28430278543_c958b567b2_c.jpg

I have always wondered of what exact origin my last name “Klapheke” stemmed from, and what exactly it means. I decided to research it, and, being that some in my family are dedicated genealogists, it wasn’t long before I found the story behind it…

Circa 12th century, somewhere in Müschen, near Laer, Germany. Hubertus de Rode, a knight who lived on a fief that was owned by a local bishop. The knight’s property (a mill and a house) led to some farms of a church-village, all of which was surrounded by a fence.

It is speculated that Hubertus de Rode’s property was close to the edge of this fence, and that he might have been the gatekeeper, opening the “klapheck (a type of opening gate)” to visitors and townsfolk. It is most likely then that Hubertus de Rode then earned the title “Hubertus of Swing-Gate,” or “Hubertus Klapheck.”

Klapheck would later change to Klapheke as the ages passed by.

29047984465_1094cf516f_c.jpg

28761355390_51726ba251_c.jpg

So there you have it. A dedication to the first Klapheke. MOC-wise I didn’t want this creation to be “run-of-the-mill” MOC (heheheh…), so I tried my best to add as many details as I was able.

Special thanks to Atte and Cesbrick for heavily inspiring me.

Also, big thanks to my workplace Bricks & Minifigs for supplying me extra parts to build this MOC. You guys are awesome. :D

The awesome colour-scheme creates a beautifull atmosphere! :thumbup: great MOC!

Very cool story to what inspired this excellent build. The building design is quite unique, and I like the stream :thumbup:

What a cool way to combine your favourite hobby with some family history :classic: Your build looks simply wonderful, with so many nice little things to let the eye wander. Amazing work :classic::thumbup:

Very nice! At first, I thought this was a really nice build, but hearing the story that went with it made it even better. It is a beautiful build, though. Lots of really nice foliage everywhere, and the house is great. The flat blue water looks wonderful.

Nice work!