Sign in to follow this  
Rotundus

German translation request...

Hi All... This is a request I'd like to ask of our German speaking friends here. I have a cat that I would like to name "Iron Paw", or maybe "Steel Claw"... But I would like to do so in German. Since my language skills in German are next to nothing I need a little help, please. Thank you all in advance. Your help is certainly appreciated.

Hello!

Well, that must be a quite fierce cat. I hope not though. :wink: :laugh:

Being a native speaker I glady help you:

Iron Paw: Eisenpfote

Steel Claw: Stahlklaue

Have more ideas? I gladly translate them too! :classic:

Thank you Littleworlds! Not at all, she's a real sweetheart :wub:... Except when I try to tickle her belly, (ouch :classic:). Just a little clarification... Eisenpfote is pronounced I - sen - fote? and Stahlklaue is pronounced Stall - klow (like cow)?

I wonder if these are accurate?

Eisenpfote

Stahlklaue

Thank you zux, I hadn't thought of that solution! :thumbup:

Stahlklaue is properly pronounced, but google says Eisenpforte, which means Iron Gate instead of Eisenpfote, so just try to ignore the r and the name works :laugh:

Edited by Littleworlds

Ah-ha... Google translate. I feel kind of dumb... should have thought of that one myself :blush: . Oh well. Thank you to all of you who have responded.

Eisenpfote is great. Sounds good, and for a sweet little kitty that can be tough, I think "iron paw" conveys that better than "steel claw." Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new feline friend either way! :classic:

Google Translate has left me slightly confused... But I think it will be ok. Iron Paw is being translated as Eisen Paw, and Steel Claw was turned into Stahlkralle. (At least for me.) I think Eisen Paw is going to win this. I like how it rolls off the tongue.

Another German chiming in...

Of the two options I definitely favour "Eisenpfote"/"Iron Paw" - it sounds both fierce and cute. It also just sounds better to me in German than the much more brutal "Stahlklaue".

On 8/28/2020 at 10:25 PM, Karl Marks said:

You always need to double-check unknown words through official translators, otherwise you may find yourself in an awkward situation.

Indeed. You should never mark a parcel you’re sending to a German-speaking country as a ‘Gift’. It doesn’t mean what you think (unless you speak German) and would be against international postal regulations!

And when in Japan, even an Italian restaurant, don’t say the word for cheers in Italian which sounds like ‘chin-chin’. Means something completely different - and rude - in Japanese!

Edited by AmperZand