of the cabin is removable, with a table and chair for the Captain to sit at and read maps.

31964176325_80d21aaba7_z.jpg

Captain Henry Walker (in green) and his crew.

24457801494_6f3250f7d5_z.jpg

Here is the older version of the ship and it's Captain, which was destroyed to make the bigger ship seen above.

The LDD file for the newer version of the ship is available here.

Comments, questions, and complaints are welcome, but please keep in mind I only occasionally built ships and pirates are not my specialty by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Murdoch17

29130686095_eb35ed320d_z.jpg

I have redone the ship pictures and ldd file, with now three masts (instead of four) that look more realistic when compared to the original ship model above and the new ship below.

30302311815_3fb08c19ac_z.jpg

I think it's improving. don't you?

31458011030_d60cb27c1d_z.jpg

The winds of fate are changing, the tides of the sea of time are turning dark, and terrible danger is looming just beyond the horizon...

...something evil is building!

On 12/25/2016 at 4:49 AM, Mengish said:

Such a nice addition to the shipyard we have here. Congratulations!

Thank you! The real life model has has all it's pictures added to the first post. I hope you enjoy them!

Charming ship and very playable! You are ready for the next step in building ships if you like. That is a) create tumblehome (sides of the ship slightly moving inwards) and b) use cloth sails and string rigging. You are definitely on the right track and should you consider going further, these would be the next steps in my opinion.

On 12/25/2016 at 4:49 AM, Mengish said:

Such a nice addition to the shipyard we have here. Congratulations!

Thanks!

On 1/8/2017 at 6:22 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Charming ship and very playable! You are ready for the next step in building ships if you like. That is a) create tumblehome (sides of the ship slightly moving inwards) and b) use cloth sails and string rigging. You are definitely on the right track and should you consider going further, these would be the next steps in my opinion.

i'll consider it, but I was aiming for a Lego-like build, as if it were an official set made by the company. I also only use original parts, so string and cloth are out of the question... sorry!

EDIT: In case you are interested, I have also posted a battle cruiser here, from the WWI era. I would have posted it in pirates, but it is an Adventurers build an so it is there.

Edited by Murdoch17

slight bump:

36103900506_6c8324d7b9_z.jpg

The home port of skull island has just been posted in a seperate topic. Here we can see the ship arriving at the port which will be added to this model nearer to Christmas time this year.

Edited by Murdoch17