^ I'd say this is the only (but important) positive of how small the profits are. Doesn't make much sense for the big companies to sue an individual who makes few bucks by 'stealing' their IP... Once you'd start making some decent income and become widely popular with your product, you run in trouble. So in a way we should be lucky for how bad business this is :D

If your going to spend a lot of money - and lets face it some of the sets and some parts are not cheap - then paying a few more £ / $ / Euro on instructions that some one has been kind enough to sit and make should be budgeted for. If people did not make instructions then a lot of us would be struggling where to start. I do not have infinite amount of time on my hands as i work away from home for most of the year and the help which instructions gives in the short time i do have is great. If selling PDF's helps the seller recoup some of the money spent on parts then thats ok by me.

I have been reading the forums for a while and it seems as soon as a new MOC appears within the first day people are asking for instructions, please give some of these people time to build these files and try them out. If there is a mistake, there only human and it happens. If there is a rare colour, just see where it is in the build before complaining, maybe its hidden or just tweek the colour scheme a bit to suit.

Thanks to all who take time with the instructions for others, either free or charging for them.

I also wanted to make instruction of my MOCs (not just Technic ones) but not for sale, I'll share them for free, I don't even think about purchasing instructions from other AFOLs as I feel playing with LEGO a mean of sharing ideas and having fun. Also if I see something I like and build it, I'll give credits to the original author, doesn't matter if I used instructions or not.

In my opinion there's already enough speculation with LEGO both from retail and internet stores, there's no need to go fully capitalist and trying to milk money from everywhere you can (I see this like envy: if they can why shouldn't I take my little part too?).

Also I agree that IP "stealing" is bad, this is telling me that the "envy" of the last sentence is even more serious (I have no ideas, let's go make another Porsche and sell instructions), and we can see the problem even on LEGO Ideas (90% of the submissions are registered IP), this mean we are losing the battle with the fantasy and we are going full head towards "model kits".

But I can't blame just the constructors, even other people just like only what they recognize so everyone has his part on this system, it's a mental process which works for everything, not just with LEGO.

TL;DR

Let's invent new things (not IP ones) or mod the original sets to make them even better and leave to the LEGO Group the hassle to deal with the IP of others. And we should share our experiences without trying to get advantage of the ideas of other people, doing this on our free time, for fun, like on the various modding topics which can be found in this forum.

^ You do generalize things way to much. Eventhough something you said is true in some instances, it doesn't apply everytime. Re-creating existing things is completely natural. I understand completely that someone builds Porsche rather than some slightly different generic car. Building real things is one HUGE part of all MOCing and it is absolutely alright. It doesn't imply that we are loosing fantasy. Building out of fantasy is just other part and you don't need to try very hard to find gazzilions of builds of such fashion.

Most people I know to be seeling quality instructions charge quite little for it, or offer the buyer an optional donation, which is, as repeated many times, rather small compensation for the laborous task of creating the manual. It really takes a lot of time and most people will report that it is not very joyful (of yourse there are exceptions) work.

In most cases, instructions are actually demanded by other fans who are happy to pay something to support the work of a creator. Calling this 'trying to get advantage' coultn't be more false.

Thanks for all the replies so far. There are certainly a lot of cautionary tales of "if takes a lot of time and you won't make much money from it unless you're one of the best in the world". I know. I get it. This is just supposed to be a fun thing to do on the side. Since college I've turned three different hobbies into paid gigs - photography (started as a hobby, then it became my full-time job (I've since retired from photography, I got bored)), triathlon (raced at a high level, now I coach full time), and legos (I worked at an after school program that does Mindstorms programming and FLL competitions).

All I'm really trying to find out is the size of the market. Some have said "It's smaller than you think", but I don't really have any tangible numbers. For instance, take Lucio's Airport Crash Tender: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/Lucioswitch81/airport-crash-tender Few people will ever build this entire model due to the part requirements. I have almost all the parts and only lack the bottles and the S bricks (or one, I can't remember how many it takes). I bought the instructions just to see how it was made. I'm not sure if I'll ever build it.

So, if Lucio has sold 10 copies of the instructions at 12 euros each, well, that's not so good. 100 copies is better, but still nowhere worth the time to make the instructions. 1000 copies on the other hand is not a bad time investment to make instructions - especially if you're good at doing it.

So my question has more to do with market research than "should I do this or not?". Of course I know most people aren't going to want to just post "ohhh yeah, I've made $4500 from selling instructions from everything I've made before expenses", but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

This is going to sound like a sensitive comment.... but I assure you, it is not meant to discourage or hurt. But I do think it needs to be mentioned.

Even the greats have provided information that instructions don't provide much bucks. Sariel is one of most popular builders out there.... not to mentioned he often does reviews, etc. for TLG and probably has more insight into the Lego community than most out there, and even he has said numerous times he doesn't make much money off instructions. You bring up Lucio..... another great builder..... but I see the conversation going in the direction of perhaps placing the cart before the horse.

The builder you speak of, that potentially could bring in some dough for instructions have already established themselves and their builds. They have proven that they can build something that is high demand. Perhaps the thing to do is first create something that is widely popular, with some form of fan base, and then inquire to those fans about any interest in instructions and what people would be willing to pay. Not the other way around.........asking for interest or information from others before creating something that has the potential interest.

Again, not meant to be overly critical. My apologies if you have created something of such interest.... if so then tie it to this post. If not.... then perhaps start from the build and then go from there.....

Consider this just an (un)educated guess. I don't have any real data to support it. Anyway, from just observing the community (here and on other forums/websites) I think that you'd struggle selling few hundreds copies. To reach 1000-ish sales, I can only imagine you'd need some marketing - direct effort to promote your instructions. Not just a forum post here and there. I have no doubt that there is a thousand of people who'd buy your instructions (given that these are quality ones for a good mode), regardless whether they actually build it or not. The tricky part would I think be to find them :)

This is going to sound like a sensitive comment.... but I assure you, it is not meant to discourage or hurt. But I do think it needs to be mentioned.

Even the greats have provided information that instructions don't provide much bucks. Sariel is one of most popular builders out there.... not to mentioned he often does reviews, etc. for TLG and probably has more insight into the Lego community than most out there, and even he has said numerous times he doesn't make much money off instructions. You bring up Lucio..... another great builder..... but I see the conversation going in the direction of perhaps placing the cart before the horse.

The builder you speak of, that potentially could bring in some dough for instructions have already established themselves and their builds. They have proven that they can build something that is high demand. Perhaps the thing to do is first create something that is widely popular, with some form of fan base, and then inquire to those fans about any interest in instructions and what people would be willing to pay. Not the other way around.........asking for interest or information from others before creating something that has the potential interest.

Again, not meant to be overly critical. My apologies if you have created something of such interest.... if so then tie it to this post. If not.... then perhaps start from the build and then go from there.....

That doesn't really bother me. I'm well aware I haven't had much to show here on Eurobricks. I'm also aware it seems silly to ask about selling instructions when honestly I don't even know how to create them yet (well, I know what software is used and one can learn anything on the internet, I just haven't done it yet).

My building philosophy is I want to build things that are large, have good playability, do not consider the economy of parts (meaning putting expensive parts in it is fine), and the model is in the style of current generation technic models. Studded beams are fine and I like the simplicity of studs, but a well built studless model is much more appealing to me. Nothing I build will be a replica of a real-world vehicle / IP. In fact, the crane I plan to build doesn't even exist in real life (in the same way that the recent Bucket Wheel Excavator doesn't really look like the ones in real life. It has the features, but it looks very different - like a toy version). My crane will have an extending boom, but the boom will not tilt. It will be lifted, but then only extend vertically. I'm not sure of many real world cranes that do this. I'm doing this because the strength to weight ratio of lego does NOT do well in cantilever applications. It does just fine in pure compression and tension though.

Anyway, I learned years ago that anybody can post a list of what features they want to include in a MOC. Actually building that MOC with those features is a completely different thing. I probably won't post anything about what I'm building until they're done. If I had to sum up my ultimate goal it would be "build a mobile crane larger than anybody else has that embodies the spirit of the Liebherr cranes, while simultaneously using the LEGO technic pieces in a way that most complements their properties. The model should be faster and capable of lifting more than any other crane created of comparable size". Aesthetics are not as important (and that's not my strength anyway. I'm better at physics than being an artist).

Here's my Youtube channel that I haven't updated in 1.5 years because I've been busy working and sorting lego for some guy in exchange for more lego. My legos have been in the closet for the last 3 months (and untouched since March), but they're going to come back out in October and I plan to get back to building.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKr3dFNNBYggv_eDc5ofg

Why make you with this answer a (Help) topic on ?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hmpf_bad:

I don't understand what you said.

A mod added the [Help] tag. All I wanted to know was about how much money people were making from selling instructions. That's the only unanswered question in the thread.

The original thread title was "how much money are you making selling instructions?"

Edited by Technic Builder

That doesn't really bother me. I'm well aware I haven't had much to show here on Eurobricks. I'm also aware it seems silly to ask about selling instructions when honestly I don't even know how to create them yet (well, I know what software is used and one can learn anything on the internet, I just haven't done it yet).

My building philosophy is I want to build things that are large, have good playability, do not consider the economy of parts (meaning putting expensive parts in it is fine), and the model is in the style of current generation technic models. Studded beams are fine and I like the simplicity of studs, but a well built studless model is much more appealing to me. Nothing I build will be a replica of a real-world vehicle / IP. In fact, the crane I plan to build doesn't even exist in real life (in the same way that the recent Bucket Wheel Excavator doesn't really look like the ones in real life. It has the features, but it looks very different - like a toy version). My crane will have an extending boom, but the boom will not tilt. It will be lifted, but then only extend vertically. I'm not sure of many real world cranes that do this. I'm doing this because the strength to weight ratio of lego does NOT do well in cantilever applications. It does just fine in pure compression and tension though.

Anyway, I learned years ago that anybody can post a list of what features they want to include in a MOC. Actually building that MOC with those features is a completely different thing. I probably won't post anything about what I'm building until they're done. If I had to sum up my ultimate goal it would be "build a mobile crane larger than anybody else has that embodies the spirit of the Liebherr cranes, while simultaneously using the LEGO technic pieces in a way that most complements their properties. The model should be faster and capable of lifting more than any other crane created of comparable size". Aesthetics are not as important (and that's not my strength anyway. I'm better at physics than being an artist).

Here's my Youtube channel that I haven't updated in 1.5 years because I've been busy working and sorting lego for some guy in exchange for more lego. My legos have been in the closet for the last 3 months (and untouched since March), but they're going to come back out in October and I plan to get back to building.

https://www.youtube....NNBYggv_eDc5ofg

Sounds ambitious. I checked out your channel and the beginning of the crane looks promising. Good luck! Give us updates when they arrive. I am also a big fan of large cranes..... mobile or crawler..... I think large cranes have a certain beauty to them.......

Why don't you just PM some builders for some sales numbers?

And also check rebrickable for the "users who own this" numbers. I don't think there is orders of magnitude difference between those numbers and real sales. I think a few hundred sells is the most that the even the most popular builders make.

For your plans for large crane: I think with large models you have less chance to sell numerous instructions or complete kits. I may be totally wrong, but money seems to be in regular brick building and building for companies that see Lego as a way of branding. Like Edwin with his ships building replicas in response to orders because companies think it looks good to put models of their products in the visitor areas. And most people and companies still doesn't see Technic as appealing as bricks builds (I guess one reason is that they and their visitors wouldn't play with the models anyway).

Also, Edwin, as a side effect, sells SMALL ship kits to anyone.

Edited by Lipko

I highly doubt a mobile crane is the kind of vehicle you must do to sell a lot of instructions. There are tons of cranes on the Internet. And there is 42009, which is fine for many people.

Just my 2 cents.

I highly doubt a mobile crane is the kind of vehicle you must do to sell a lot of instructions. There are tons of cranes on the Internet. And there is 42009, which is fine for many people.

Just my 2 cents.

Amen to that.

Looking at Modaca's impressive list of MOCs on Rebrickable, I can only come to the conclusion that very few (actually, I would be proud of these number) people actually own his sets (around 50 max). Let's say the number of people who buy instructions is five times higher than the number who actually build and thus own the "set". Then you are looking at 250 instructions max! And we are talking about a very skilled and popular builder. I personally think it's a safe assumption that you will have a very hard time selling more than 100 instructions.

But like I said earlier; why don't you just try one, enjoy the project, create the instructions and see what happens. Don't expect to earn lots of cash, but enjoy the ride and see what happens...

Agree with above written.

Also consider, the larger the build, the more You shrink the circle of people who will have the ability to build it. Same with using rare pieces, what You don't seem to mind. To be honest, it feels like a bad strategy already.

What about starting with small, and medum size sets? Wider audience, fun and good learning stuff - even for You for the software part.

Also advantage would be, that You will not get negative impression in case the instructions doesn't sell well (maybe at all), although You put enormous energy in it - this can taste bitter.

I understand Your high ambitions coming from sport - which is great, but let place as ideal Icarus from Madoca, and not the mythical one. :classic:

edit: typo

Edited by agrof

Also consider, the larger the build, the more You shrink the circle of people who will have the ability to build it.

What about starting with small, and medum size sets? Wider audience, fun and good learning stuff - even for You for the software part.

But when it is not big enough, then people can do some reverse engineering and built it without buying the instruction...

Things are not simple.

I meant by ability: financial or on-hand parts-wise. Not everyone willing to disassemble all the models just to build one (f.e.: me), or spend hundreds of cash by buying extra parts.

I would say, it appends... there might be are small sets with 200-300 parts, where the exterior hides the essentials in photos, and also not every connections are evident. Reverse engineers are specific small (marginal) set of a small Technic AFOL group. And there is only one Dokludi... yet. :wink:

Edited by agrof

I see the title and I laugh, I think it's the first year that I don´t lose money :wink: , I did instructions (all free for the moment) but I never thought gain more than spending a year, less than 200 euros usually.

Not technic and I did it for free with optional donation, but my modular flower shop allowed me to be 10 Euro reacher ;)

There are 3 users claiming to own one.

Clicking "Build it" button on Rebrickable doesn't count towards "owned".

Clicking "Build it" button on Rebrickable doesn't count towards "owned".

Well, this button has been clicked for my MOC more than thousand times easily, about 50 times a day on average. You need to add a MOC to your collection the same way you do it with sets in order for it to show as owned by you.

Edited by Mestari

What's important here, I think, is the realization "first comes the skill, then comes the money".

With that I mean, if you want to earn money doing some thing X, first you should be good at doing X (where "good" means "better than people doing it for free". So, in the case of creating LEGO building instructions, first make sure you're better than me :wink:). You can't start earning money before you get good, because if you aren't good, people won't pay you. So, instead of picking something you want to earn money with, and then trying to become good, turn it upside down. Do what you like to do, and show the world, and learn from the experience. Then, over the years, you will become better and better at it. And then, after lots and lots of time, you might consider earning money doing that.

I did this with game development. I started somewhere around the year 1999, with no financial motivation (it's just a hobby), and over the years I became good enough to make it into a job. The first income arrived in 2012.

Edited by Erik Leppen