Sign in to follow this  
Dubbadgrim

Börzerk's Journey

On their way to the surface of Nocturnus, Börzerk Baël and his warriors stumble across some ancient ruins. They quickly discover a fearsome beast inhabits the lower chambers, while scorching lava flows overhead.

Börzerk doubts his crew's ability to fight head on, but quickly devises a better tactic – by provoking the animal enough, it might just find the forces of nature finishing the job instead...

Built for Stage 2 of the Guilds of Historica Warlord community build (32x32 size limit)

My stage 1 build, introducing the character.

28813966000_12f9e06f4e_z.jpg

28995355662_42734a9d32_z.jpg

29100378545_8257bccd24_z.jpg

Edited by Dubbadgrim

The collapsing wall is defiently my favourite part, closely followed by everything else. The base looks really really good and the contrast between the smooth lava and rugged walls works perfectly.

This is pretty amazing! I love the wall texturing, and the base is really awesome too

I second The Maestro in saying that the collapsing wall is a brilliant little detail; the beast is poised, captured in brick form a split second before all havoc breaks loose. I love the lava flows and the ruins themselves. Obviously the ruins are built to withstand the heat of the lava, as it is seen flowing over a little bridge on its way to the beast, which makes me wonder what kind of people built them. The minifig posing is great, but I am particularly fond of the claws of the monster poking through the cracks; I saw that and said,"Wow, that is awesome!" to myself. The use of chains and bones to create some ambiance works well, too. Great work.

In your story, are Börzerk Baël and his warriors lava-born creatures? You describe them as making their way to the surface of Nocturnus, and I see one of them up to his waist in lava, so I assume so. I ask because I am planning to develop a volcano-dwelling people who arise from the magma chamber using the Nexo-bad guys myself, and am interested in seeing what others are doing with them. This looks great!

The lava curves here are stellar, and I really like the way the monster is gripping the walls and sticking his head and tail out. You've achieved some very dynamic action here. :thumbup: Great work!

I second The Maestro in saying that the collapsing wall is a brilliant little detail; the beast is poised, captured in brick form a split second before all havoc breaks loose. I love the lava flows and the ruins themselves. Obviously the ruins are built to withstand the heat of the lava, as it is seen flowing over a little bridge on its way to the beast, which makes me wonder what kind of people built them. The minifig posing is great, but I am particularly fond of the claws of the monster poking through the cracks; I saw that and said,"Wow, that is awesome!" to myself. The use of chains and bones to create some ambiance works well, too. Great work.

In your story, are Börzerk Baël and his warriors lava-born creatures? You describe them as making their way to the surface of Nocturnus, and I see one of them up to his waist in lava, so I assume so. I ask because I am planning to develop a volcano-dwelling people who arise from the magma chamber using the Nexo-bad guys myself, and am interested in seeing what others are doing with them. This looks great!

I have to agree with Henji on all points! Awesome base, lovely ruins... This build is complete! :thumbup:

Edited by TitusV

That's a great build !

The collapsing wall is really well done and the lava rivers are just magic ! I could feel the fluidity of the flow just by viewing it ! Amazing rendering you managed to have !

Excellent job !

Thankyou very much everyone !

Thanks Henjin for your kind words. I never fleshed out the story a whole lot, but being born from the lava is definitely a possibility. And the whole 'Faceless' thing came along because I loved how creepy it looked and how well it worked with the back printing on the heads. Feel free to tie in anything you write with these guys here!

Just great - you are my master of Nocturnus!

Thanks Cap, I hope to bring something a little different to the table :thumbup:

Edited by Dubbadgrim

The ruins look amazing. I love the lava flows and the texturing and as others have pointed out, the collapsing wall.

I'm not quite sure what to say about this build. :wub: :wub:

You have such unique texture style, and it always looks absolutely amazing :thumbup: Besides the brilliant lava falls, wonderfully detailed ruins, organic rockwork, and frightening creature, I'm amazed by your base that is 3d on the bottom.

I think your vignette for the Summer Joust was your first time doing that? In any case, it's an incredibly genius idea, and I hope it gains popularity in the LEGO community :classic:

Excellent build, Dubbadgrim, the ruins are great, and I really like the orange lava flows as well! :thumbup: Wonderful beastie and posing as well - and definitely a pretty clever tactic! :laugh: Brilliant job with the collapsing wall as well!

Whoa, what a clever and perfectly executed build! This is the kind of build that makes Nocturnus such a warm and cozy place to be. A top notch Warlord build for sure.

Really digging that unique base, the lava flow and the crumbling aqueduct/lava dam.

Nice! I like how you incorporated NK Lava Monsters into the build, as well as how you built the gravestones.

Edited by BrickJagger

Fantastic build! I love the contrast between the smooth lava and the crumbling walls and rocky landscape! The beast looks appropriately terrifying as well!

Just great - you are my master of Nocturnus!

Hey! There are still a few other guys around in this guild.

At first, Ilove the fact that you created a people that actually lives under the surface. I find the underrealm must be an important area of Nocturnus, simply for the fact that it houses all of the Drow, Dark Elves, worms and all kinds of sun hating tribes. And the size of the guild territory is a bit compact compared to the other guilds, at least on the surface. So the must be a lot going on in the deep.

That ruin is definitely standing out. And the overall colour scheme is excellent. I can really imagine this being a part of a cave.

Everyone, thanks for your comments and feedback.

I think your vignette for the Summer Joust was your first time doing that?

Thanks SK, I did it for the prequel to this build (character introduction) and then refined it a bit for the Summer Joust entry :)

Wow! That wall... :thumbup: The lava flows look awesome. What piece is used in the lava fall above the beast's head?

Thanks ! Apologies for the late reply, it is this rock piece from 'Life on Mars' series.

$_35.JPG

At first, Ilove the fact that you created a people that actually lives under the surface. I find the underrealm must be an important area of Nocturnus, simply for the fact that it houses all of the Drow, Dark Elves, worms and all kinds of sun hating tribes. And the size of the guild territory is a bit compact compared to the other guilds, at least on the surface. So the must be a lot going on in the deep.

Thanks Jacob, yes in the dark is where all the real fun happpens !